Deer Numbers

RobbyW

That's fair. I have no issue with the depredation permits AS LONG AS the farmer / landowner actually allows hunting. But in cases where no hunting is allowed but the farmer just wipes them out all summer long I have major issues with that.
So would yoh kill the first 2 spikes that walk out and be tagged out? Hunters wouldn't solve the problem

Wildcat

It's up to the farmer to give permission to hunt only to those who will kill a bunch of antlerless deer. Make that a requirement of permission to hunt.
He's right. Here in KY on our farms I have been pushing my family and friends who hunt on them to shoot as many antlerless deer as they can. Here we are in an UNLIMITED DOE ZONE.

Did they? Nope. Here's the results of holding out for a buck. These pictures are on the farm with 300 acres of beans. The blond/brown is where they ate the beans You can't see it all in these 3 pictures, they only show about half the farm.

Last edited:

Wildcat

One other thing. Over my life, I've hunted in different states and I've seen where the farmers get depredation permits and shoot the deer they do not always go check on them. If they hit a deer then it runs off into the woods they don't bother to go look for it. Happens everywhere, bucks, does, and fawns.

kentuckylakebuck1

I disagree with that to. It is his land, he works it, he pays the taxes on it, etc. If he doesn't want anyone to hunt, that is his business. In this crazy SUE happy world we live in, actually don't blame someone for not allowing hunting.
I don't think that's what's he said, I think what he was saying was "the landowner should not be able to obtain a wipe em all out permit unless he attempted to kill some during the hunting season or let someone attempt first! and this is my opinion too!

knightrider

I don't think that's what's he said, I think what he was saying was "the landowner should not be able to obtain a wipe em all out permit unless he attempted to kill some during the hunting season or let someone attempt first! and this is my opinion too!
Why should a farmer have stipulations on a permit that affecting his living? If theres enough damage it doesn't matter if he has let someone hunt or not, its his crops, his land, his bottomline!

knightrider

how do you that my living isn't coming from hunting?
Its definitely not coming from hunting the farm thats being destroyed by pest so its really none of your buisness or anyone else if he lets people hunt or not or how many they kill to fix their problem! But , but my outfitter buisness is five miles down the road and they are killing all my deer- well guess you shouldve killed more or kept at your place😂

kentuckylakebuck1

Its definitely not coming from hunting the farm thats being destroyed by pest so its really none of your buisness or anyone else if he lets people hunt or not or how many they kill to fix their problem! But , but my outfitter buisness is five miles down the road and they are killing all my deer- well guess you shouldve killed more or kept at your place😂
my farms herd has been wiped out by 60%, by my neighbors farmer who doesn't own the neighboring farm, who did not have a problem with deer eating the crops until the game Warden came and told him he needed to kill all the deer in the neighborhood. this being my point

knightrider

my farms herd has been wiped out by 60%, by my neighbors farmer who doesn't own the neighboring farm, who did not have a problem with deer eating the crops until the game Warden came and told him he needed to kill all the deer in the neighborhood. this being my point
My point being you can't control what people do on land you dont own, now why would warden tell him that if he didnt have a problem? Sounds like a mighty big im pissed off they killed all my deer story😂

kentuckylakebuck1

My point being you can't control what people do on land you dont own, now why would warden tell him that if he didnt have a problem? Sounds like a mighty big im pissed off they killed all my deer story😂
no I'm not pissed they killed the deer, I'm am very much an advocate for private property rights! but why does he get to do things on his place that he does not own, that I cant do own my property which I do own? its as simple as that for me! and to answer your question about why the GW would go to him and ask that he kill the deer, I have no idea! I would love for you to tell me!

knightrider

no I'm not pissed they killed the deer, I'm am very much an advocate for private property rights! but why does he get to do things on his place that he does not own, that I cant do own my property which I do own? its as simple as that for me! and to answer your question about why the GW would go to him and ask that he kill the deer, I have no idea! I would love for you to tell me!
If he's renting it for crops and has a certain percentage of damage than yep he will get depredation permit wether he owns it or not, i just dont buy the gw asking someone to wipe out the deer without he was called first but i wasnt there so theres that

BigAl

On the 1000 acres we hunt, we kill less than 20 deer a year, every year. But I hear of farmers in the area shooting hundreds (may or may not be accurate, but they've said so themselves). Had to tell if the reduced numbers is due to CWD or farmers, but it would be good to have some transparency.

Latest posts