Deer pee

Tn Joe

Out scouting yesterday and came across several spots where deer had peed, but 2 particularly stood out. Spots looked rather bloody.

IMG_9310.jpeg

philsanchez76

That is wild.
I wonder if it's a correlation to the prolonged freeze and not having any access to water or high moisture feed? Basically just super dehydrated?
Any source of open water in the general area?
Was out scouting in the snow this last week too and I definitely saw some pees that looked like this. I thought it was dehydration as well. But a fawn coming into heat would be a decent explanation as well.

7mm08

Cold weather. Burning muscle fibers to produce body heat.

Rhabdomyolysis
Also called: rhabdo

1706055724008.png

It produces a very dark urine that looks like blood. I had a GSP go into it one day while I was bird hunting with her. She just happened to come by me and pee and I noticed how dark it was. We quit and went straight to the vet..,,,,, they gave her fluids over the next 2 days via injecting saline under the skin. Recovered without problem.

This was a terrible stretch of cold and if the deer were already stressed, under nourished that's my bet.

Last edited:

backyardtndeer

Stress of the weather and lack of food for everything being frozen likely caused some does to lose the fawns they were carrying, miscarry. Like in people, there is blood involved when that happens. Could be what is being seen.

Pretty sure I read about this happening several years ago somewhere.

Latest posts