New Deer Units

killingtime 41

I admit I don't know how the temp transport tag works but what the poachers here say is they just put a temp tag on the deer and go home. As long as they make it home, they never actually check the deer and thus doesn't count against their buck limit. If they were to get checked, they have the temp tag on.
Ever hear of folks buying licenses for multiple family members. Only problem is those family members don't hunt. And one guy is out doing the hunting and killing using the family members tags up first before he even thinks about using his. I've had multiple people tell me that. And how it was completely legal since the game was being checked in. Arguing with me about it. So I said you been doing it all these years you must be right. Because you can't fix dumb and you sure can't fix dumb and dishonest.

Bone Collector

I just looked at the TN Wildlife magazine that came in the mail.

In the new units, Rutherford and Wilson counties are in the same unit as White, Overton and Putnam Counties. Wilson's annual deer harvest more than doubles each of the three Counties I listed on the Eastern side of unit 3.

Question for the group...

Does it make sense for these counties to all share the same limits on antlerless deer?

It really won't make a difference to me as I have only killed two does in the last 3 years off my lease in Wilson County, one of which my son shot. I have to imagine deer densities are wildly different in the areas I mentioned.
I came on for this very topic and that same question. I don't shoot many does on my place in Rutherford. I don't have a ton of private land to hunt anymore. I have hunted in Dekalb county. I see plenty of deer, but they were not in the same unit as us so we couldn't shoot does. Seemed odd. I'm not advocating for 3/day and have never done so even though I could have on more than one occasion, but I do not want DeKalb's old regs being forced onto us. IDK what the answer is, but it seems like an odd grouping to me. I would have thought Wilson, Rutherford and Cannon would have stayed with the group to our left.

Bone Collector

Ever hear of folks buying licenses for multiple family members. Only problem is those family members don't hunt. And one guy is out doing the hunting and killing using the family members tags up first before he even thinks about using his. I've had multiple people tell me that. And how it was completely legal since the game was being checked in. Arguing with me about it. So I said you been doing it all these years you must be right. Because you can't fix dumb and you sure can't fix dumb and dishonest.
land owner exemption is used the same way. You either follow the rules or you don't. My issues is rules being followed it is the deer limits being messed with. In Rutherford and Wilson where I hunt no reduction is really needed.

Biggun4214

When the check in system at least partially worked, hunters got their kill tag when they purchased a license. That license had to be attached to the deer as it went to the closest physical check in station. When the hunter completed the check in, they received their next tag. There was no printing off of tags by the hunter. If they were checked with deer hunting weapons and no valid kill tag, it was a ticket.
Also the temporary tags had to have the date punched out. No date punched also resulted in a ticket.

Remi

Few years ago one of our neighbors did this on his family land. He killed 19 bucks in one year. Multiple people reported him and the warden never even dropped by for a visit.

Latest posts