Deer hunting new river wma

Madbowh

Looking for some advice / help from anyone who deer hunts new river wma .
Loved it, until brimstone 4 wheeler rental became a thing. Who is anyone to completely take over public land, literally areas you can't go anymore because they won't fix roads with brimstone 4 wheeler rental signs everywhere. Not to mention how much trash I see all over in there now, mainly beer cans and beer bottles.

It's an absolute disgrace what brimstone rental place is doing there. 20+years I hunted a section you can't get in anymore because of their trails. They have some trails I used to drive my truck down and park that I have to stop 5 miles before where I used to park.

Why is the state not dealing with this? Is the state/twra low or allowing this to happen?

Squirle hunter

Loved it, until brimstone 4 wheeler rental became a thing. Who is anyone to completely take over public land, literally areas you can't go anymore because they won't fix roads with brimstone 4 wheeler rental signs everywhere. Not to mention how much trash I see all over in there now, mainly beer cans and beer bottles.

It's an absolute disgrace what brimstone rental place is doing there. 20+years I hunted a section you can't get in anymore because of their trails. They have some trails I used to drive my truck down and park that I have to stop 5 miles before where I used to park.

Why is the state not dealing with this? Is the state/twra low

I wish they would but that is their new pot of gold. I remember when it was pristine as well. I used to go in at the head of Smokey and could take my truck all the way thru to brimstone the roads was a little ruff but manageable. Now if you ain't got a 4 wheeler You ain't even making it up the mountain. I have been so disgusted with twra on this. If their going to allow it they need to fix the roads stop it during hunting season or at least monitor it with rules like no loud music no loud pipes no riding except on the gravel no doing donuts on strip trails. You know common sense stuff that most should take into consideration when hunting season is happening. As for the original post you might want to look around Smokey creek area and around the stinking creek. Look for 2 year old cuts around oak flats best way to learn it is to just go hike and enjoy it I try to get as far away from brimstone,wind rock as possible.

Setterman

Why is the state not dealing with this? Is the state/twra low or allowing this to happen?
It's an atrocity what has happened. I finally just gave up trying to hunt that area. Royal Blue (north cumberland) might be worse. How can you call something a Wildlife Management Area yet the the atvs destroy it? TWRA completely sold out the hunters and should be embarrassed for what they've done

PickettSFHunter

The same thing has happened to a state forest and a WMA where I live. Hunters and others can no longer enjoy the area, just the side by side riders. Hunter dollars go for this stuff and it just gets taken away by one user group that absolutely destroys the environment. I thought the TWRA getting ownership of the land was the best thing ever just a few years ago but it has turned out to be the worst thing that could have happened. This now WMA was better conserved when it was private land, that's freaking sad.

bigjohn

2-Step Enabled

I wish they would but that is their new pot of gold. I remember when it was pristine as well. I used to go in at the head of Smokey and could take my truck all the way thru to brimstone the roads was a little ruff but manageable. Now if you ain't got a 4 wheeler You ain't even making it up the mountain. I have been so disgusted with twra on this. If their going to allow it they need to fix the roads stop it during hunting season or at least monitor it with rules like no loud music no loud pipes no riding except on the gravel no doing donuts on strip trails. You know common sense stuff that most should take into consideration when hunting season is happening. As for the original post you might want to look around Smokey creek area and around the stinking creek. Look for 2 year old cuts around oak flats best way to learn it is to just go hike and enjoy it I try to get as far away from brimstone,wind rock as possible.
What else is depressing for me is to see all these farms near this area being bought up and turned into camp grounds or cabins . I know they have the right to purchase the land but I hate knowing what it once was and where it's headed.

Setterman

What else is depressing for me is to see all these farms near this area being bought up and turned into camp grounds or cabins . I know they have the right to purchase the land but I hate knowing what it once was and where it's headed.
Stinking creek road used to be a really nice drive. Pretty valley through the mountains. Now it's one dang campground after another and the road is clogged with ATV's. It's a shame

Setterman

They have destroyed tackett and you cant get away from them to hunt, cant even use a wheeler in there any more the ruts are so deep, thousand and thousand of tons of soil loss every time it rains! Its a damn shame what twra has let happen for a dollar
I've grouse hunted Tackett for decades and the roads are so bad there is no chance to get a truck to the places I've hunted since I was a kid. The amount of trash the riders leave is disgusting as well.

When and what could happen to get this addressed? My guess is nothing as Twra is just a joke of an organization

redblood

I truly believe that atvs/side by sides and jet skis are the most destructive things ever invented, to the great outdoors

Were exactly is the Smokey creek area ?

I have just started looking heavily into areas off the beaten path close to stinking creek that the riders CANNOT get to .

But here is the truth I have killed my biggest bucks right by Atv trails

Gravey

Wake boats
Now let's not put all into the same pile. There's an a-hole in every kind of watercraft out there. I'm a pleasure boater 95% of the time and fish the other 5% if I'm with a buddy that has a fishing boat. See knuckleheads driving everything on the water.

As for the wma in question I have no idea but Franklin State Forest on Monteagle got shutdown to all off-road vehicles. I think it can still be hunted but you've got walk everywhere and it's a ton of ground. Wife and I would take our Talon up there a couple times each year and just ease around and it was easy to see where the dummies tore it all up and assuming what shut it down. We had no idea and drove up there to see signs up everywhere. Looked it up and it said closed until at least some time in 2024. People have no common sense regardless of the resource I'm question.

Latest posts