1705890216560.png

TheLBLman

Current map
. . . .
. . ..
Proposed map
Still 6 units, no more, no less.
So seems more similar than different?

More or less just assigning them a number instead of a letter?

But have to wonder . . . . . . .

Will the entire new Unit 1 be more like the old CWD Zone,
or more like the old Unit L?

And will the new Unit 2 simply replace what was Unit L?

TheLBLman

This would be my assumption after watch the proposals video.
If the CWD rules remain, can't transport a field-dressed deer from the west side of TN River to the east side of TN River? Many area hunters live on either side of the river (KY Lake), and hunt both sides, such as hunting in both Stewart & Henry Counties. This has been a headache for me personally, and sounds like may be getting worse.

I may just have to follow the lead of my elders and begin replacing deer hunting with deep south fishing. SCN spends more time tarpon fishing in November than deer hunting now, and he used to be an avid deer hunter, too.

Smo

If the CWD rules remain, can't transport a field-dressed deer from the west side of TN River to the east side of TN River? Many area hunters live on either side of the river (KY Lake), and hunt both sides, such as hunting in both Stewart & Henry Counties. This has been a headache for me personally, and sounds like may be getting worse.
Yes the way I understand it..
I live in Humphreys but hunt Benton and other areas West of the river..
It is a pita…

DeerCamp

I may just have to follow the lead of my elders and begin replacing deer hunting with deep south fishing. SCN spends more time tarpon fishing in November than deer hunting now, and he used to be an avid deer hunter, too.
I'm convinced the transportation rules have as much to do with disengaging people as the disease itself.

BSK

It will be the same way as it has always been: shoot it in Wilson and check it in for Davidson.

Montgomery Co harvest dropped significantly when Stewart Co finally went to Unit L.

With the online check in crap, there is no way to enforce individual county limits to any degree.

More biological theory that isn't based in reality.
Finally, someone speaks TRUTH!

killingtime 41

Focus groups sure we can trust them to make an informed biological decision for change. Most focus groups are paid. Not sure if these were or not. But if so I wouldn't doubt a little whisper in each groups ear as the check was being signed.

MickThompson

It will be the same way as it has always been: shoot it in Wilson and check it in for Davidson.

Montgomery Co harvest dropped significantly when Stewart Co finally went to Unit L.

With the online check in crap, there is no way to enforce individual county limits to any degree.

With tag before you drag it's no less enforceable than when we had paper tags. All I have to do is get it to the truck regardless of where it's tagged and I can claim it was killed basically anywhere.

At least with tag before you drag now, they have to claim a county of harvest and check it in before it's moved. A temp (transport) tag is just that, and no guarantee that the harvest was ever registered.

scn

With tag before you drag it's no less enforceable than when we had paper tags. All I have to do is get it to the truck regardless of where it's tagged and I can claim it was killed basically anywhere.

At least with tag before you drag now, they have to claim a county of harvest and check it in before it's moved. A temp (transport) tag is just that, and no guarantee that the harvest was ever registered.
Not really.

A hunter can print a hundred plus temporary tags. There is nothing on there (unless it has changed) that denotes the county. That temporary tag covers them until the end of the calendar day. Check it in if you need an authorization number in whatever county you so choose. If you process yourself, same as it has always been, ignore it and go to work.

When the agency chose to change the regs from taking it to the nearest checking station to the current mishmash, the enforceability largely went out the window. It is pretty much the honor system in place. Fortunately, most have some honor. But, some do not just like it was 30 years ago before electronic check in.

scn

When the check in system at least partially worked, hunters got their kill tag when they purchased a license. That license had to be attached to the deer as it went to the closest physical check in station. When the hunter completed the check in, they received their next tag. There was no printing off of tags by the hunter. If they were checked with deer hunting weapons and no valid kill tag, it was a ticket.

When the Lifetime licenses started, that necessitated kill tags being mailed. There was expense involved. And, it any hunter lost their kill tag, they had to go through the Regional office to get another one. It wasn't a perfect system by any means, but, there were some controls.

The biological side of the agency got tired of having to deal with the replacing of kill tags and some other issues surrounding the system. All of a sudden, if you had a printer, you could print yourself as many kill tags as you wanted. At that point, all controls went out the window and TWRA went to an honor system.

tnanh

If people are going to cheat, they will cheat no matter what the check in system is. Cheaters are going to be cheaters. It is easy to get a search warrant for somebody's phone records to track their movements. If someone is suspected of doing something illegal, just see where they were 1-2 hours before checking the deer and then see where they were when they checked it and then, maybe do some old time police work and go talk to that person. The online check in actually makes it a lot easier to catch someone if law enforcement will just try.

Latest posts