Are there any up to date numbers for Deer harvests this year?

agelessssone

I killed two 2.5 year old bucks and two mature mama does.
I wanted to take a mature doe a few days before the season ended, was in my hangon stand by 2:30.
Nothing but squirrels and birds until 4:30, looked behind me and had 11 deer within 30 yds.
Too many eyes watching, got caught taking my rifle off the hanger, had to freeze for 10 minutes til the mama doe would quit staring at me.
Put a head shot on her at about 7 yds. Nice, no tracking.
She wound up field dressing 85 lbs at Flower's meat processing.
Last year they processed 3700 deer at $90 ea, this year, only 3200 @ $95 ea.
Curious as to why a 13% drop.

Ski

But if your seeing more than a dozen per buck shouldnt you have killed more does? You know since we are horribly killing more bucks than does?

Where exactly do you see me saying anything other than more bucks were killed than does? Or that it is horrible?

Last year I killed 4. Year before that I killed 9. I've also in that time accepted three bucks killed by other hunters who only wanted the horns. Meat is meat whether I kill the deer or not, and even I don't need or want it I know somebody who will. What point are you trying to make?

redblood

I killed two 2.5 year old bucks and two mature mama does.
I wanted to take a mature doe a few days before the season ended, was in my hangon stand by 2:30.
Nothing but squirrels and birds until 4:30, looked behind me and had 11 deer within 30 yds.
Too many eyes watching, got caught taking my rifle off the hanger, had to freeze for 10 minutes til the mama doe would quit staring at me.
Put a head shot on her at about 7 yds. Nice, no tracking.
She wound up field dressing 85 lbs at Flower's meat processing.
Last year they processed 3700 deer at $90 ea, this year, only 3200 @ $95 ea.
Curious as to why a 13% drop.
they will get a few more this weekend id say

backyardtndeer

I haven't looked at the reports, but my wife and I each killed pretty good mature bucks. Could have killed a couple other nice bucks that I thought were 3.5+. Had countless opportunities on does. Pretty good season for us.

Biggun4214

Jefferson County broke 1K for the first time and is in Unit C. It was well on its way to 1K several years ago and the southeast EHD outbreak hit hard here. I found 15-20 dead deer on the 50 acres we hunted that year.

Last edited:

killingtime 41

We have never topped our state record. That was years ago the best I can remember. With a supposedly bigger herd and kill them all in CWD counties with a lengthened season you'd figure we would have broken the record by now. Wasn't the record in like 2007. Or was 2007 the big EHD die off.

BSK

Far cry from where we used to be. My county Morgan had 976 checked in. In the early 2000's 1200 to 1400 was the norm. We ain't been there in a long time.
Serious question cecil30-30. How much of that decline do you believe is "real," and how much is hunters no longer reporting kills since we went away from check stations?

cecil30-30

Serious question cecil30-30. How much of that decline do you believe is "real," and how much is hunters no longer reporting kills since we went away from check stations?
I honestly couldn't answer that. But I'd bet it's safe to say that is a large culprit. I personally haven't really noticed a decline in deer numbers on the private property that I hunt. But using me as an example. I used to try to fill every tag I had. I was killing atleast 4 deer a year. One year ended up with 10. But in the past 5 Yeats I no longer have the drive or want to kill alotnof deer. For the past 4 seasons I have only killed 1 deer.

BSK

I honestly couldn't answer that. But I'd bet it's safe to say that is a large culprit. I personally haven't really noticed a decline in deer numbers on the private property that I hunt. But using me as an example. I used to try to fill every tag I had. I was killing atleast 4 deer a year. One year ended up with 10. But in the past 5 Yeats I no longer have the drive or want to kill alotnof deer. For the past 4 seasons I have only killed 1 deer.
I think there is a lot to say for that idea cecil30-30. Most of us used to kill a lot more deer in years past than we do now. That alone is going to account for a lot of the decline.