National Deer Association says states gotta kill more does

themanpcl

With 3 does per day allowed in most of the state, why is Tennessee not killing enough does? I wonder if it being sexier on social media to show dead bucks than dead does is having an effect on this.
It's so subjective. Some areas do have too many and in other areas people say they don't have enough. I say every year that I'm gonna stick a few during bow season but when I'm given the opportunity, I'm always waiting for "the buck" to step out so I don't...lol... I do try at the end of the season to take at least one and glad they have the "doe week" so I'm not waiting on the buck...lol

Acorn

I few years back the doe kill numbers went down because they changed the button buck regulations. People didn't want to take a chance killing a button that was under 3 inches length because it counted as a buck tag. Glad they changed it back to 3 inches to be counted as a antlered buck.

m_allison71

2-Step Enabled
It's so subjective. Some areas do have too many and in other areas people say they don't have enough. I say every year that I'm gonna stick a few during bow season but when I'm given the opportunity, I'm always waiting for "the buck" to step out so I don't...lol... I do try at the end of the season to take at least one and glad they have the "doe week" so I'm not waiting on the buck...lol
People always waiting for the antlers. Conservation is about what's good for the herd, not the hunter. Shoot the does.

mike243

Don't know about others but at one time Chuck Swann was over populated. Over 1000 deer/ year on about 20k acres. It wasn't unusual to kill a 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 year old doe that would dressthan 50 lbs.
EHD in 2007 dropped those numbers so low they wont ever come back up near that , coarse they changed it from a bonus buck. reckon I need to hunt it before I'm done.

Dean Parisian

Pamelot, TN Ghost Ranc MT San Jose del Cabo, MX
I have asked friends who shoot antlerless deer on my property to hold off until they actually can identify fawns with does and then kill the does.

We have had far too many big buck fawns killed by VERY knowledgeable, EXPERIENCED hunters. Not blaming them. Mistakes are made.

No need for any more mistakes.

knightrider

Don't know about others but at one time Chuck Swann was over populated. Over 1000 deer/ year on about 20k acres. It wasn't unusual to kill a 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 year old doe that would dress less than 50 lbs.
ehd took care of what the state wouldnt. No need to worry though theyve sure made a fine mess out of it now!!

Blockhouse

North Cumberland feels like one doe per 50 square miles. Drive west on 40 and there is a dead one every couple of miles at times it seems. All about habitat and I do think the gentlemen farmers and food plots help the herd get larger. I don't see a doe over population issue except in isolated pockets.

themanpcl

People always waiting for the antlers. Conservation is about what's good for the herd, not the hunter. Shoot the does.
Preach! My 4th or 5th year with this lease. Seen doe pop rise every year. Seems none of the rednecks around me shoot does...lol...even though I'm sure they have them at their corn piles every day...

Latest posts