National Deer Association says states gotta kill more does

TboneD

3 a day doe limits in Unit L with a bunch of small farms everywhere....does not take too long before the deer disappear.
Yes, but that mismanagement is small compared to all the state forest, natural areas and TVA or Corps lake parcels without quotas and under the same deer seasons and limit. Not only is there no limit to the number of hunters on these public parcels, there's a significant # of hunters from outside of Unit L, even nonresidents, that come for the opportunity to put up to three does a day in the freezer. And we can't blame them. The mismanagement lies at the feet of the TWRA and the TFWC.

Lost Lake

Yes, but that mismanagement is small compared to all the state forest, natural areas and TVA or Corps lake parcels without quotas and under the same deer seasons and limit. Not only is there no limit to the number of hunters on these public parcels, there's a significant # of hunters from outside of Unit L, even nonresidents, that come for the opportunity to put up to three does a day in the freezer. And we can't blame them. The mismanagement lies at the feet of the TWRA and the TFWC.

For quite a while, I've thought that an antlerless limit needs to be put on several WMA's. No three a days there. Maybe a couple of does apiece total for the year, (to be counted against all area WMA's) and close the deer hunting on those WMA's at about mid December for a couple of years.

Antler Daddy

no doubt...and it is easy to solve with the check-in and out solution that I previously covered in the public lands topic. Other areas do it.

I agree, TWRA or commission...really not sure who to blame for public land raping. Perhaps we are to blame for not showing up at commission meetings or sending emails to the decison makers.

TboneD

no doubt...and it is easy to solve with the check-in and out solution that I previously covered in the public lands topic. Other areas do it.

I agree, TWRA or commission...really not sure who to blame for public land raping. Perhaps we are to blame for not showing up at commission meetings or sending emails to the decison makers.
One might wonder why all the folks whose hunting land borders these public tracts in Unit L haven't complained more. My guess is that more than we think use the mismanagement as an excuse to use feeders to help keep deer on their property and from being over-hunted.

tbadon

Lack of opportunity and access. Never seen an over populated WMA.
Just started this thread so I may be redundant here. You clearly never hunted Natchez Trace from the 70's to the 90's. Juveniles would kill 120+ in a weekend. The problem was the herd was overpopulated, everyone shot every buck they saw, and it was rare to have a 3.5 year old killed, buck or doe. At some point TWRA went in and killed every deer they could find and stopped quota hunts in order to build an older herd with trophy bucks. Don't think it ever worked though. The park was formed due to poor soil. Poor soil does not produce trophy bucks.

TX300mag

Be careful what you wish for.

I think hunters are having less of an impact on the what we believe. Dispute the liberal do limits hunters are still killing more bucks than does in nearly EVERY unit L county.

When we don't kill enough deer (does in particular) farmers are killing them at night during the summer in numbers that will make your head spin. And I promise they're not practicing QDM.

I understand this isn't a problem in all Unit L counties, but it's going on in lots of high-population agriculture areas.

A relative of mine in Unit L had over 40 deer dead in one field last August after a night of deprivation permit shooting.

Terrier

I rarely kill a buck. Every buck I've ever killed tasted too gamey for me. A young(ish) doe tastes much better. I used to be quick to take a doe fawn because they taste that much better, but even though they're easy to drag, it makes for a lot of work for a little meat, and there's the risk of shooting a button. A 1 1/2 YO doe is perfect. I leave the bucks for the guys around me that live to hunt horns.

The big ol' mammy does have more experience raising fawns and are shown in studies to have a better success rate at getting them grown, so I usually let them walk and I encourage my neighbors to do the same. Horse-faced does are prized around here.

BSK

Whitetails were nearly extinct by 1900 because of over hunting.
Although it was not sport hunting but market hunting that wiped out the whitetails. No limits, no legal harvest means. Market hunters shot every deer they could find to sell to the East Coast meat markets. No laws existed about how deer could be killed. They were slaughtered wholesale, including jack-hunting (night hunting with focused lanterns - basically an early form of spotlighting). In reality, it was the invention of the refrigerated boxcar that wiped out the white-tailed deer in the late 1800s. The ability to transport hundreds of thousands of deer carcasses to the East Coast without them spoiling was the death knell of deer, as well as the ability to sell wild game meat commercially.

BSK

15 does in a group does not mean you are overpopulated or need to kill any
It can mean they are overpopulated. However, when and where these large groups occur determines whether it means something or not. I have successfully used antlerless group size as a determinant of habitat quality herd balance in many areas of the Southeast.

BSK

I get shooting down deer to keep depredations on farms growing crops to a minimum or killing off deer in an area because they are interfering with a farmer's livelihood.

I doubt you are going to see west Tennessee private lands have their antlerless seasons reduced.

Farmers would not allow it

Most liberal doe seasons aren't about overpopulated deer herds.

They are about keeping depredations down on farms and pacifying farmers.

South Carolina even says they issue extra doe tags to keep deer shot down to prevent problems to farmers.

I was very surprised North Carolina ended their unlimited antlerless permit program a few years ago. Farming is a big deal in eastern NC
I feel for farmers who experience major reductions in crop yield due to deer depredation. HOWEVER, farmers didn't pay for the restoration and management of deer. We hunters did and do. Allowing farmers to slaughter local deer herds for monetary reasons should only be allowed as an absolute last resort. I would prefer to see farmers required to prove they have tried everything else involving legal hunting before being issued depredation permits, and those must be tracked carefully.

...OR, instead of depredation permits, farmers should be compensated for crop losses by the very people who don't want the local deer slaughtered - hunters.

BSK

One might wonder why all the folks whose hunting land borders these public tracts in Unit L haven't complained more. My guess is that more than we think use the mismanagement as an excuse to use feeders to help keep deer on their property and from being over-hunted.
I border one of these and I certainly complained! Little good it did me...

Although, thankfully the neighboring land was finally taken off the "wipe out the deer herd" management strategy after a decade of decimation. It has taken 3-4 years to see the population finally bouncing back.

BSK

Doe harvests should always be site specific and tailored to the local conditions. In the 10 years prior to the big 2007 EHD die-off in Middle TN, we averaged a doe killed per 90 acres per year on my place. After the 2007 EHD die-off and after a neighboring public land decided to decimate the local deer population, our annual doe harvest density dropped to 1 doe killed per 530 acres per year. We are still at that rate as our doe population continues to expand to what we want to see.

bowhunterfanatic

I feel for farmers who experience major reductions in crop yield due to deer depredation. HOWEVER, farmers didn't pay for the restoration and management of deer. We hunters did and do. Allowing farmers to slaughter local deer herds for monetary reasons should only be allowed as an absolute last resort. I would prefer to see farmers required to prove they have tried everything else involving legal hunting before being issued depredation permits, and those must be tracked carefully.

...OR, instead of depredation permits, farmers should be compensated for crop losses by the very people who don't want the local deer slaughtered - hunters.
I'll give my former county warden along with whoever else helped him stand his ground for his actions regarding a depredation permit on the primary property I hunt. The number one reason I was allowed access to the property is because they wouldn't issue the farmer a depredation permit if the landowner would not allow hunting, which was the case on this property for a couple of years. They have a permit now, but don't kill but maybe 10-15 during the summer now because we've done a decent job knocking back the herd through hunting. They still lose some beans to the deer, but nothing like they did the first couple years we hunted the property.

BSK

I'll give my former county warden along with whoever else helped him stand his ground for his actions regarding a depredation permit on the primary property I hunt. The number one reason I was allowed access to the property is because they wouldn't issue the farmer a depredation permit if the landowner would not allow hunting, which was the case on this property for a couple of years. They have a permit now, but don't kill but maybe 10-15 during the summer now because we've done a decent job knocking back the herd through hunting. They still lose some beans to the deer, but nothing like they did the first couple years we hunted the property.
And this is EXACTLY the way it should be bowhunterfanatic. Farmers should have to prove they have tried every legal means (legal hunting) to reduce deer density before being issued depredation permits.

Doskil

I think the TWRA does a decent job on public land limiting doe kills where necessary except for the kids hunts

A dead doe is a dead doe

Kids should not get exemptions to doe killing on public land where adults don't

Lost Lake

Herein lies a potential answer to depredation permits.

Latest posts