Input on hunting Daniel Boone National Forest

DMD

I'm getting to the age it's time to fulfill some of my bucket list hunting items. One of them is to hunt public land in Kentucky again. I did once several years ago, but I'd like to find some place to go the next few years of my life. Daniel Boone makes sense to me, as my favorite hunting is mountain hunting and it would be the closest for me. I'm looking at the Beaver Creek area. I've been reading a little bit on the USDA site about it. But, really not much info. Anyone ever hunt that area OR...any area of Daniel Boone? I'm interested to know - can you drive through the area with a regular vehicle? Can you camp in the Beaver Creek area? What have been your overall experiences with hunting there? I'm not looking for directions to your favorite hunting place, just some big picture, overall information as do my research. I really appreciate any information. You are welcome to PM me or text me if it's easier. four2three five three nine -threeninezerofive. Thanks!

PickettSFHunter

I have hunted it. I camped at the state park nearby. Lots of public land and definitely more game than on the TN side, you can always count on KY for that over TN, but still low deer numbers. Bears are also really expanding there. You can drive to many different trailheads and walk from there. Be prepared to pack out and be prepared for rough country. You would do much better heading west but I know that's a longer drive.

DMD

I have hunted it. I camped at the state park nearby. Lots of public land and definitely more game than on the TN side, you can always count on KY for that over TN, but still low deer numbers. Bears are also really expanding there. You can drive to many different trailheads and walk from there. Be prepared to pack out and be prepared for rough country. You would do much better heading west but I know that's a longer drive.
Great Info - you mean west side of the state? Or west side of DB Forest? I've hunted around Paducah - great hunting out there. I also hunted on some Coal Creek land - I think in Ohio county. That was terrible hunting. This was before a lot of info on the internet. I called game wardens and state wildlife officials trying to find the best places to hunt on public land in Ohio. They recommended that area - it was pitiful. LOL. I don't mind packing out and walking. Not at all. That's normally what I do anyway.

PickettSFHunter

Great Info - you mean west side of the state? Or west side of DB Forest? I've hunted around Paducah - great hunting out there. I also hunted on some Coal Creek land - I think in Ohio county. That was terrible hunting. This was before a lot of info on the internet. I called game wardens and state wildlife officials trying to find the best places to hunt on public land in Ohio. They recommended that area - it was pitiful. LOL. I don't mind packing out and walking. Not at all. That's normally what I do anyway.
West side of the state is much much better, just like TN.

DMD

West side of the state is much much better, just like TN.
Yep. It sure is. But, I just like hunting in the mountains. I've hunted all kinds of terrain, including the midwest. Nothing to me like sitting in a huge tract of hardwoods and seeing a buck moving through the leaves. Just is the best to me.

Antler Daddy

In early 2000's, I used to hunt the Cane Creek WMA. There are some steep bluffs in there. At that time, the black bears were not there. I cringe thinking of hunting anywhere without a phone now, but I used to do it all the time and nobody knew where I was.

I eventually started hunting further into the NF near Pulaski county line before the river. Some big bucks have been killed in the area. There was a big 200+" nontypical taken in area that did hang in a convenience store. Of course, lots of booners have come out of Pulaski county.

This was first time in my life where I found plenty of rubs the size of my legs around the clear cuts. I would drive from NC, sleep in back of Cherokee, and then hunt. Never did kill anything but couple of 2.5 year olds, but they were there.

CrossVolle

Agreed. I feel the same. I like big wide open timber in hill country. I suppose because it requires lots of walking and scouting. I like the adventure.
There's is hardly any rhyme or reason to the movement patterns. It makes it so rewarding when you finally tighten that noose.

Ski

There's is hardly any rhyme or reason to the movement patterns. It makes it so rewarding when you finally tighten that noose.

There is rhyme and reason but it's not near as obvious or in your face as it is in ag country. Sign and movement in ag country is confined to the wooded areas. In the big woods it's so spread out that it often seems like it doesn't exist at all. But it does, just way more spread out. As such it also broadens the time line along with it. A buck isn't getting out of bed and walking 50yds to the field edge scrape. He's getting out of bed here tonight and bedding 6 miles away in the morning. I suspect that limits the interest of most hunters to pursue him.

DMD

There is rhyme and reason but it's not near as obvious or in your face as it is in ag country. Sign and movement in ag country is confined to the wooded areas. In the big woods it's so spread out that it often seems like it doesn't exist at all. But it does, just way more spread out. As such it also broadens the time line along with it. A buck isn't getting out of bed and walking 50yds to the field edge scrape. He's getting out of bed here tonight and bedding 6 miles away in the morning. I suspect that limits the interest of most hunters to pursue him.
You are exactly right...there is definitely rhyme and reason. In big tracts of mountain timber, I'm more interested in terrain features than I am anything else when it comes to deer hunting. Couple several good terrain features with food sources and that's what I'm looking for. But food sources and buck sign are really secondary to me during the peak of rut. Early pre-peak rut is completely different.

CrossVolle

But, you see, I SUCK at hunting. So i am always having to make a micro adjustment from my initial assumption to get "in the game". 🤣 Maybe 2

Ski

But, you see, I SUCK at hunting. So i am always having to make a micro adjustment from my initial assumption to get "in the game". 🤣 Maybe 2

So do I. But that's why it's fun. I love the challenge and the sense of "earning it". It's humbling and I fail 10x for every success, but man is that success ever sweet!