Need input on deer heard-management

deer hunter 21

Am I the only one that never seems to have returning bucks from one year to the next? I'll see several 4 pointers and 6 pointers and a few spikes and I think next year he'll be a good one but the next season same old story, now I do usually get a few pics of a what I consider a shooter except this year is the first year since running cameras I've not had a shooter. Is it just my farm doesn't hold deer and is just a pass through farm or what do yall think the problem is?

Urban_Hunter

I was in your boat the last few years… guy near me logged about 100 acres and another guy down the road logged well over 100 and I think the new growth thickets just pulled all the deer. but this year with the acorn crop I am covered up, more bucks than I've ever had. In my opinion, something is either pulling them away or you're pushing them out with pressure.

deer hunter 21

Not much pressure from me I only hunt this farm during muzzloader and rifle, my trail cams are cellular but I think what has had an impact on the heard is all the amish that has moved in a few miles down the road, they don't care whether it's deer season or not if you know what I mean and no one is gonna do anything about it either.

deer hunter 21

I'd be looking into ways to improve the habitat.
The cleared portion of the farm I have leased to row crop, I have food plots as well and I have a grown up thicket for bedding that is about 25 acres that is off limits all year plus they have plenty of water from the creek that goes through the middle of 300 acres that holds water all year.

yellalinehunter

Not much pressure from me I only hunt this farm during muzzloader and rifle, my trail cams are cellular but I think what has had an impact on the heard is all the amish that has moved in a few miles down the road, they don't care whether it's deer season or not if you know what I mean and no one is gonna do anything about it either.
I've heard horror stories in regards to the Amish and hunting/ fishing

megalomaniac

so...

300 acres total? How much in row crop/ open vs forested/ covered land? How many resident does approx? Fawn recruitment rate? Any browse lines? Any large rubs on the property? Relative deer density of the county you are in (unit a/b/l/cwd?).

Unfortunately, there are so many factors that determine deer population and deer age structure its impossible to say with the limited info what is the problem. But I can assure you, it is always possible to make it better.

Basically look at the 3 mile radius that surrounds your place and figure out what is missing. If mostly ag all around you, provide more cover. If mostly timber all around you, provide more early sessional growth and small openings for food sources, etc.

deerhunter10

No we lose a lot of deer every year also. With more acres then you're dealing with. We do our best to fill in the gaps but deer will always be gone from one year to the next. I passed a mid to upper 40s deer last year to see what he would do and he has vanished. Just part of it, it's frustrating for sure but that's the game we play.

Ski

The one common theme of the deer woods is that momma does don't want older bucks around except for when it's time to mate. And older bucks don't want the attitude and chaos that comes from being around women and children. Your young bucks are dispersing to a quieter, calmer place.

It sounds like you have a great place for does to raise fawns. Plenty food and security cover. I'd guess there's a property near yours that is largely unmanaged or outright neglected, with limited or no human presence, no ag. Doesn't have to be huge. Could be just a few acres or could be big. The seclusion is what the older bucks find attractive. That's where your bucks move to when they grow up. Just a guess.

deer hunter 21

The one common theme of the deer woods is that momma does don't want older bucks around except for when it's time to mate. And older bucks don't want the attitude and chaos that comes from being around women and children. Your young bucks are dispersing to a quieter, calmer place.

It sounds like you have a great place for does to raise fawns. Plenty food and security cover. I'd guess there's a property near yours that is largely unmanaged or outright neglected, with limited or no human presence, no ag. Doesn't have to be huge. Could be just a few acres or could be big. The seclusion is what the older bucks find attractive. That's where your bucks move to when they grow up. Just a guess.
your guess is so accurate it isn't funny, there is a neighboring property that no one keeps up or any activity in many many years and i know thats where my shooter is if there is one but usually i will have pics of them in the summer then they leave and come back during the rut. I'm really hoping the rut will bring something in and if it don't oh well life goes on.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
I don't sweat it too much if I don't have a big deer on camera. I kill a really good one every few years that I've never had on camera. There's always the possibility.

Ski

your guess is so accurate it isn't funny, there is a neighboring property that no one keeps up or any activity in many many years and i know thats where my shooter is if there is one but usually i will have pics of them in the summer then they leave and come back during the rut. I'm really hoping the rut will bring something in and if it don't oh well life goes on.

Might try hunting your thicket this year during rut. That's where your does live so that's where the bucks will be searching.

Maybe after season ends go in and scout the thicket to see if some bucks had left scrapes and rubs. Maybe create a couple small random openings and a network of meandering trails. They'll use them so much that they'll likely keep them groomed/maintained. The bucks are around and they'll be after your does for sure.

Latest posts