Deer Management Assistance Programs

Bushape

Curious if any of you have ever been to a seminar such as this? I live across the line in N Alabama and will be attending one next week. Wondering if it's a big waste of time.

Bushape

DMAP as a state run program or private organization?
It's being promoted as part of the Alabama Dept of Conservation and Natural Resources.

Attachments

• IMG_0600.png
    IMG_0600.png
    210.7 KB · Views: 5

CBU93

DMAP in MS was a program years ago where private landowners or clubs that met certain requirements of the program were assigned a state biologist and property specific management programs…took off in late 70's and 80's in the big Delta clubs. Provided for more scientific doe harvest programs per property and data collection. As modern doe harvest management took hold, DMAP became less emphasized. My basic knowledge of DMAP in MS.

Looks to be a very similar program. I personally thought it was more of a biological playground for the MS State deer management programs.

Bushape

I would go out of curiosity but looks to be a potentially beneficial program for those less experienced or trying to set club or land owner goals.
Really hoping they want to throw a lot of $$$ at me for management of my land. Fingers crossed.

megalomaniac

In MS, you are allowed 3 bucks and 2 or 3 does depending on area if the state as an individual. By enrolling on the DMAP program, the property is issued a certain number of tags for does to reach the biologists harvest objective. One single individual can kill all those does.

Biological information such as jawbone, weight, lactation, and antler characteristics are collected and analyzed by the biologists. It's a good summary, especially when trended over time.

The problem in MS is... the recommendations for doe harvest do not change from year to year. It's always recommended to kill 1 doe for every 40 acres under management. Deer weights trending up? Great, kill more does. Deer weights trending down, uh oh... need to kill more does. Age structure of does increasing, uh oh, need to kill more does. All the does that year are 1.5 and 2.5yos, you are doing great, kill more does. Excellent lactation rates? Better kill more does. None of the does lactating? Well you just need to kill more does. It's exceedingly rare for the regional biologist to actually set foot on the actual DMAP property and examine for browse lines, food availability, cover, and even population density.

Bushape

In MS, you are allowed 3 bucks and 2 or 3 does depending on area if the state as an individual. By enrolling on the DMAP program, the property is issued a certain number of tags for does to reach the biologists harvest objective. One single individual can kill all those does.

Biological information such as jawbone, weight, lactation, and antler characteristics are collected and analyzed by the biologists. It's a good summary, especially when trended over time.

The problem in MS is... the recommendations for doe harvest do not change from year to year. It's always recommended to kill 1 doe for every 40 acres under management. Deer weights trending up? Great, kill more does. Deer weights trending down, uh oh... need to kill more does. Age structure of does increasing, uh oh, need to kill more does. All the does that year are 1.5 and 2.5yos, you are doing great, kill more does. Excellent lactation rates? Better kill more does. None of the does lactating? Well you just need to kill more does. It's exceedingly rare for the regional biologist to actually set foot on the actual DMAP property and examine for browse lines, food availability, cover, and even population density.
Sounds rather lazy of them. Safe to assume that their efforts in Mississippi are geared more towards large tracts of land? It may be that way in Alabama as well as other states. Not sure what the expectation is for this seminar to be conducted in Lauderdale county. Not a tremendous amount of large land holdings.

th88

It's always recommended to kill 1 doe for every 40 acres under management.
That does change by physiographic region. The most productive grounds may be 1 doe per 20 acres. The worst regions in terms of productivity will lean more towards 1 per 100+ acres.

But yes, your assessment of shoot more does is pretty much spot on. lol. Which normally isn't an issue except in areas of low productivity like the region you live in.

megalomaniac

Sounds rather lazy of them. Safe to assume that their efforts in Mississippi are geared more towards large tracts of land? It may be that way in Alabama as well as other states. Not sure what the expectation is for this seminar to be conducted in Lauderdale county. Not a tremendous amount of large land holdings.
min 1000 contiguous acres

I don't think its much of being lazy. There are a LOT of clubs/ tracts under DMAP in MS, no way they can all be visited annually. What I find frustrating, is that the summary recommendations I've reviewed from several DMAP properties is always the same from year to year. Personally, I find it quite alarming when age structure of does is plummeting. Almost as alarming as poor recruitment rates.... and when you combine the two and continue to recommend harvesting 1 doe per 40 acres... well that just is gross mismanagement.

Latest posts