Need sincere advice on CWD management.

fairchaser

Talk about math…according to past TN deer disussions, you have to kill 33% of a deer herd to keep it stable. So if positivity rate overall is higher than that, your herd will shrink eventually due to not being able to populate fast enough.

Once CWD gets there like it is in certain areas, you WILL see negative impacts to your over all numbers and hunting experience. We saw an unscientific decline for several years before announcement of CWD. Those were just the years it was brewing. Statewide, you may not see a dramatic change in numbers, but you will see localized impacts. In a southern a deer herd (any number of different variables from herd density, buck to doe ratio, age structure, habitat, different sub species of whitetail) there will a lot to be learned over time. I think Headhunter mentioned extinction…we are barely a blink in the CWD timeline right now so extinction speak is a bit premature. Time will tell.
Spot on!

Headhunter

Talk about math…according to past TN deer disussions, you have to kill 33% of a deer herd to keep it stable. So if positivity rate overall is higher than that, your herd will shrink eventually due to not being able to populate fast enough.

Once CWD gets there like it is in certain areas, you WILL see negative impacts to your over all numbers and hunting experience. We saw an unscientific decline for several years before announcement of CWD. Those were just the years it was brewing. Statewide, you may not see a dramatic change in numbers, but you will see localized impacts. In a southern a deer herd (any number of different variables from herd density, buck to doe ratio, age structure, habitat, different sub species of whitetail) there will a lot to be learned over time. I think Headhunter mentioned extinction…we are barely a blink in the CWD timeline right now so extinction speak is a bit premature. Time will tell.
I did not mention extinction, I was replying to someone who did. As far as extinction goes, CWD was first discovered in 1967, from all I can find, the area it was discovered in is doing just fine.

Headhunter

Once extinction happens, there's not really any coming back from it. Little late to be concerned at that point.
What does this reply have to do with what I said? Someone mentioned extinction and I said it hasn't happened. If extinction did happen, I don't think CWD would be the cause.

Latest posts