TWRA seeks input on Changes to seasons

beefydeer

You disqualified your only complain, no biological reason to take opportunities away from people who only get to hunt 1 day a week anyways when most aren't killing a limit
Shorter season would put less pressure and stress on the deer. Archery starts the end of September. Gun season could end the middle of December. That is a lot of opportunities to hunt even if only 1 day per week.

Buzzard Breath

The only thing I'd like about the split is that it would give me 2 weeks of small game hunting in December. Pre-pandemic days, I could squirrel hunt in December on the WMA's and be able to avoid deer hunters pretty easily. Not so much anymore. I seem to run into deer hunters a lot more often recently. Most are cordial, but it's not uncommon for some to be pissed. I keep waiting for someone to post about the doucebag squirrel hunter on Yanahli. :D

TheLBLman

The only thing I'd like about the split is that it would give me 2 weeks of small game hunting in December.
Not that I really want to end deer season in mid-December, but I'd rather just see deer season end then, than for there to be a "split" in deer season. Just end deer season earlier, then you pick up more days for small-game hunting without conflicts with deer hunters.

I can remember a time in Tennessee when rabbit hunting over the Christmas holidays was a much larger family event than deer hunting ever became.

Buzzard Breath

I can remember a time in Tennessee when rabbit hunting over the Christmas holidays was a much larger family event than deer hunting ever became.
That was my Thanksgiving. Then, a generation passes and the family farm gets split. Another generation, another split. Before long, all we have is public land and deer hunting has grown in popularity. A tradition dies.

BigAl

I think its funny how they are talking about a split season and shortening the gun season, but in CWD area they have done the exact opposite. The season has been extended to the end of January. The split season is still my largest complaint I have in relation to the survey and video presentation.

My question: Is this proposed or is this a done deal?

Ski

Time will tell but as of now I believe it's a done deal.

If TWRA truly wanted hunter input then they'd have sent a request to their entire mailing list, and we'd have had to log in to our accounts to take the survey. None of that happened. My opinion is no more valid on this subject than a non license holding hippie from California. They can take the survey just as easy as I could, completely anonymous. Therefore it seems to be smoke & mirrors, a decoy to make us think we have a voice on the matter. As I said earlier, it's insulting.

AlabamaSwamper

Look, a once well respected agency 10-15 yards ago even by other states has went the wrong way. They are not anymore.

It started with the 18" smallmouth regulations, then changing buck limits. The last few years their ridiculous CWD rules and now this.

You can bet they are going to do what they want to do. What you think it say means nothing. Do not be blind to that fact.

scn

I think its funny how they are talking about a split season and shortening the gun season, but in CWD area they have done the exact opposite. The season has been extended to the end of January. The split season is still my largest complaint I have in relation to the survey and video presentation.

I think they will say proposed, but, I highly suspect it is a done deal. Their handpicked focus groups have already made the decisions.

Jcalder

Not that I really want to end deer season in mid-December, but I'd rather just see deer season end then, than for there to be a "split" in deer season. Just end deer season earlier, then you pick up more days for small-game hunting without conflicts with deer hunters.

If you wanna rabbit hunt during Christmas, by all means do it, but I'd rather be deer hunting. Just like your other post about small game hunting, or duck hunting. If YOU wanna do that, do it, but I'd rather deer hunt. But MY deer hunting isn't stopping YOUR small game hunts.

Jcalder

That was my Thanksgiving. Then, a generation passes and the family farm gets split. Another generation, another split. Before long, all we have is public land and deer hunting has grown in popularity. A tradition dies.
Farm splits have a lot to do with it but there's also been a huge push getting farms cleaned up. You just don't see the grown up farms like years ago

TheLBLman

Farm splits have a lot to do with it but there's also been a huge push getting farms cleaned up. You just don't see the grown up farms like years ago
While that is true, there is no shortage of rabbits and places to rabbit hunt.
Similar with squirrels, plenty of places to hunt them, and plenty of squirrels.

Speaking of squirrels, this is one game species that permission to hunt is often just for the asking & "free", but with one caveat: "Long as you don't do it while we're deer hunting, you're welcome to squirrel hunt here all you want."

I personally deer hunt more than I squirrel or rabbit hunt, but maybe many of us, including myself, have missed a bigger picture by having so much our focus on mainly deer hunting.

timberjack86

While that is true, there is no shortage of rabbits and places to rabbit hunt.
Similar with squirrels, plenty of places to hunt them, and plenty of squirrels.

Speaking of squirrels, this is one game species that permission to hunt is often just for the asking & "free", but with one caveat: "Long as you don't do it while we're deer hunting, you're welcome to squirrel hunt here all you want."

I personally deer hunt more than I squirrel or rabbit hunt, but maybe many of us, including myself, have missed a bigger picture by having so much our focus on mainly deer hunting.
Where is there no shortage of rabbits? I don't see many rabbits anymore in the places we hunt.

killingtime 41

Greene county had more birds killed than anywhere in the state except for Maury county this year. Lumping the 2nd most populated county in the state into the same 'management unit' as some of the least populated counties in the state doesn't seem like good 'biology' to me.

Now could Greene county get better than it is under better management? Sure. But I fear this micromanagement will harm turkeys in sparsely populated areas more than it will help the population in the highest population density counties.
Agreed

Latest posts