Do You Use a "Modern Sporting Rifle" for Deer?

Do you deer hunt with an AR-style rifle?

• Total voters

deerhunter10

No have one will never deer hunt with it. Honestly for me it's not practical to deer hunt with them, but to each there own. Take it over my brownings or tikkas? Never, doesn't even make sense.

rifle02

I own several AR style rifles. A few years ago I hunted with one that is chambered in 6.5 Grendel. That is the only year I hunted with it but it sure killed a deer with no problem. Thinking about using it next year again. All billet parts and solid Magpul buttstock, it's quite heavy.

Bgoodman30

I set one up for my son due to light recoil and adjustable stock. He was more used to the traditional platform so went back to that. I may carry it for some coyote hunting soon.

Remi

I have taken my ar15 in 5.56 several times but have never had an opportunity on a deer. I don't carry one much because I hate the way they carry.

moondawg

No, there is no reason why anyone needs an assault rifle or that many bullets to kill a deer. 😜😁😄

Having said that, I don't own one, nor do I have a problem with it. I'd like a 308 to hunt zombies with.

TboneD

No. Never have and I don't see why I'd want to. I prefer a deer rifle for better ease of carry and a better trigger. Whitetails usually only give you one high percentage shot, anyhow.

backyardtndeer

No, there is no reason why anyone needs an assault rifle or that many bullets to kill a deer. 😜😁😄
Just a semi auto, and nothing says you have to carry more than one bullet in a mag if you don't want to. I usually have about 7 in the mag, but then I do also kill coyotes at every opportunity I get.

Swampster

When I got my Rec10, Barrett described it as a "battle rifle". I notice that language is no longer on their web site. 16" barrel, .308, durable, precision fit - it does multiple things for me and I don't feel the need to baby it. Deer at 75 yards, coyotes at 200, or steel targets at 400 it certainly seems more accurate than my personal abilities.

TheLBLman

When I got my Rec10, Barrett described it as a "battle rifle". I notice that language is no longer on their web site. 16" barrel, .308, durable, precision fit - it does multiple things for me and I don't feel the need to baby it. Deer at 75 yards, coyotes at 200, or steel targets at 400 it certainly seems more accurate than my personal abilities.
My thinking is a growing number of younger hunters may be attracted to a single multi-purpose rifle. The AR platform can be good both for home protection and deer hunting, i.e. multi-purpose.

For similar reasons, albeit for ALL big-game hunting, not personal defense, my very first big-game rifle was a .300 Weatherby which is a capable gun for anything in North America. My thinking was to have one big-game rifle capable of whatever I might want a rifle. Same thinking at the time for one shotgun. I hunted everything from quail to waterfowl to deer with my Browning Sweet 16. The shotgun deer hunting was because rifles were illegal for deer hunting at that time where I deer hunted.

backyardtndeer

I prefer a deer rifle for better ease of carry and a better trigger.
There are really nice triggers available for ar's. One of the great things about them is the versatility and ability to customize them to fit what you want to do with them.

As to the accuracy compared to a bolt gun, I am not Mup or Mr Big, I don't shoot 1000 yard targets, but I bet an AR with the right barrel and trigger would surprise some of you.
Whitetails usually only give you one high percentage shot, anyhow.
Agreed. With the exception of this year hitting a twig, I haven't needed but one shot on any of the deer I have shot with my ar10 in 6.5cm.

For me at my age and with the crap I have been through in my life, it's nice to take a rifle I built from the ground up(completely built the lower and the upper myself) with the handloads that I worked up and kill deer on the land that I own just feels good to me. Some may not get that.

I built a 6arc for my son, but he hasn't shot it yet and I am still trying to get the loads for it just right.

Latest posts