Catman

Tn_Va_Hunter

I just can't believe people are mad that he's killing deer legally, feeding people and being successful. He truly loves hunting and filming his hunts. Nothing more. Nothing less. I say leave him be. You hunt how you want to and he will continue to hunt how he wants to. It doesn't bother me at all. He's accomplished a lot in a few years and mostly self taught. Especially the filming aspect of it.

peytoncreekhunter

With the deer population like it is (plentiful) , TWRA just about begging people to thin the herd (3 a does a day in unit L, extra bucks in CWD zones) seems to me he's taking up the slack of other hunters that WON'T shoot a doe all season or a buck that's not a "SHOOTER".

And it'd be different if he's killing deer (just to get a kill and film it for YouTube), then leaving them to rot in the woods, but he's NOT doing that, someone is benefiting from his hunting and getting several meals.

So in my view, Catman.... shoot all the legal deer that you want to, donate them and have fun doing so.

Just a side note....Jealousy and Envy are 2 evil things.

MidTennFisher

I think a lot of yall are missing the point of why people have an issue with killing for content. Nobody is questioning the legality of what he does. It's whether or not it is having a severely negative impact for the future of hunting access that causes people not to like what he's doing. I've said once already, he's a friend of mine and I think he's a great guy and a great friend. However, I still am not a fan of killing for content.

Social media addiction is very real. There have been numerous studies on the effects of the dopamine rush people get from a popular social media post. Add in some revenue and the addiction to posting everything you've killed on social media grows tenfold. It also incentivizes you to hunt more and kill more to keep that content rolling. More content = more dopamine and more money. We all have our opinions on this but mine is that killing game animals solely for dopamine hits and profit is not a good thing.

This is leading to more crowding on public land, more leasing of land, higher prices for said leasing, and an overall bad look for hunters from the non-hunting public as they start to see us as self-absorbed A-holes who care about nothing other than killing animals to glorify themselves on Instagram. I don't think any of that is a good thing and I think all of it is going to lead to less access to quality hunting for future generations unless you're lucky enough to inherit family land or you're able to write big checks.

Before we know it, deer and turkey hunting in the Southeast will become duck hunting in Arkansas. You think you're knocking on doors and getting permission to kill ducks there because you're tired of literal fistfights breaking out at the Bayou Meto? HA! You're wasting your time and your gas unless you have that checkbook out and a pen with fresh ink in it. Outfitters and Insta hunters have whored out every duck and goose that flies over a piece of privately owned property in that state.

Spurhunter

Just a side note....Jealousy and Envy are 2 evil things.
I'm not anti-Catman at all, but why is it every time someone disagrees with someone else they are jealous and envious? If I had to hunt public land and/or self film my hunts I would quit hunting altogether. It's just not enjoyable to me. I'm anything but jealous for those guys. Just like the sekejaun stuff. Just because I disagree with shooting pet deer in Meemaw's flower bed from the kids' playhouse and posting it online like I'm a world class hunter doesn't make me jealous. There are other motivations for disagreeing with someone.

Spurhunter

I think a lot of yall are missing the point of why people have an issue with killing for content. Nobody is questioning the legality of what he does. It's whether or not it is having a severely negative impact for the future of hunting access that causes people not to like what he's doing. I've said once already, he's a friend of mine and I think he's a great guy and a great friend. However, I still am not a fan of killing for content.

Social media addiction is very real. There have been numerous studies on the effects of the dopamine rush people get from a popular social media post. Add in some revenue and the addiction to posting everything you've killed on social media grows tenfold. It also incentivizes you to hunt more and kill more to keep that content rolling. More content = more dopamine and more money. We all have our opinions on this but mine is that killing game animals solely for dopamine hits and profit is not a good thing.

This is leading to more crowding on public land, more leasing of land, higher prices for said leasing, and an overall bad look for hunters from the non-hunting public as they start to see us as self-absorbed A-holes who care about nothing other than killing animals to glorify themselves on Instagram. I don't think any of that is a good thing and I think all of it is going to lead to less access to quality hunting for future generations unless you're lucky enough to inherit family land or you're able to write big checks.

Before we know it, deer and turkey hunting in the Southeast will become duck hunting in Arkansas. You think you're knocking on doors and getting permission to kill ducks there because you're tired of literal fistfights breaking out at the Bayou Meto? HA! You're wasting your time and your gas unless you have that checkbook out and a pen with fresh ink in it. Outfitters and Insta hunters have whored out every duck and goose that flies over a piece of privately owned property in that state.
Excellent post. You are one of the few that can take your feelings out of the debate and look at it strictly from a logical perspective.

th88

I'm not anti-Catman at all, but why is it every time someone disagrees with someone else they are jealous and envious?
Welcome to 2023! Folks have lost the ability to debate and reason with anyone holding an opinion opposite of their own. They'd much rather take the easy way out and go the route you've mentioned.

Jcalder

I'm not anti-Catman at all, but why is it every time someone disagrees with someone else they are jealous and envious? If I had to hunt public land and/or self film my hunts I would quit hunting altogether. It's just not enjoyable to me. I'm anything but jealous for those guys. Just like the sekejaun stuff. Just because I disagree with shooting pet deer in Meemaw's flower bed from the kids' playhouse and posting it online like I'm a world class hunter doesn't make me jealous. There are other motivations for disagreeing with someone.
When you continuously beat the dead horse with 10 pages of the same whining it becomes obvious. Even the the freedom for this thread. Just like the fanboy horsecrap.

Spurhunter

When you continuously beat the dead horse with 10 pages of the same whining it becomes obvious.
Still doesn't mean jealousy is the motivation. There are guys with private farms and enough money to hire professional cameraman that don't agree with the commercialization of hunting. I assure you they aren't jealous of a guy that hunts hard to access public land and films his own hunts.

Jcalder

Still doesn't mean jealousy is the motivation. There are guys with private farms and enough money to hire professional cameraman that don't agree with the commercialization of hunting. I assure you they aren't jealous of a guy that hunts hard to access public land and films his own hunts.
They also aren't the ones griping page after page

MidTennFisher

Nailed it. Just because you don't like what someone is doing doesn't make you jealous, envious, or a "hater". It could mean you just don't like what they're doing. I don't like what Joe Biden does, either, but I'm certainly not "jealous" of him.

I'm not jealous of Seek1 and wouldn't be jealous even if he were shooting real deer instead of half tame deer. I still just don't agree with letting money and social media fame be the motivation for killing game animals.

And as for the whole donating meat thing - people who make donations out of the goodness of their hearts don't post on social media about it. People who want praises and more followers post about it.

So I call BS on this whole, "doing a great thing by feeding families" that a lot of these social media hunters boast about. Cut the crap - they're killing deer to make money. Donating to HFTH is a convenience that allows them to do so.

Last edited:

MidTennFisher

Does anyone know of a site that tracks WMA usage and kill numbers? I'd like to see what the data says about the state of public land hunting
I think usage would be impossible to track unless there was some sort of check in process and people actually used it properly.

As far as kill data, the TWRA hunters toolbox has that. I don't know how far back the data goes.

Spurhunter

And as for the whole donating meat thing - people who make donations out of the goodness of their hearts don't post on social media about it. People who want praises and more followers post about it.
Reminds me of something I saw online that said, "You can volunteer at a soup kitchen to feed the poor, but when you post it on social media you are feeding your ego."

Snake

With this whole thread it reminds me of how grown men can act childish . Catman isn't here to defend himself but we have hunters on this site that kill much more than him and there is not one mention of that ! Why is this .... because they will defend themselves and Catman no longer here to do that . Hunt as you will but legally.

Latest posts