22 ammo

cecil30-30

Ordered a cz 457 today with intentions on making it a dedicated squirrel head popper. I haven't squirrel hunted in 15+ years. Got a 4 yr old ate up with hunting. When we get some cooler mornings in October we are gonna give it a go. So which brands of amm should I try? Looking for accuracy to make those head shots. Sonim willing to get several different brands to try.

Billboy

My 455 Varmint shoots CCI MiniMag HP as well as anything else. Typically, a ragged hole at 50yds off the bench. Head shots are no problem. Get a couple of different brands and give them a try. Whatever doesn't shoot great can be used for plinking.

Lilbuckgetter

Marlin 60 all new springs, lightened trigger, HV recoil spring cycles federal target match 40gr lead nose without a hiccup(1000+rds) Ruger 10/22 likes Winchester the best, had dud coon hunting, bullet lodged in barrel. Liked to never got it out in field🤦🏼‍♂️

DaveTN

CCI mini mags are all I have found that are both available and will cycle in all my semiauto's. I find the HP's to be more accurate than solid. That doesn't make sense, but that's just how it is for me.

mike243

Most of the time it takes my rifles 15-30 round before I trust the pattern, I burned a lot of ammo up testing back 20 years ago, dont trust a 3 shot group when changing brands. lube and different powder has affects that some rifles like and others don't.

MUP

^^^ What Mike said. I've shot as many as 25-30 rounds thru a cleaned barrel before to finally get my rifle to settle in and shoot tight groups. That was actually during a match even! Thought I had screwed up big time by cleaning the night before! Live (shoot) and learn!

rickyk280

I been shooting a 452 CZ for years mine shoots anything good but it loves the Eley 38 grain hollow point that's what I hunt with. Not that you need a hollow point or high velocity to kill squirrels, I have killed a many with CCI standard velocity all head shots. I have a friend that bought a new 457 and his rifle really likes the Eley also. I bought a case of the Eley at $5.08 a 50 from Foundry Outdoors, that's not much higher than CCI HP high velocity at Midsouth at 9.99 a 100.

Latest posts