What ammo?

CliffordN

A friend just sold me a Savage 110 in 308... He was shooting 150 grain cartridges in it. I have had an 06 before, and it loved 165s... I really like Remington Core Lokt but I'm not really wild about the new tipped ones.
So, anyone got any suggestions? I will probably never shoot anything but whitetails, and the occasional hog with this one. And I doubt I ever shoot more than 150 yards...

ScLowCountry

Just grab a box of bullets and sight it in. Almost any factory SP loads will shoot good enough to kill deer out to 150. Winchester PowerPoint, corr lokt, hornady American whitetail, or federal blue box

All will get the job done. One may shoot a better group but I bet any will be good enough out to 150. Don't over think it.. A 150.gr SP in the vitals is a dead deer. Everytime

Deerhunter

Before I started reloading I always used the 150gr Hornady American whitetails. Shot great and performed great on deer. I'm still using the 150gr Interlocks in my reloads that Hornady uses in their American Whitetail. Tried 165s Interlocks but my Savage 10 just doesn't like them.

Remi

The old Federal Power Shock, used to be in a blue box?, is great stuff. I'd go with 150's.

TnTurk

I'd start with the Hornady 150 grain American whitetail in either the interlock or sst style of bullet. I've heard of great results from the sst in .30 caliber ammo.

JCDEERMAN

150gr core lokt for me. Touches bullet holes at 100 yards. Like others have said, placement is more important than grain size for whitetails.

JJ3

I like the Federal Fusion 140 g in 7 mm08. Practically the same cartridge/bullet in 308 150 g. Bullet holds together well for penetration with good mushroom for impact. Shoots tight in my gun

tnanh

The regular core lokts are still available. Just watch at your local Walmart and they will have them. I do not like a tipped bullet of any kind in any caliber but that is just me. I have read some bad reviews on them and some good ones. My understanding is the Hornady American Whitetail interlock is a cup and core bullet and is similar to the Core lokts. I shoot 150 grain Core Locks in my 308 and 100 grain in my 243. I really like the core lokt bullet and have not ever lost a deer while shooting them.

Latest posts