2022 rut report

backyardtndeer

What are you seeing where you are.

About 30 minute north of Jackson, been watching a 2.5 year old 8 guarding a couple does all morning, since before light. He still has them hemmed up now. Buck had been extremely vocal. Grunting low tending grunts and a few growls or maybe roars while a bit of chasing took place. Watched two 1.5 year olds spar at the other end of my field. They hit scrapes after they quit pushing each other around.

Hduke86

In my area of Hamilton County seems to on time. Bucks checking scrapes and following does. Had a nice buck bedded with a doe next to my fence two nights ago and then again this morning. Got in my truck this morning and he had her up against the thick brush and fence boxed in at about 45 yards from me and didn't flinch when I was getting in my truck.

Ski

Just had an old nannie and fawn sneak by. Her tarsals were black as a buck's. Still not seeing scrapes but the chase this morning with a doe bleating means it's happening regardless of visible sign. Didn't see the first chase last year until the 7th, so I guess maybe the bucks just aren't leaving much sign this year???

philsanchez76

Had a young 6pt bed down in front of me this morning. About 30 minutes later around 745, 3 does came through and when he spotted them the chase was on with the last doe of the group. He was grunting too. Davidson County
im in Davidson too and all of my scrape cameras were 100% dead all day yesterday and all last night. I'm taking that to mean some chasing has started here for sure.

DoubleRidge

On way in to work saw 2½ year old 8pt with spike tagging along behind him...for our area hadn't seen the normal amount of rubs and scrapes yet? May not this year?....but have been seeing more young bucks up and cruising...typical for this time of year....if the drought conditions and lack of acorns in our area don't delay it....I'd say we are approaching the begining of the rut bell curve...textbook with several seeing young bucks cruising and pestering does....man do I love November...and I'm sitting on vacation days just waiting to burn them.

DoubleRidge

If you have your volume on you can hear this 8 grunting. This morning's hunt was the most grunting i have ever heard from a buck. Started from the time I got in the stand until around 9.
View attachment 154816

Cool video! Thanks for sharing! Your posting this video and I've got a buddy sending pics and video from his stand in northern Missouri...and I'm at work.... y'all killing me! :)

Ski

Finally got something hitting a mock scrape!

Attachments

• Cow Mock Scrape.JPG
    Cow Mock Scrape.JPG
    346.7 KB · Views: 311

Ski

Did get a few bucks acting like bucks cruising, shifting in, but still not yet making ground scrapes. Last couple mornings I should have been on this farm! That 10 is old enough for an arrow. The big forky might get one just because never seen a 3yr old fork horn, and I'm frustrated with this season so far lol

Attachments

• Big 7 2nov22.JPG
    Big 7 2nov22.JPG
    337.7 KB · Views: 360
  • Big 10 29oct22.JPG
    Big 10 29oct22.JPG
    296.7 KB · Views: 359
  • Big fork 29oct22 (3).JPG
    Big fork 29oct22 (3).JPG
    298.7 KB · Views: 347
  • 6pt 23oct22.JPG
    6pt 23oct22.JPG
    317.9 KB · Views: 359

Ski

As a side note, cross reference the date & time of the bigger bucks' pics with the historical weather. A big majority of my daylight buck pics correspond with a particular weather phenomenon. As wind changes direction, it often dies momentarily. It might be an hour or it might be a couple hours, but there's often a "lull" of no wind between directions. That's when by far most of my cameras pick up daylight buck movement. Probably doesn't mean much to some folks but I'm nerdy & find stuff like that intriguing.

The 7pt on November 2nd was at 7:30am. Same exact time the wind was at zero. At 6am it was a NE wind. At 9am it was a NW wind. But at 7:30 it was no wind.

1667505050727.png

Same thing happens with both the 10pt and the big fork horn. Same spot and again 7:30am - 7:45am. At 6am it was a NE wind. At 10am it was a SE wind. But when the bucks were on their feet in the wide open, it was during a zero MPH wind lull.

1667505180493.png

deerdills

As a side note, cross reference the date & time of the bigger bucks' pics with the historical weather. A big majority of my daylight buck pics correspond with a particular weather phenomenon. As wind changes direction, it often dies momentarily. It might be an hour or it might be a couple hours, but there's often a "lull" of no wind between directions. That's when by far most of my cameras pick up daylight buck movement. Probably doesn't mean much to some folks but I'm nerdy & find stuff like that intriguing.

The 7pt on November 2nd was at 7:30am. Same exact time the wind was at zero. At 6am it was a NE wind. At 9am it was a NW wind. But at 7:30 it was no wind.

View attachment 154862

Same thing happens with both the 10pt and the big fork horn. Same spot and again 7:30am - 7:45am. At 6am it was a NE wind. At 10am it was a SE wind. But when the bucks were on their feet in the wide open, it was during a zero MPH wind lull.

View attachment 154863
Bring on the data! 🤓

DIRTTRAX

Henderson county
Been seeing a spike and a 4pt pestering does all week. Checked a camera on one of my food plots I haven't hunted and had 4 new bucks show up with does in a 24hour period all daytime pics.

philsanchez76

View attachment 154862

View attachment 154863
Very interesting! Do you have thoughts on why?

Latest posts