F'ing coyotes

megalomaniac

Cutting the clover on my 8ac plot, pushed 2 dogs out from the middle. Found what they were on. Freshly killed hen from the morning, 9 eggs (3 broken). No embryos, all yolk, so she started setting within past 5 to 7 days.

We've called in and killed 7 so far this year, but for whatever reason these 2 dogs have been on cameras for 3 months and they won't come to a call. Time for some leghold traps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240507_123043_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20240507_123043_Messages.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20240507_123058_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20240507_123058_Messages.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 12

Hymie3

I hate coyotes with a passion. They've killed several of my chickens and fawns last few years. When they get educated to you they are hard to kill.

megalomaniac

Well, they left you 2 fly down wings and 2 bones for calls. Yes, trap'em, gut shoot them with a 22, anything is fine as long as they are dead.
We salvaged one set of wingbones, the other side was too chewed up.

6 good eggs in the incubator. I'm figuring they will be working the cut field early tomorrow morn.... gonna have a surprise waiting for them.

Stlbaseball1

So what is the timeframe in the incubator and what will you do with them? I'm just curious/intrigued. I do realize if you wouldn't have gotten them there is a 100% chance they would've been destroyed.

megalomaniac

So what is the timeframe in the incubator and what will you do with them? I'm just curious/intrigued. I do realize if you wouldn't have gotten them there is a 100% chance they would've been destroyed.
28 days at 99.7 deg and 45% humidity.

Don't know exactly when she started setting, so will give them 4 or 5 days in the incubator and candle them. I can tell based on embryonic development how many days they are into the 28d process. If I don't see development, I'll give them another 4 or 5 days and re candle them. If no development, they will be discarded, as the eggs were cooled too long from the time the coyotes killed the hen till we found them.

If they hatch, i will imprint them to become their mother. After they imprint on me, I can take them anywhere in the yard as poults to forage and explore. If they wander to far, a simple assembly call will bring them right back to my feet.

Once they are old enough, I'll just let them free range on this suburban farm. I'm sure most will get run over on the roads or eaten by predators, but at least they got a chance to live.

I've done this before, and it's a wonderful experience.

Latest posts