2022 rut report

DoubleRidge

Seen 11 this morning between the house and the farm I'm hunting....since daylight I've seen 9 from the shooting house....young bucks cruising and does with yearling....I did see a 4pt actually mount a young doe and breed her....in all the years of deer hunting and all the chases I've witnessed there's only a handful of times I've actually watched a buck breed a doe....also yesterday evening a good friend killed a nice buck that was chasing....and that buck was rank...and his back legs were black.....I'm seeing good numbers of deer just not a mature buck yet...but I'm also still seeing allot of yearlings with mama.... only seen one button buck wandering alone...from what we are seeing I'd say this week and next week should be right...good luck!

Last edited:

BSK

Very, very odd rut in my neck of the woods. Either it's a trickle rut or the rut is late. Seeing a little chasing, but not true estrus chases. See bucks cruising quite a bit but haven't seen the first signs of a true rut. Scraping is very limited. This week should be peak breeding in my area, but definitely not seeing what I would expect to see on camera.

My neighbor just texted that there's a good buck running through all our backyards here in suburban Nashville. I'll have to go look.

Bgoodman30

Saw a ton of deer Sunday one 8 pointer head down feeding not even attempting to wind does.. Finally something caught his attention and he ran off.. 3 small bucks came out together same thing barely pestering does.. Same thing happened caught wind of a hot one and immediately put their antlers together and off. A nice 9 point entered and did a quick chase before he was back to feeding.. Very odd year it's like we skipped the cruising and buck parade?

backyardtndeer

Just watched a young 8 about 15 minutes behind 2 does. Steady trot nose to the ground. Both does tarsals were clean white though, may have been one I missed slip through.

Got left a "calling card" at the bottom of my stand. Pretty fresh.
20221116_070320.jpg

Ski

Very, very odd rut in my neck of the woods. Either it's a trickle rut or the rut is late. Seeing a little chasing, but not true estrus chases. See bucks cruising quite a bit but haven't seen the first signs of a true rut. Scraping is very limited. This week should be peak breeding in my area, but definitely not seeing what I would expect to see on camera.

My neighbor just texted that there's a good buck running through all our backyards here in suburban Nashville. I'll have to go look.

I watched 3 chases this morning on different does. Two were young bucks and the does weren't having it. But the other was not so much a chase but more a corral. Doe came running out into the field and big boy got in front of her, turned her around and followed her back to the thicket. She looked like she didn't mind much because she kept stopping to look back at him. Had she brought him a little closer I'd have punched a tag.

AT Hiker

My son and I saw over 14 bucks this weekend hunting and several does. Two were chases...it was a fun weekend.

This was Montgomery County btw....also had snow for an hour. Temps dropped from 70 to 30 in less than 8 hours.
14 bucks! That's amazing and probably why others aren't seeing them, you got them all!

Any acorns in the area?

dawghater23

Saw 3 bucks on my street this morning...sumner county. 2 of em were tied up, other was just waiting his turn. Right in my neighbors front yard lol.

Saw 2 fighting last Thursday as well, not sure if it was the same 2 or not. Same spot.

There's some big boys moving like crazy around here.

WilcoKen

Im in SE Wilson Co. Cameras have video of bucks chasing. Started last Thursday. Small bucks AND 2 mature bucks. Still very few scrapes.

Antler Daddy

14 bucks! That's amazing and probably why others aren't seeing them, you got them all!

Any acorns in the area?
Some possibly could have been same bucks. Friday night, spike and two twin 4 pets, Saturday morning an 8 cruiser, Saturday evening chase with 4 different bucks, On Sunday morning, had 3 chasing, midday move 3 seperate cruisers, and evening move had 1 that came into us scraping leaves. Also, we saw a nice 8 cross road as we got ready at car to go in. On Friday before going in, saw two nice bucks with does just 30 yards across road where we did not have permission.

That's more than 14! Very small red oak acorns fell sporadically around me on Sunday. I did not see many on ground. Leaves were off trees way more than some years and forest floor covered. Most bucks that I have ever seen, just not the one we had hoped to see this time.

backyardtndeer

Only way I'd pass him is if there was a bigger one behind him!
I think he is actually a little bigger than the one I killed yesterday. I am hopeful my wife will get him. I am still hoping the 11 point that i am after is still around.

North of Jackson, time to be in the woods as much as you can right now. A lot of chasing going on this morning. Also seeing more single does.

DoubleRidge

Seen 8pt chasing single doe yesterday morning....seen 6pt chasing single doe this morning....still seeing several yearlings with their mama...we do have one button buck that's wandering around alone. Beutiful crisp morning today in northern middle.

backyardtndeer

Wife walked out this afternoon about 1:30, and about 15 minutes after getting in the stand had a 6 point chasing a doe around. She said he was grunting with every step. She said then not 45 seconds later there was a bigger buck wide open following them. She grunted but couldn't get him stopped.

Last edited: