Weirdest things you’ve seen while hunting

tree_ghost

Also last year I was hunting some property in Rutherford Co when I noticed some hot air balloons coming my way. One of them I thought was floating awfully low. Apparently at the time I realized how low they were the pilot did too. He started hitting that flame thrower with everything he had trying to gain altitude and buddy he barely made it. He ended up catching the top of a red oak with the basket and dang near threw himself and his occupants right out in the top of that oak!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1895.MOV
    15.2 MB

13pt

3BDC3B04-ADD4-4FBD-BD2A-E786B7188AE0.jpeg

Killed this big 8pt (guessed 4.5-5.5 yrs old) and he was wearing an ankle bracelet. Our best guess this was the outer casing of a brass door knob. Weird indeed.

13pt

Also last year I was hunting some property in Rutherford Co when I noticed some hot air balloons coming my way. One of them I thought was floating awfully low. Apparently at the time I realized how low they were the pilot did too. He started hitting that flame thrower with everything he had trying to gain altitude and buddy he barely made it. He ended up catching the top of a red oak with the basket and dang near threw himself and his occupants right out in the top of that oak!!!
Well you don't see that everyday…good one!

Rackseeker

I use to hunt near a lake and where I parked was at the end of a old country road. In the fall and winter the lake level would be low and you could drive down to the waters edge. From where I climbed a tree I could see that area. I was hunting a old grown up pasture on the other side of the fence line. I was sitting in my stand one morning during the week. A little Ford Ranger came down and parked on the lake bed near the waters edge. I could tell there were two people in the truck. After a few minutes I got my binos out and I couldn't see because the windows were fogged up. After a few minutes ole girl got out and took a pee beside the truck, naked as a jaybird. I was thinking some ole boy knocking off a little before work. LOL......... Then a few minutes later another girl got out of the driver side and took a leak. I named that stand the beaver lick stand from then on.

13pt

I use to hunt near a lake and where I parked was at the end of a old country road. In the fall and winter the lake level would be low and you could drive down to the waters edge. From where I climbed a tree I could see that area. I was hunting a old grown up pasture on the other side of the fence line. I was sitting in my stand one morning during the week. A little Ford Ranger came down and parked on the lake bed near the waters edge. I could tell there were two people in the truck. After a few minutes I got my binos out and I couldn't see because the windows were fogged up. After a few minutes ole girl got out and took a pee beside the truck, naked as a jaybird. I was thinking some ole boy knocking off a little before work. LOL......... Then a few minutes later another girl got out of the driver side and took a leak. I named that stand the beaver lick stand from then on.
I didn't need to hear that before going to church 😳

Emmet

I realize it is natural and obviously happens often, well for some of us. I had my 8 year old son believing these two were playing tag. This game of tag was very entertaining to him for most of the morning. Then my son elbowed me and said daddy, look that squirrel finally caught the other one ! What is he doing to that other Squirrel ? The questions for the next several hours were endless. I wasn't ready for that conversation. But looking back, I wouldn't take a million dollars for the hours we spent elbow to elbow every weekend in the woods.

Attachments

• 0D817E4F-31F0-4D33-81B9-2E3EF9A7A090.jpeg
    0D817E4F-31F0-4D33-81B9-2E3EF9A7A090.jpeg
    97.4 KB · Views: 108

RobDooley

25 years ago, buddy id mine and I were scouting some property I had just gotten permission to hunt. We were heading across a field toward a tree line when I noticed a flesh colored object hanging in the trees about 200 yards from where we stood. The closer we got the more concerned I became and I told my buddy, man I think we have come across a crime scene or something, there's a dead body up in those trees! The horror grew and grew until we were about 45 yards out or so and realized it was a blow up sex doll!
I've been looking for her forever....dang I love that woman.

gobbler32

I was bow hunting one morning in '94 or '95 and heard something walking toward the tree i was in. I stood up and got my bow ready and realized it wasn't a deer at all. I stood there amazed at the biggest possum I've ever seen, had to be 50lbs or better. It was a giant for sure, must have got into some nuclear waste!

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I was bow hunting one morning in '94 or '95 and heard something walking toward the tree i was in. I stood up and got my bow ready and realized it wasn't a deer at all. I stood there amazed at the biggest possum I've ever seen, had to be 50lbs or better. It was a giant for sure, must have got into some nuclear waste!

Hunting in the fire swamp were we?
E00FFF2C-2475-4048-B35B-2C7F45C7D7F7.jpg

Team Yuma

Was hunting in the snow a couple of years ago….late season. I was in a box blind down in a big field. Deer had started to enter the field everywhere. The road through the field is probably 3/4 a mile to the main road.

All the deer started looking up toward the road, and there was a van headed down the hill into the field that was covered in snow. I watched as this van started doing donuts and all of a sudden, the van got stuck. I literally sat there and watched for 30 minutes as they tried to get this van unstuck and finally they got it freed up.

akachuck

I seen a random tire swing out in the middle of no where before, just in the woods with nothing around. I'm pretty sure while scouting on Public land I found a deconstructed meth lab.

Nsghunter

Two creepy encounters and one that was a once in a lifetime wildlife sighting

1: I hiked about 3 miles into State Game Land #110 on blue mtn (I think) in PA. I found a fair amount of tracks crossing the road/trail so I went off into the woods to see if I could get a setup. I walked about 5o yards in and the terrain stepped of pretty steep. Then there was a Big pile of rip-rap stones going off the edge of the MTN, it was almost like a weird sorta driveway except it was super steep and it was rip-rap and HUGE stones. All the ground around it was covered with some type grass that was very thick and about 4 feet high (Real good place to fall and break an ankle) I took advantage of the stones and headed down them instead of risking falling with all my gear. I went about 30 yards down the mtn there was a chain link fence, with wire at the top. It was about 8 feet high. Now I am not a local but the best I can tell I was in the middle of nowhere and this fence seemed to go on for a great distance in both directions. I didn't follow it too far either way, I wanted to hunt plus I was kind of skeered why the fence was there. Realistically, it was probably something to do with the original use of the land long before it was a SGL or maybe it was something to do with strip mining and keeping people safe but it really got me stirred up ( in a bad way.)

2: On the same SGL as the story above, on the same day but later on. I found a water source with fresh sign so I set up my stand, about a hundred yards from the fence thing. The stand was facing the road/trail I walked in on. Three people road by on bicycles but one was on a big tricycle thing. It didn't look like they spotted me up in my tree back in the woods. They obviously were not hunting and I don't know why but they had me uneasy. Maybe because I was so far back in there or because I was still thinking of all the creepy reasons that fence may have been in place. Almost an hour elapsed and then I started hearing them in the woods further on down from me. First they started playing music that sounded like it was from a hand crank phonograph (Like form all the horror movies), the music was also reminiscent of something upbeat and highly vocal and soprano from the twenties (JUST like a horror movie). Then they continued on walking through the woods trudging around but after an hour or so they began to carry on and cry out undistinguishably for an hour or so. I pulled up from that spot and began to walk to the car. I didn't want to leave after dark or be on the trail after dark in that place, ESPECIALLY with those people around. Honestly they were most likely just getting really high and having a good time. Kinda sounded what I though an acid trip might be like but I didn't to ended up having an encounter with them.

3. Hunting off of French Creek state park in PA, I was in a tree overlooking a clearing that had a three feet rock fence that ran through it. I figured that a deer might walk down that old rock fence and give me a broadside shot. I was looking over my shoulder to another trail that intersected a trail in front of me and as I strained to look for anything brown or out of place (it was about 45 minutes before legal sunset) and an owl swooped down from the canopy and grabbed something form the forest floor and flew away. The owl was completely silent except for the "scratch" in the leaves but the critter it grabbed squeaked and squealed like, well, like it was gonna die... By far the coolest thing I have seen while hunting.

JCDEERMAN

Two creepy encounters and one that was a once in a lifetime wildlife sighting

1: I hiked about 3 miles into State Game Land #110 on blue mtn (I think) in PA. I found a fair amount of tracks crossing the road/trail so I went off into the woods to see if I could get a setup. I walked about 5o yards in and the terrain stepped of pretty steep. Then there was a Big pile of rip-rap stones going off the edge of the MTN, it was almost like a weird sorta driveway except it was super steep and it was rip-rap and HUGE stones. All the ground around it was covered with some type grass that was very thick and about 4 feet high (Real good place to fall and break an ankle) I took advantage of the stones and headed down them instead of risking falling with all my gear. I went about 30 yards down the mtn there was a chain link fence, with wire at the top. It was about 8 feet high. Now I am not a local but the best I can tell I was in the middle of nowhere and this fence seemed to go on for a great distance in both directions. I didn't follow it too far either way, I wanted to hunt plus I was kind of skeered why the fence was there. Realistically, it was probably something to do with the original use of the land long before it was a SGL or maybe it was something to do with strip mining and keeping people safe but it really got me stirred up ( in a bad way.)

2: On the same SGL as the story above, on the same day but later on. I found a water source with fresh sign so I set up my stand, about a hundred yards from the fence thing. The stand was facing the road/trail I walked in on. Three people road by on bicycles but one was on a big tricycle thing. It didn't look like they spotted me up in my tree back in the woods. They obviously were not hunting and I don't know why but they had me uneasy. Maybe because I was so far back in there or because I was still thinking of all the creepy reasons that fence may have been in place. Almost an hour elapsed and then I started hearing them in the woods further on down from me. First they started playing music that sounded like it was from a hand crank phonograph (Like form all the horror movies), the music was also reminiscent of something upbeat and highly vocal and soprano from the twenties (JUST like a horror movie). Then they continued on walking through the woods trudging around but after an hour or so they began to carry on and cry out undistinguishably for an hour or so. I pulled up from that spot and began to walk to the car. I didn't want to leave after dark or be on the trail after dark in that place, ESPECIALLY with those people around. Honestly they were most likely just getting really high and having a good time. Kinda sounded what I though an acid trip might be like but I didn't to ended up having an encounter with them.

3. Hunting off of French Creek state park in PA, I was in a tree overlooking a clearing that had a three feet rock fence that ran through it. I figured that a deer might walk down that old rock fence and give me a broadside shot. I was looking over my shoulder to another trail that intersected a trail in front of me and as I strained to look for anything brown or out of place (it was about 45 minutes before legal sunset) and an owl swooped down from the canopy and grabbed something form the forest floor and flew away. The owl was completely silent except for the "scratch" in the leaves but the critter it grabbed squeaked and squealed like, well, like it was gonna die... By far the coolest thing I have seen while hunting.
You have something strange going on with fences. I'd stay away from them 😂

Latest posts