The end of things …

BigAl

Sorry to hear that, Fairchaser. I've always heard as Hunters get older they start dropping like flies. I'm frustrated myself but am trying to hold on until I retire and can get some "retirement" hunting done.

As for Ames/CWD/TWRA, its hard for me to say. I hunt less than 10 miles from Ames as the crow flies. We have seen our density numbers and mature buck sightings drop over the last few years, and I can assure you it wasn't a result of overharvesting. I point the finger at CWD and don't blame TWRA, as if you look at the harvest numbers, they have gone down. IF we're killing them all, it would show in the harvest numbers.

One wildcard is the depredation permits. This is something we know very little about. We spend all this time getting data and harvest numbers, but we have no idea how many permits are issued and how many deer are killed as a result of these permits. I had a farmer nearby tell me they killed appx 500 in one season. This was just as CWD was kicking in.

TX300mag

One wildcard is the depredation permits. This is something we know very little about. We spend all this time getting data and harvest numbers, but we have no idea how many permits are issued and how many deer are killed as a result of these permits. I had a farmer nearby tell me they killed appx 500 in one season. This was just as CWD was kicking in.

I'm thinking more and more that this is the case. I think hunters don't killed ENOUGH deer in certain areas so farmers come in and do what hunters won't. And on a much larger scale.

I don't think anybody has a real Clue how many deer are killed by or on behalf of farmers.

It's my understanding that it's common practice to gut shoot deer so that run out of the field before dying. Please, someone correct me if that isn't the case.

I had a relative find over 40 dead in one small field after what he thinks was one night of shooting, many of these were mature bucks. This farm is 80 acres total-maybe half if this farm is row crop. I wonder how many ran into the woods and died.

The problem isn't your neighbor shooting a handful of does for the freezer or even killing a couple of yearling bucks.

TheLBLman

By no means do I mean to come across as attacking farmers (and I come from a big farming family) . . . . . . . .

I don't think anybody has a real Clue how many deer are killed by or on behalf of farmers.
And I suspect MOST do NOT have a depredation permit.
Kinda a type of SSS situation for many farmers.
It's my understanding that it's common practice to gut shoot deer so that run out of the field before dying.
Yes, that is the common practice during the summer months.
When a soybean field is full of deer, you do not want the deer to die in the field (where the combine can be badly damaged by deer bones). Gut shot deer will typically run into the woods and not die in the field.

Not condoning any of this, just confirming that in many instances, deer are viewed as pests much like many of us would view an infestation of mice in our house.

fairchaser

I'm thinking more and more that this is the case. I think hunters don't killed ENOUGH deer in certain areas so farmers come in and do what hunters won't. And on a much larger scale.

It's my understanding that it's common practice to gut shoot deer so that run out of the field before dying. Please, someone correct me if that isn't the case.

I had a relative find over 40 dead in one small field after what he thinks was one night of shooting, many of these were mature bucks. This farm is 80 acres total-maybe half if this farm is row crop. I wonder how many ran into the woods and died.

The problem isn't your neighbor shooting a handful of does for the freezer or even killing a couple of yearling bucks.
I don't see how it's humanly possible to kill 40 deer in one night in one small field unless you have 40 shooters. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

7mmWSM

That's a major problem around here. The GW's in our county was pushing for the farmers to do it years before CWD was found.

TX300mag

I don't see how it's humanly possible to kill 40 deer in one night in one small field unless you have 40 shooters. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't know how many shooters. I'm assuming it was night vision and maybe even silencers.

I doubt they killed them in the woods and then dragged them into the field.

He was very upset about it and it won't happen again.

Snake

If you don't think you can't shoot a place out think again. I know of some guys from near my home in east Tennessee that had a 2000 acre lease and they shot everything they could . One guy even bought a couple acres from the landowner and put a double wide trailer on it were they'd have a place to stay . Several years of shooting everything finally took its toll. This was in Lincoln Co . They finally gave up the lease and the one that had the trailer sold it because it wasn't worth going that far when they could hunt at home and see about the same . If this keeps up you'll understand what some of us in East Tennessee has to deal with going multiple trips without seeing much activity.

TX300mag

If you don't think you can't shoot a place out think again. I know of some guys from near my home in east Tennessee that had a 2000 acre lease and they shot everything they could . One guy even bought a couple acres from the landowner and put a double wide trailer on it were they'd have a place to stay . Several years of shooting everything finally took its toll. This was in Lincoln Co . They finally gave up the lease and the one that had the trailer sold it because it wasn't worth going that far when they could hunt at home and see about the same . If this keeps up you'll understand what some of us in East Tennessee has to deal with going multiple trips without seeing much activity.

You don't even have to shoot a place out. Putting a lot of pressure on a place can have the same effect from a hunter's viewpoint.

megalomaniac

This will probably.be the first year since 1985 I haven't shot a buck in TN.

I haven't lost any fire for hunting... already had 10 days afield, and another 5 days coming up in a week and a half.

I've been seeing plenty of 'shooters'... have had 6 opportunities to kill 4.5yo bucks.

I just don't care about killing them myself any longer.

Last year the only buck I shot was a 4.5 or 5.5yo cull that scored 85.

I'm at the point where I'd rather watch someone else shoot the 125in 4.5yos that's a great buck to them rather than me shooting them myself.

That being said, I get really fired up about hunting an old cull, we just don't have any of those this year that I've seen.

I guess I no longer have to kill a deer to feel I've had a successful season.... can't believe I'm saying that, but it's true.

TheLBLman

This will probably.be the first year since 1985 I haven't shot a buck in TN.
I haven't lost any fire for hunting... I've been seeing plenty of 'shooters'...

I just don't care about killing them myself any longer.

I'm at the point where I'd rather watch someone else shoot the 125in 4.5yos that's a great buck to them rather than me shooting them myself.
I guess I no longer have to kill a deer to feel I've had a successful season.... can't believe I'm saying that, but it's true.
Amazing how parallel our thoughts.
If I don't kill a buck this year in TN, it will be my 3rd consecutive year of not.

Half the bucks I pass get killed by my friends/family, and I'm usually as happy or happier about that than if I had taken them myself.

What I don't understand is old hunters (much like myself) with a wall full of mature bucks who can't seem to themselves go buckless for a year or two, even when that means they are compelled to take out the top-end 2 1/2's, that might be personal bests for some young hunters in their circle of hunters.

At some point, many hunters, like you have had, have a paradigm shift, and become more hunter-managers, more focused on helping the younger hunters than themselves limiting out each year. And ironically, you likely enjoy your hunting more than ever before.
Go figure :)

In related thoughts . . . . . . .

Last edited:

Jon54

I've had the good fortune to deer hunt for over 40 years. I can still vividly remember my first hunt and that first buck! But, it's starting to feel like it's winding down.

While I'm getting older, my health is still good, praise God, the situation at Ames is changing for the worse for the deer club especially.

The deer population is very diminished. For me and other members, our average deer sighting is about one for 10 hours on stand. That's are hard pill to swallow. CWD has taken out many of the older bucks and with no antler restrictions, it's open season on anything with horns. To make matters worse, a huge portion of the land has been sold and will be unavailable next season.

I can't see deer hunting anywhere else. It would be difficult to start over, especially knowing CWD is pretty much everywhere within a reasonable drive.

I'm not sure what the silver lining is here. But I know I will continue, Lord willing, to enjoy the outdoors.
Similar situation with me but with the added complication of a treestand fall 6 yrs ago. I now wander around parks and other open areas with my camera and simply love the transition.

Snake

I simply understand how you all feel about just watching your bucks and having joy by seeing others take bucks you took in your earlier hunting career. I was hoping my next to youngest I gave the 270 to would come up to.deer hunt but he didn't. With that said it's really hard for me to push myself to go but if I can get the ole body up and go you can bet if a decent buck comes through I'm punching his ticket . It's not really the desire I lack but the stamina it takes to do my type of hunting . I could have let my grandson take bucks I would have normally took but like I said they didn't come up . I don't know if he don't start hunting some with me if I'll even hunt next year . Your body is the boss and mine is telling me to hang it up .

Speedwell-Hunter

I've had the good fortune to deer hunt for over 40 years. I can still vividly remember my first hunt and that first buck! But, it's starting to feel like it's winding down.

While I'm getting older, my health is still good, praise God, the situation at Ames is changing for the worse for the deer club especially.

The deer population is very diminished. For me and other members, our average deer sighting is about one for 10 hours on stand. That's are hard pill to swallow. CWD has taken out many of the older bucks and with no antler restrictions, it's open season on anything with horns. To make matters worse, a huge portion of the land has been sold and will be unavailable next season.

I can't see deer hunting anywhere else. It would be difficult to start over, especially knowing CWD is pretty much everywhere within a reasonable drive.

I'm not sure what the silver lining is here. But I know I will continue, Lord willing, to enjoy the outdoors.

This is extremely painful to hear; I think we will have to do is reach out to others on the forum and see if we can help with them (id be willing to take ya too).

I don't think anybody wants to see your deer hunting days end, you are integral to this forum n community

Andy S.

Same here. I really enjoy the spark and fire a new hunter (kid, adult or elder) gets from shooting a doe, young buck or mature buck. If any way possible, I'm all in with helping them succeed. My personal hunting drive these days is for bigger mature does (meat for freezer), a mature buck grossing 130" or so (self-imposed, rarely have more than 2-3 to chase in any given season) or ANY deer any other hunter wants to shoot, especially if it's a new hunter. I will gladly assist however I can to help other hunters scout, find, shoot and retrieve deer. With all of that said, I still find myself hunting by myself majority of the time, mainly due to limited land access outside of public ground, work and family commitments, and a host of other things that "pop up" last minute, oftentimes derailing my "tentative plans".

fairchaser

This is extremely painful to hear; I think we will have to do is reach out to others on the forum and see if we can help with them (id be willing to take ya too).

I don't think anybody wants to see your deer hunting days end, you are integral to this forum n community
That's very kind of you speedwell. Lord willing I'll still be hunting somewhere and even if I don't, I plan to contribute my little .02 here are there. Thanks

tellico4x4

Same here. I really enjoy the spark and fire a new hunter (kid, adult or elder) gets from shooting a doe, young buck or mature buck. If any way possible, I'm all in with helping them succeed. My personal hunting drive these days is for bigger mature does (meat for freezer), a mature buck grossing 130" or so
Me too. Let a 125-130 four year old go twice yesterday morning, one time at 20 yards. Hopefully one of my grands or a younger club member will get a chance at him.

mike243

Well I have always heard when 1 door closes another will open, may take longer than 1 person can recognize but it will happen, we can't stop the world from turning or the progression of something we don't have 100% control of. Very little in this world can we change overnight when so many things are involved.

Latest posts