The streak comes to a end...

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
With the close of season upon us, (not able to get out this weekend), it will mark for the first time since the 1995 season that I didn't kill at least 1 deer. Most years i've killed 3-5 with some exceptional years of double digits. I thought I would disappointed in how my season went, but overall was happy and got to watch deer die. This year, I was focused on getting my 13y/o son and dad both deer. I only hunted 3x by myself. 2 of 3 I didn't even see a deer cause I tried to hunt less favorable spots that wouldn't mess up my dad & son's future hunts.

I accomplished my goals with my son killing 3 deer (1 buck/2 does) and missing a good buck opening AM of ML. Dad was able to kill a nice 8 pt opening weekend of gun. Dad is almost 74 and found out he had liver cancer earlier in the year. They did some treatments at UVA in Aug and at end of Oct they told him he was cancer free. He was so worn out from the treatments, he didn't hunt any in bow and just a handful of times in Nov. Just glad he was able to make the best of time he was able to go.

Best of luck to everyone on the end of the season. I'm already making plans on habitat improvements for my place this year so that I can get a chance at one of the 5 mature bucks I had on camera. Remember to enjoy that time with the love ones and don't worry about the kill.

useyourbow

I feel you. As it stands right now this will be the first year I have not killed a deer with my bow in 25 years. First year living/hunting here in Tennessee and only had WMA to hunt. Thankfully I shot a buck with a rifle in Kentucky so not skunked completely.

Crappieaddict

It appears that I am not going to get a deer this year. For the past three years I have hunted my smaller farm exclusively. Although it is not crawling with deer, I definitely passed on more than one. My interest seems to be more in improving the habitat to hold more deer and turkeys. Harvest is certainly key in management, but I'm not to the point where that is essential yet.

gobbler32

With the close of season upon us, (not able to get out this weekend), it will mark for the first time since the 1995 season that I didn't kill at least 1 deer. Most years i've killed 3-5 with some exceptional years of double digits. I thought I would disappointed in how my season went, but overall was happy and got to watch deer die. This year, I was focused on getting my 13y/o son and dad both deer. I only hunted 3x by myself. 2 of 3 I didn't even see a deer cause I tried to hunt less favorable spots that wouldn't mess up my dad & son's future hunts.

I accomplished my goals with my son killing 3 deer (1 buck/2 does) and missing a good buck opening AM of ML. Dad was able to kill a nice 8 pt opening weekend of gun. Dad is almost 74 and found out he had liver cancer earlier in the year. They did some treatments at UVA in Aug and at end of Oct they told him he was cancer free. He was so worn out from the treatments, he didn't hunt any in bow and just a handful of times in Nov. Just glad he was able to make the best of time he was able to go.

Best of luck to everyone on the end of the season. I'm already making plans on habitat improvements for my place this year so that I can get a chance at one of the 5 mature bucks I had on camera. Remember to enjoy that time with the love ones and don't worry about the kill.
I understand completely, it'll be the first time since '85 I haven't punched at least 1 tag on a doe or buck

megalomaniac

Same here! In TN I hunted 17 days, but only 4 days for myself. Got 2 kids their first deer ever, got 2 other kids good bucks, but I never saw one I wanted to shoot.

So it was a GREAT season, even though I didn't kill one. Just feel bad for the other 2 kids I took that didn't get one.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Same here! In TN I hunted 17 days, but only 4 days for myself. Got 2 kids their first deer ever, got 2 other kids good bucks, but I never saw one I wanted to shoot.

So it was a GREAT season, even though I didn't kill one. Just feel bad for the other 2 kids I took that didn't get one.
Wow!! Mega, you are "THE MAN"!!!! You took 6 youth hunting! Were successful with 4!!! Something tells me the other 2 will be back next season with some good odds in their favor!
Way to go brother!!

Seriously!

Snake

Think I went one year hunting back here in east Tennessee that I didn't kill at least one deer . That year I could have killed a doe but didn't want to kill does on my property. Got a couple places besides my little place now so back on the killing track . Tagged out and could have killed a couple does but chose not to. Only downside is that I wished I let the last buck I killed walk , he was 2 1/2 and could have been a nice buck in a few years if he could make it.

Huntaholic

This was the first year since 1979 that I didnt bowhunt and it was the first year since 1981 that I didnt kill a deer in TN. Im just not that mad at them anymore!
I did kill a mule deer in Montana though so I guess it wasnt a COMPLETELY dry season for me. Thing is, we didnt need the meat and if I PERSONALLY dont keep it and eat it, I feel like its a waste to kill something.

CBU93

This was the first year since 1979 that I didnt bowhunt and it was the first year since 1981 that I didnt kill a deer in TN. Im just not that mad at them anymore!
I did kill a mule deer in Montana though so I guess it wasnt a COMPLETELY dry season for me. Thing is, we didnt need the meat and if I PERSONALLY dont keep it and eat it, I feel like its a waste to kill something.
So Hunt, where did you kill your whitetails this year? I know you travelled more than just Montana…if you didn't, I would totally shocked!

Me on the other hand, I don't think I've killed a mammal or game bird other than a dove or two in six years!

Huntaholic

So Hunt, where did you kill your whitetails this year? I know you travelled more than just Montana…if you didn't, I would totally shocked!

Me on the other hand, I don't think I've killed a mammal or game bird other than a dove or two in six years!
LOL I actually didnt kill a whitetail ANYWHERE this year! I guess since you mentioned it, its the first time since 1981 that I havent killed a whitetail period!
In addition to Montana, I also went to Texas the week after Thanksgiving and I didnt kill a deer there either! I hunted 5 days, could have killed a legal buck every sit, but they were all small. And the population is a shadow of what it was just 3 years ago, its that way EVERYWHERE, ALL ACROSS THE COUNTRY too. People that dont travel dont see it and instead believe the crap the wildlife folks say, its a drought, its 2 bad winters, its ehd, its, whatever, fact of the matter is THEY ARENT THERE. Sure, there are isolated pockets where the wildlife population is still good, but by and large, its gone. My personal thoughts on it are fauci flu is WAY MORE DEADLY to wildlife than it is to us.
Only way to get the flyover states people to come into your compound (city) is to starve them out. Take away their ability to be independent.

Latest posts