Poacher comes clean….

AT Hiker

I'll second Kenyon, can't stand his slow azz talking.
I listened to him when he first started out on his own, I liked him but he quickly ran out of new and good content. Now that he is on Meateater I just cant handle him.

However, I did buy his public lands book. I suggest that book to anyone who enjoys federal public land. Full of good history and you don't have to listen to his slow talking.

AT Hiker

Rinella! I also like Yanis, but I can't stand Kenyon. Not sure why.
Steve has gotten on my nerves, I have about given up on his podcast because he cant seem to shut up and let the others talk. Just like their dang website, they want let me cruise or shop without wanting me to signup...even when Im logged in with a gift card trying to spend money, they want shutup enough for me to focus!
I finally caved and listened to the Evan interview (Turnpike Troubadours). Steve had the opportunity to have one of the best podcast ever, he let it slide by, albeit it was still a good listen.

DeerCamp

Steve has gotten on my nerves, I have about given up on his podcast because he cant seem to shut up and let the others talk. Just like their dang website, they want let me cruise or shop without wanting me to signup...even when Im logged in with a gift card trying to spend money, they want shutup enough for me to focus!
I finally caved and listened to the Evan interview (Turnpike Troubadours). Steve had the opportunity to have one of the best podcast ever, he let it slide by, albeit it was still a good listen.
I would basically agree with this. His audiobooks are great. Meateater when it was first narrated by someone else was unlistenable. With him, excellent. American Buffalo - awesome. I'm getting ready to listen to The Long Hunters.

On the show, I expect him to talk a lot and it works.

I have only listened to a handful of podcasts from the meateater crew, but never found them that engaging. I guess its the lack of structure, and maybe more often, lack of engaging topics. Or maybe what you just said. However, the one about meat processing with the meat scientists from Nebraska was fantastic (but again, mostly because of the information, not the show)

Last edited:

AT Hiker

I would basically agree with this. His audiobooks are great. Meateater when it was first narrated by someone else was unlistenable. With him, excellent. American Buffalo - awesome. I'm getting ready to listen to The Long Hunters.

On the show, I expect him to talk a lot and it works.

I have only listened to a handful of podcasts from the meateater crew, but never found them that engaging. I guess its the lack of structure, and maybe more often, lack of engaging topics. Or maybe what you just said. The one about meat processing with the meat scientists from Nebraska was fantastic.
I have not listened to an audio book narrated by him but Id like too. Him and Clay have a new book out about Longhunters, that might be a good one to listen.

Pilchard

At the heart of this is that you know he is guilty, but of what exactly... that's the part that makes me think a bit.

Is what he did unethical? I don't know... Was what he did wrong? That's a clear yes.

The distinction there is important. Speeding is illegal, but isn't necessarily unethical.

Many people probably could have killed that buck in the same manner he did. That's the part to me that edges into morality. There were many hunters chasing that deer the right way, and he stole that opportunity from them. I think the fact that he talks about it so candidly now is incredible.

Fascinating listen. Clay is easily my 2nd favorite meateater.
Of course it's unethical. An ethical hunter rolls his window down for a picture...

DeerCamp

Donnie was right. Hunter's are selfish. I've made some stupid decisions, particularly when younger, to try and gain that validation from other hunters.

What seemed like a defining moment for him was put into perspective in the most heartbreaking way.

BamaProud

Bear Grease is a great podcast. He's done another 3 or 4 part series on Turkey Pochers.

EP. 52: GENUINE OUTLAWS - LOUIE DALE AND CHARLEY EDWARDS, PART 1

BamaProud

My Country life with Brent Reaves is great too. He's a retired Game Warden and Narcotics officer that also Guided Duck hunts in Arkansas.

Bone Collector

Bear Grease is a great podcast. He's done another 3 or 4 part series on Turkey Pochers.

EP. 52: GENUINE OUTLAWS - LOUIE DALE AND CHARLEY EDWARDS, PART 1

I've been listening to this. Through art 2. It's good so far.

Latest posts