Poacher

Buckhunter10

Well just got a call from a neighbor that someone was in one of my stands on opening morning of muzzleloader. This is on a farm that I have sole rights to hunt and the stand is highly visible from the road. I believe I know who exactly who it is as I have pictures of him riding through the field once previously.

So now my question is do I wait until day break and try to catch him in the stand but with me missing opening morning or do I go get in the stand really early and be a nice little surprise if he shows up?

tug

He did not fly into that seat. Unless he lives so close he can walk, his vehicle is somewhere. Figure out where he parks. Block the vehicle first. Trail cam his parking spot. Trail cam the stand.

I have had incidents where the poachers drove in, and 3 where they walked from their homes to the property. The ones where they drive in are easier. Of course, be prepared for "the owner gave me permission years ago", "I've hunted here all my life", "my daddy hunted here all his life", etc etc.

And contact your local TWRA LE before this goes down so he knows the situation. They like a known situation better than sorting it out in real time. And they are more likely to respond if they know a prosecution is what you seek.

If you are serious, you can hunt deer and the poacher. Just get there very early, hunt from the ground within sight of the stand. You might get two for the effort of one.

timberjack86

I had a buddy whose dad was shot over a similar situation. The "poacher" ran him down in his vehicle after a similar confrontation and shot my buddys dad. These situations can escalate quickly. Be better to let that actual landowner deal with it.

Sasquatch Boogie Outdoors

How about just talking to the guy 1st, like an adult… even though he is in the wrong you may be able to avoid confrontation with eye to eye conversation. If that don't work then get your ducks in a row and call GW

backyardtndeer

I would call the game warden, it's his job to take care of these issues. I would probably also do my best to be in the stand earlier than he could possibly get there. Maybe park your vehicle somewhere else where he won't know that you are there, or have someone drop you off.

rem270

How about just talking to the guy 1st, like an adult… even though he is in the wrong you may be able to avoid confrontation with eye to eye conversation. If that don't work then get your ducks in a row and call GW
I see what you're saying there but no one is getting a second chance with me. You know if you're trespassing or poaching. Someone that climbs up in someone else's stand that is visible from a road has no respect or care to anyone. Not saying I would confront him but I'd at least get enough evidence to turn over to the authorities where they can be prosecuted.

Mcboom

I'd call the landowner first and make sure they didn't give someone else permission. I find it hard to believe someone would be dumb enough to trespass and sit your stand on opening weekend.

Lost Lake

I'm continually amazed at the audacity some folks display. I'd check with the landowner, and go from there. Somebody trespassing with cojones that size is either totally crazy or has testicular elephantiasis, so I'd be deliberate but cautious approaching him. The good thing is if it's the latter, he won't be able to run away very fast.

Seriously, I'd attach a sign to the stand letting him know that he's been found out, but without landowner approval it might be difficult to pursue further.

Latest posts