Poacher comes clean….

Bucket

Did you say Donnie Baker?

560048900b464.image.jpg

AT Hiker

Been a very interesting story so far! About half way through it. Respect to the guy for telling it
I wrapped up part 1. I respect the dude too. Sounded genuine and his admission on having to come clean with his friends and family sounded like it built his character.
Then mentioning the weight that had been lifted once he came clean with the wardens was wild too. He knew he was caught as soon as he released the arrow.

Ski

Interesting listen for sure. Not the typical poacher perspective. IMO it sounds like a morally solid man who got overwhelmed with temptation and made a mistake. He owned it and accepted the consequences. This situation is far cry different than most slimeball poachers who make it common practice for themselves.

HoytDawg

This is a great podcast in general for you guys who have never listened to it. He does a series on Daniel Boone that had some really cool stuff I never knew. Also has a really interesting series with a game warden that went undercover for years to bust a poaching ring. Good way to pass windshield time.

DeerCamp

At the heart of this is that you know he is guilty, but of what exactly... that's the part that makes me think a bit.

Is what he did unethical? I don't know... Was what he did wrong? That's a clear yes.

The distinction there is important. Speeding is illegal, but isn't necessarily unethical.

Many people probably could have killed that buck in the same manner he did. That's the part to me that edges into morality. There were many hunters chasing that deer the right way, and he stole that opportunity from them. I think the fact that he talks about it so candidly now is incredible.

Fascinating listen. Clay is easily my 2nd favorite meateater.

Last edited:

bowhunterfanatic

At the heart of this is that you know he is guilty, but of what exactly... that's the part that makes me think a bit.

Is what he did unethical? I don't know... Was what he did wrong? That's a clear yes.

The distinction there is important. Speeding is illegal, but isn't necessarily unethical.

Many people probably could have killed that buck in the same manner he did. That's the part to me that edges into morality. There were many hunters chasing that deer the right way, and he stole that opportunity from them. I think the fact that he talks about it so candidly now is incredible.

Fascinating listen. Clay is easily my 2nd favorite meateater.
Who is first?

Latest posts