Poacher in Hixson 12/16/2022

Ski

Be no deer trail if a human trail was there. Guy at least knows how to follow a deer trail. Means he isn't a noob so don't buy he was just stumbling through.

Stumbling through is not something I ever suspected, especially at 2:30am. He's at the bottom of a very steep, slippery hillside. The fact that somebody is out there in the middle of the night isn't as baffling to me as where in the heck he came from. He's headed toward civilization but behind him is miles & miles of wide open timber before he's got a place to park.

Squirle hunter

What was he poaching looks like a shotgun in his hand. Probably some one lives close and Squirle hunting is your property marked correctly cause if not they will not prosecute. Has to be clearly marked every 36 ft along property lines. Rember when I was a kid we hunted on everybody and nobody cared they knew who you was and what you was doing. The only ones to care was transplants from other states.

Ski

Rember when I was a kid we hunted on everybody and nobody cared they knew who you was and what you was doing. The only ones to care was transplants from other states.

Boy have those times changed. I'd be tickled pink if I caught a kid squirrel hunting. I don't see that very often but boy it sure was a big part of my childhood. I loved walking the woods for them tree rats. Lord only knows how many miles I've put on just to see what's over that ridge in the next hollow, or if there's a good hole down there around that bend. If it weren't for fishing creeks and hunting squirrels, I'd have had to live a normal childhood 😂

UCStandSitter

LOL.......Like some of yall haven't ever trespassed.
I can honestly say that I've only ever trespassed one time with a weapon in my hand and it was unintentional. When I realized I was on the farm neighboring where I had access, I looked up the guy's number and gave him a call. Introduced myself, told him the truth about being confused on the boundary and if he were to see my on a trail cam I was sorry and wouldn't be back. He was very pleasant and we chatted for about a half hour about the deer we were seeing. By the end of the call I had access to the adjoining farm as well even though I that was never my angle. I know that landowner hunts it as well though so I've only ever scouted it prior to season and never hunted it.

DoubleRidge

Boy have those times changed. I'd be tickled pink if I caught a kid squirrel hunting. I don't see that very often but boy it sure was a big part of my childhood. I loved walking the woods for them tree rats. Lord only knows how many miles I've put on just to see what's over that ridge in the next hollow, or if there's a good hole down there around that bend. If it weren't for fishing creeks and hunting squirrels, I'd have had to live a normal childhood 😂
Creek fishing, squirrel hunting and running a few traps sounds like a normal childhood....or at least it once was.... great memories.

Henry

The shoes: He's practicing to be an infiltrator for the FBI.

Last edited:

Swampster

When I was a kid, there wasn't much else to hunt. Maybe play sniper to the groundhogs.

Headhunter

What was he poaching looks like a shotgun in his hand. Probably some one lives close and Squirle hunting is your property marked correctly cause if not they will not prosecute. Has to be clearly marked every 36 ft along property lines. Rember when I was a kid we hunted on everybody and nobody cared they knew who you was and what you was doing. The only ones to care was transplants from other states.
Wrong, property does not have to be marked. Landowner or someone with authority approved by the landowner has to personally prosecute, but signs are not required to prosecute someone for trespassing.

MUP

To effectively prosecute in court, landowner must be willing to show up personally, and property is required to be posted at ALL major points of ingress and egresss. This is what I have read and been told as well. And also the purple paint law for lines applies as well. This is effective for landowners, not sure about lease agreements, I believe the owner would have to be the one to prosecute.

gary66

Stumbling through is not something I ever suspected, especially at 2:30am. He's at the bottom of a very steep, slippery hillside. The fact that somebody is out there in the middle of the night isn't as baffling to me as where in the heck he came from. He's headed toward civilization but behind him is miles & miles of wide open timber before he's got a place to park.
That is weird. Sounds like someone who's been there before.

Ski

That is weird. Sounds like someone who's been there before.

I kind of suspect either a ginseng poacher or a coon hunter going after his dog. I'd have figured somebody who was going to be out at night would have a head lamp on instead of a handheld flashlight. As long as he kept going & doesn't come back I don't really care.

gary66

I kind of suspect either a ginseng poacher or a coon hunter going after his dog. I'd have figured somebody who was going to be out at night would have a head lamp on instead of a handheld flashlight. As long as he kept going & doesn't come back I don't really care.
good way to see it. I had a coon hound...minds of their own.

Chiflyguy

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but some of these commenters seem to know the rules on how to justify trespassing; not posted correctly, signs need to be a certain distance and so on.
No different than some one squatting in a house you own just because you haven't "lived there" in a couple months.
How about this.
If your name ain't on the deed and you don't have permission from the OWNER, stay the hell out.

Sasquatch Boogie Outdoors

Could be but I've never nor have never known a ginseng hunter to lug around a shotgun. I'm also suspect of the coon hunter idea, most that I know would carry a 22 cal. And probably no more that a side arm when retrieving a lost dog. Just my thoughts….wait…… I've had a premonition…. SNIPE!!! His buddies dropped him off last night to go snipe huntin!!

Latest posts