The end of things …

fairchaser

I've had the good fortune to deer hunt for over 40 years. I can still vividly remember my first hunt and that first buck! But, it's starting to feel like it's winding down.

While I'm getting older, my health is still good, praise God, the situation at Ames is changing for the worse for the deer club especially.

The deer population is very diminished. For me and other members, our average deer sighting is about one for 10 hours on stand. That's are hard pill to swallow. CWD has taken out many of the older bucks and with no antler restrictions, it's open season on anything with horns. To make matters worse, a huge portion of the land has been sold and will be unavailable next season.

I can't see deer hunting anywhere else. It would be difficult to start over, especially knowing CWD is pretty much everywhere within a reasonable drive.

I'm not sure what the silver lining is here. But I know I will continue, Lord willing, to enjoy the outdoors.

double browtine

I know what you mean.
I have killed so many through the years that I've been focusing on getting my kids in the woods. Saturday morning my son called right after he pulled out of the driveway and said dad, there's a nice buck that just ran across the driveway in front of me. He said he was a nice 8 or 10 pt and even with his ears. I did go peak out the window and look for him. I probably could've slipped down behind the house where they cross and caught up with him but I didn't. If my daughter hadn't spent the night at her cousins house I probably would've woke her up and tried to get after him.

Lost Lake

Fairchaser, I can't imagine what it's like hunting practically smack dab in the epicenter. It can't be fun, especially when you remember how good it used to be.

If it was me, I'd try to get out of that area for awhile and hunt elsewhere to clear my head. It might be more work, but maybe try it, and focus on fewer but higher quality hunts. Life is too short to hunt where you're not happy anymore.

I know how it's changed how I hunt, just from simple meat care and transport rules in my county. It changes things. Best of luck with it and don't quit.

Big Pop

Glad that as far as I know we are not in CWD territory yet here in East Tennessee. I too am reaching that age when it's harder to climb those ladders, etc. stands, drag out those larger deer and all the other adventures at deer camp. I hope you make a good decision when the time is right for your exit.

Remington700

I hunt near Ames and have been fortunate that little has changed in our deer hunting situation. We do not see as many big ones as we use to, but I blame that on habitat changes as much as anything. I still love to go hunt, but would rather take my kids and let them shoot more than me. I think some of the drive to hunt dwindles with age and priorities with kids/grandkids.

fairchaser

I hunt near Ames and have been fortunate that little has changed in our deer hunting situation. We do not see as many big ones as we use to, but I blame that on habitat changes as much as anything. I still love to go hunt, but would rather take my kids and let them shoot more than me. I think some of the drive to hunt dwindles with age and priorities with kids/grandkids.
I'd love to find a place to take my grandsons hunting. Maybe it's time to transition to a more kid friendly place.

MUP

I too am feeling the dwindling down feeling buddy. But, I have experienced the "1 deer per 10 hrs hunting" scenario for as long as I've hunted here in East Tn. So that's not so much of an issue for me, it's just that the drive to get out there has diminished , and I do admit that part of it is the mindset of when I go, I may not even see a deer, and then dwell on the time that I could have spent at home with my family. Hope things can somehow turn around for you out there.

JeepKuntry

I promise there are spots other than Ames that could be productive. I can tell a difference in mature bucks on our farm in Grand Junction. We still see deer almost every sit, but mainly 2.5 year old bucks these days.

BSK

fairchaser,

I honestly hope you will look for other hunting opportunities outside of the CWD hot zone. I don't work over that direction, so have no data, but I strongly suspect you don't have to go that far away to get into "normal" herd conditions (an appropriate percent of the buck population being mature).

backyardtndeer

With all that we/I have had go on the past couple years, my drive has definitely dropped off. I have new motivations though with my 12 year old autistic son having growing interest. My granddaughters, 1 and 4, may want to hunt, and I have a grandson on the way. At their gender reveal I was told by my son in law's father several times will be my little hunting buddy. lol

Hope things somehow work out for you to find something better than where you have been.

JJ3

Don't give up yet! But start looking for a lease in Haywood, Tipton or Lauderdale Counties. I hunt Haywood — I know it is a matter of time, but so far the epicenter hasn't reached us and the number of positives is low. I'm hoping that we can hang on another 10 years so that I can take my grandsons hunting. But if we get to the point of a 25 - 30% prevalence rate, I'd move on.

Snake

My desire to go has dwindled down these last several years but I still go a few times . Once I get going I'm still in that mode of excitement it's just that initial push that I have to overcome . My back has alot to do with weather I go or not . I don't scout like I used to but hunt places that I basically know their movement and wind direction determines my stand selection. Beginning to see more deer density here on my property and adjoining property I have permission to hunt . It's nice driving 15-20 minutes versus 3+ hours . Was blessed to be able to get on a lease near my old hunting grounds in middle Tennessee but have yet to set foot on it . My wife's health determines that because that lease is over 200 miles away . I was excited about that lease and couldn't wait to scout it out but life gets in the way of something that is way down on the priority list ...family first ! Had another place that was covered up with deer close to home and hunted it last year some but couldn't get hold of the guy that gave me permission. Started once to go to his house but just kept slipping my mind . Now that I've tagged out on bucks really don't want to shoot a doe so I really just quit going. Did go the other day hoping to see a coyote and seen a few deer but haven't wanted to go anymore . Lord has blessed me this year and the previous years as I've killed hundreds of deer so the glory goes to God ! Sorry for the babbling ...😁

DeerCamp

Wonder if some of this is the current hunting climate. Just seems like hunting means something different than it did when I was a kid.

That, and we just see so few mature bucks that get us excited it's just not the same. Figure if I didn't run cameras might not be as bad.

I've hunted 75% less this season than prior years. Just can't seem to to find that same excitement.

BSK

Wonder if some of this is the current hunting climate. Just seems like hunting means something different than it did when I was a kid.

That, and we just see so few mature bucks that get us excited it's just not the same. Figure if I didn't run cameras might not be as bad.

I've hunted 75% less this season than prior years. Just can't seem to to find that same excitement.
I still have the same drive and excitement to hunt, but what I want out of the experience has certainly changed. Now, it's far more about just having fun and enjoying the experience of "having hunted" than it used to be.

Latest posts