Deer Processing - things you wouldn't think of

lafn96

Want to make a nice deer/game processing station in a corner of my shop. Outside of the basics; what are some little things that you normally wouldn't think of that make a difference convenience wise?

lafn96

There are so many little things that make the job easier, but one piece of advice that I'll give is to set your table/cutting surface height to a comfortable level. Too low, and you're hunched over working and it'll kill your back.

A utility sink nearby for cleanup is sure nice.
Yep, have a nice stainless table, sink, fridge/freezer and basic stuff like a grinder and a slicer. Doing some processing over the weekend, I was thinking it'd be more convenient to have a towel dispenser and a magnetic knife holder above the table; which made me think what else would make things easier?

Lost Lake

Yep, have a nice stainless table, sink, fridge/freezer and basic stuff like a grinder and a slicer. Doing some processing over the weekend, I was thinking it'd be more convenient to have a towel dispenser and a magnetic knife holder above the table; which made me think what else would make things easier?
Yep. Any little thing to organize tools and dispensers makes it handy and keeps your work space open.

philsanchez76

not sure if its possible in your set up, but I made sure to hang my gambrel/pully system in an area where I can still back my truck up under. that way I can attach my gambrel to the deer legs and then just ratchet the deer right out of the truck bed. Save the back whenever possible.

lafn96

not sure if its possible in your set up, but I made sure to hang my gambrel/pully system in an area where I can still back my truck up under. that way I can attach my gambrel to the deer legs and then just ratchet the deer right out of the truck bed. Save the back whenever possible.
Yep; have my gambrel in the barn which is right next to the shop. Can pull my side by side or my truck underneath it.

kaizen leader

Want to make a nice deer/game processing station in a corner of my shop. Outside of the basics; what are some little things that you normally wouldn't think of that make a difference convenience wise

Want to make a nice deer/game processing station in a corner of my shop. Outside of the basics; what are some little things that you normally wouldn't think of that make a difference convenience wise?
Electric hoist, good cutting table, great lighting, and wash tub for basics. After that it's about what you want to make and how you want to pack it.
My 2 cents. Have fun and good luck.

Ski

You'll find your groove. I hang and skin in my shed, then put deboned meat in plastic tubs and butcher in my kitchen while sitting on a comfy stool. I make the cuts and my wife grinds, cubes, vacuum packs, and labels. Takes us an hour two to put an entire deer in the freezer from fur to label meat packs. Of course I get clean up duty.

BigCityBubba

1. Have your hoist high enough on a beam that you don't ever have to bend over. Your back will thank you.
2. Have a your hoist on a very strong beam. I have always wanted to try the golf ball trick but the beam my hoist is on isn't strong enough,
3. Have plenty of table space. I have always wanted a good stainless table with built in sink. Still shopping for a cheap used one.
4. Get some meat tubs.
5. Lots of sharp knives and sharpener.
6. Sawzall you don't mind getting bloody with a long wood or meat blade.

Latest posts