Deer processing?

Lost Lake

I paid 125 last year. Probably a little higher than average but they are close by. Thinking of trying somewhere else this year.
Wow. I'm glad I started doing my own again a few years ago. But, every time I cut one up, I'm reminded of how much work it is. I don't blame a processor for charging what they do.

SSlater

Wow. I'm glad I started doing my own again a few years ago. But, every time I cut one up, I'm reminded of how much work it is. I don't blame a processor for charging what they do.
When I lived in Michigan, you could get a case of beer and 2-3 buddies to do it with you. Wasn't too bad.

Haven't been able to do that here. I've done some myself. It's a cost vs. time thing with me.

During my brief stint in CT, I took one to a guy and paid $70 in probably 2007 or 2008. I stayed while he did it. He was a butcher at a local grocery store and processed deer on the side in his basement. He had all the equipment. It was done in an hour. It was worth the $ just to watch him work.

Last edited:

Omega

Lasy year, Hunters Harvest was $100 for traditional cut (4 roasts, 2 steaked roasts, steaked backstraps, whole loins and the rest in either ground or sausage, will also do 50/50), or $150 for all summer sausage. They offer other services but my friends stick with those two.

timberghost35

Y'all should see Masons in Covington. Last year he was $1 per lb base price. My first buck I killed I ended up paying over $240 for a 195lb deer… They are priced like that cause they can. No one else close does deer anymore… I took my 2nd to Brownsville and had it done… it was $115 out the door.

backyardtndeer

Yep. I spend a lot of time at the kitchen counter trimming, the most time consuming part of the job, but I know it is done how I want it. I am not very efficient, even though I have been doing all of ours for over 20 years.

I couldn't imagine paying $125 a deer, but I know many do, and know some pay way more than that.

Last edited:

Omega

$90 for standard cuts at one location.
$70 for standard cuts at another location but has to be skinned and cleaned.
Ever ask them why no skin? The places I have used for the deer I get for friends requires skin on, due to inspector rules (USDA?), if I take one in skinned I have to pay extra ($25) because they have to bump it to the front of the line. They also offer to field dress them ($40), and cape them out ($30) but I field dress any I drop off.

Heath423

2-Step Enabled
Ever ask them why no skin? The places I have used for the deer I get for friends requires skin on, due to inspector rules (USDA?), if I take one in skinned I have to pay extra ($25) because they have to bump it to the front of the line. They also offer to field dress them ($40), and cape them out ($30) but I field dress any I drop off.
The no skin location is actually a meat market, not just a season deer processor. So yes they have to follow certain USDA guidelines.

Omega

The no skin location is actually a meat market, not just a season deer processor. So yes they have to follow certain USDA guidelines.
Ah, ok that probably means they don't store them, which is why I am told deer at processors have to keep skin on until they begin to process them.

backyardtndeer

The no skin posts remind me of an incident over 25 years ago when I used to take deer to a local processor, cost was $45 for a deer back then. Anyway, I was dropping off a deer, and a black man comes in in a Cadillac with a deer in the trunk. The deer had already been skinned and the entire deer was wrapped in saran wrap. Kind of got a laugh of that.

Latest posts