Weirdest things you’ve seen while hunting

utvolsfan77

I was scouting at Prentice cooper about 25 years ago for archery.
I was about 6 or 8 miles from the check station.
Walked down a grown over logging trail looking for sign and I looked down and found a five dollar bill. Picked it up and put it in my pocket.walked another 60 yards and found. 7 more dollars..
put it in my pocket.Kept walking till I went to inspect an oak flat for feed sign way off down in the woods towards some draws and bluff.
Kept finding loose singles and 5 dollar bills.
I found about 38 or 39 dollars total.
I made it down to to the oak flat and I started hearing an odd sound towards the lowest part of a draw.
I looked out about 60 or 70 yards and saw what looked like a big swarm of bees or yellow jackets close to the ground.
I started to run away and stopped at about 80 yards to observe because it didn't seem that the swarm was after me.
I noticed the swarm didn't act like bees but flies instead.
And then it hit me.
Maybe someone was hiding a body way down in the woods.
I started thinking that maybe someone had gotten killed or something and was dead with flies attracted to the body.
So I was gonna run back to the check station and get a game warden.
But then I thought if it is a body I might not ever see anything like this again in my lifetime so I went to the swarm and sure enough it was green flies, thousands of them.
I found a long limb that had fallen from a small tree and started raking back the leaves that were pulled up and it turned out to be the entire back half of a fawn from the rib cage back.
Pretty spooky at the time.
So that fawn robbed a bank? 🤣

TNRAMBLINGMAN

Well, this is something I heard in Hickman county about 15 years ago. I was on a big powerline with my son. We were just sitting on the ground around sundown watching for deer. A clearcut about 15 years old or less was to our left. So it was heavily forested, but no huge mature trees. For several minutes I heard something moving up the hill, but in the trees (not toward us, just up the hill to our left but clearly moving in the trees). The noise seemed to be about 100 yards away. All that came to my mind, as crazy as it seemed then, is that this is what it would sound like if a monkey were swinging through the trees. I have heard many noises of all kinds in the woods, but that remains to this day the oddest noise I have ever heard, day or night. Could have been a very simple explanation for it, but I can't think of one.

shirtshirt

Well, this is something I heard in Hickman county about 15 years ago. I was on a big powerline with my son. We were just sitting on the ground around sundown watching for deer. A clearcut about 15 years old or less was to our left. So it was heavily forested, but no huge mature trees. For several minutes I heard something moving up the hill, but in the trees (not toward us, just up the hill to our left but clearly moving in the trees). The noise seemed to be about 100 yards away. All that came to my mind, as crazy as it seemed then, is that this is what it would sound like if a monkey were swinging through the trees. I have heard many noises of all kinds in the woods, but that remains to this day the oddest noise I have ever heard, day or night. Could have been a very simple explanation for it, but I can't think of one.
just the rustling of trees or a monkey shrieking? If it was just trees rustling, it was probably a big ole buck making rubs.

Madbowh

I was down in Franklin County hunting watching this hill side and threw half a peanut butter cracker I was done with and about 5 minutes later I felt something on my leg a chipmunk got it and was eating it on my leg he freaked when he realized where he was sitting. Don't know how he got where he did, was right in middle of my thigh on 2 feet wearing that cracker out

tickweed

Maybe not strangest thing I've seen, but strangest that's happened. I was in my early twentys, had a small baby, just getting by, as most of us did. It was the Friday before opening day of Tn. rifle season. I got paid, got off work, cashed my check, ran to a 2000 acre tract I hunted in Hatchie bottom to do a final check on my set up, and do a little more scouting. Earlier in the week, we had a lot of rain in the basin, and the river was on a slow rise. I started walking, probably covered sev. miles in the bottom, just wandering, looking. Came out, got to truck, realized my billfold was missing. I panicked, because this was all we had for the next two weeks, and it would be a major loss for us. About $500.00. Really depressed, I knew this would really set us back. Forward 6 days later, Thanksgiving morning. I slipped into the bottom that morning at daylite. The river was out, knee deep water as far as you could see. I waded and slipped for several hours, seen several deer, no bucks. About 9:00am, I saw a small piece of dry ground the size of a truck hood, water around it as far as you could see. I went over to it, was going to sit down, have a snack, take a break. As I approached it, I looked down in the brown oak leaves, and see a brown wallet. I thought, someone has lost a billfold. Then it hit me! As I picked it up, all the money, everything was in it. It was a really weird feeling. I looked up at the sky and said thank you GOD! what was the odds? That whole flooded bottom, middle of no where, flooded. Every Thanksgiving now, I always remember to say thanks again.

JCDEERMAN

Maybe not strangest thing I've seen, but strangest that's happened. I was in my early twentys, had a small baby, just getting by, as most of us did. It was the Friday before opening day of Tn. rifle season. I got paid, got off work, cashed my check, ran to a 2000 acre tract I hunted in Hatchie bottom to do a final check on my set up, and do a little more scouting. Earlier in the week, we had a lot of rain in the basin, and the river was on a slow rise. I started walking, probably covered sev. miles in the bottom, just wandering, looking. Came out, got to truck, realized my billfold was missing. I panicked, because this was all we had for the next two weeks, and it would be a major loss for us. About $500.00. Really depressed, I knew this would really set us back. Forward 6 days later, Thanksgiving morning. I slipped into the bottom that morning at daylite. The river was out, knee deep water as far as you could see. I waded and slipped for several hours, seen several deer, no bucks. About 9:00am, I saw a small piece of dry ground the size of a truck hood, water around it as far as you could see. I went over to it, was going to sit down, have a snack, take a break. As I approached it, I looked down in the brown oak leaves, and see a brown wallet. I thought, someone has lost a billfold. Then it hit me! As I picked it up, all the money, everything was in it. It was a really weird feeling. I looked up at the sky and said thank you GOD! what was the odds? That whole flooded bottom, middle of no where, flooded. Every Thanksgiving now, I always remember to say thanks again.
That's awesome man. God was definitely looking after you!

DoubleRidge

What an awesome testimony....thanks for sharing.....good stuff!

Lost Lake

Not strange, but funny to me I guess. The thread about going to your stand in the dark reminded me of this.

Back in High School, I had a few regular hunting buddies. One was absolutely terrified of the dark. I mean it was bad. On Opening Day of "Big Gun" as we called it, we headed out to our stands.

We arrived at the place where we split up, and there was a huge Maple tree there. We said the obligatory "good luck", and headed on out.

This property was close to a huge hog farm, and those things would squeal and squall and make all kinds of racket. I joked about them sounding like Werewolves as we walked along in the full moon light.

At about nine o'clock that morning ( because we didn't have patience or good enough clothes to stay later ), I came back to our meeting spot at the big Maple. My friend wasn't there, but I heard a rustle up in the tree.

He'd climbed literally 40 feet up into that tree and sat on limbs all morning, holding his shotgun. Didn't even try to go the 1/4 mile to his stand.

Keep in mind this guy was 6'9" tall and weighed 300 pounds, and none of it fat. If by some slim chance he couldn't have whooped anything that scared him, he could have just used his mass and size and ran over em getting away. It would have killed em.

It probably took him 30 minutes to get down out of that tree, and me laughing so hard I couldn't stand up.

I didn't joke with him about Werewolves during full moons after that.

BSK

Not so much weird, but puzzling. What made these diagonal bedrock cuts in the creek. Man made, Nature, or ET. (video - diagonal bedrock cuts in creek) If man make, Id like to see the machine that does it.View attachment 83519
Pressure. Lots of pressure over a very long time. In fact, you can determine how deeply the rocks were buried underground when the pressure that cracked them occurred. The angle at which the rock breaks changes the deeper the rocks were buried. You can also determine the direction the pressure was applied from by the angle of the breaks.

BSK

When a doe enters estrus, she will temporarily chase her fawn(s) away while she is being bred. This often leaves fawns running around "abandoned" in the woods, looking lost. Twice while still hunting during mid-day, I've had one of these "abandoned" fawns run right up to me, I guess thinking I was their mother. One of them even followed me around like a puppy for half an hour. And I mean touching close.

Omega

I hunted once at a friends place, while walking in to find a place to sit, I came upon a doe, she had been spray painted orange on her side. She didn't approach me, but also didn't run away. She hung around a few minutes, slowly browsing while walking away. I felt she was a "pet" and someone figured most hunters would ignore her is she was marked that way, worked on me.

Tom Collins

Back when I was in high school, I was cat fishing the Duck with my Uncle, we would camp for days and often we would find ourselves tired of each other's company. He had been on my nerves (and being the little 💩 that I was) so when he slipped off to the camp site for a while, I grabbed one of his river shoes and tossed it as far as I possibly could into the current of the Duck. He spend the rest of the day desperately searching for his "lost" shoe lol.

Fast forward to the middle of that night, I cast my pole straight out into the pitch black and let the current settle it to the bottom. I tighten the line and feel tension, so I slowly lift the rod and sure enough something is on the other end! I set the hook and start reeling, I could tell that something was on but wasn't sure what. My uncle grabs the light and net as the my line breaks the water and there on the end is none other than his lost shoe. The hook somehow settled perfectly in the back loop of the shoe. The chances of that happening had to be in the absolute millions. Needless to say, I had some explaining to do.

huvrman

just the rustling of trees or a monkey shrieking? If it was just trees rustling, it was probably a big ole buck making rubs.
Yep, one of the coolest things to hear is a buck thrashing a tree well before daylight.

Latest posts