Food Plots **UPDATE**Holy mackerel! Not planting cereal rye this year!!!

JCDEERMAN

As I've gotten older I've learned the value of "buying local" and supporting local businesses, even if it means paying a little more. So I didn't go "seed shopping" this year. Just paid whatever the local Co-op charged. If anyone is interested, at the Humphreys County Co-op, paid $15.49 per 50 lb bag of VNS Wheat seed and $92.50 per 50 lb bag for Crimson Clover seed. Don't know what the charger will be yet for Buckwheat.
Do you get the coated crimson clover, or raw seed? I went with raw this year because it grew so well last year. You essentially get more seed because it doesn't have the coating.

Then I started reading about the coating acts as the inoculate in new soil. I'm planting in all new ground so I started regretting my decision. Last years plantings were in fields worked for years. Have any experience with that?

BSK

Do you get the coated crimson clover, or raw seed? I went with raw this year because it grew so well last year. You essentially get more seed because it doesn't have the coating.

Then I started reading about the coating acts as the inoculate in new soil. I'm planting in all new ground so I started regretting my decision. Last years plantings were in fields worked for years. Have any experience with that?
Yes, you will get much better germination and growth in a field that has never had Crimson Clover IF you use the pre-inoculated seed. Or you can just inoculate it yourself. A bit more work, but it's not that complicated.

I bought the non-inoculated because I've already grown crimson in these plots before.

JCDEERMAN

Yes, you will get much better germination and growth in a field that has never had Crimson Clover IF you use the pre-inoculated seed. Or you can just inoculate it yourself. A bit more work, but it's not that complicated.

I bought the non-inoculated because I've already grown crimson in these plots before.
Good to know - thanks! Now I need inoculate 🤣

The new fields last year I threw crimson clover on did nothing. I blamed it on the army worms, which was the other half of the problem. Our existing fields did about as well as they have ever done in regards to crimson clover.

DoubleRidge

As I've gotten older I've learned the value of "buying local" and supporting local businesses, even if it means paying a little more. So I didn't go "seed shopping" this year. Just paid whatever the local Co-op charged. If anyone is interested, at the Humphreys County Co-op, paid $15.49 per 50 lb bag of VNS Wheat seed and $92.50 per 50 lb bag for Crimson Clover seed. Don't know what the charge will be yet for Buckwheat.

Totally agree and prefer to buy local. And I don't mind paying a little more for the convenience. But the problem this year is finding what we need local...at Co-op...no cereal rye? none of the wildlife blends they normally carry? No 2½ gallon jugs of glysophate? Not sure what's going on?

tellico4x4

While I was there I heard about that. Someone came in to buy some and they said they can't get the 2 1/2 gal jugs of Cornerstone.
Always buy local & when need any work done that we can't do, I use local hands as well. Sure makes for better relationships.
Bought 10 gal of Gly at CO-OP a couple months ago & it was Eraser AP instead of their normal Cornerstone, still 41% though.

JCDEERMAN

The 2.5 gallon jug of gly I bought from co-op wasn't their signature cornerstone. I think it was called farmworks? I mentioned to them I had never heard of that brand. Nonetheless, it was 41% gly

DoubleRidge

Speaking of cost and availability.... buddy of mine found 2.5 gallon jug of glysophate in Ashland City TSC...and with tax it was $148 out the door....unreal.

DoubleRidge

Thanks for the update. A guy at that same co-op told me it would be early October. I kind wrote that off as he didn't know what he was talking about….but who knows these days?

Update on Cereal Rye....called Waverly and they show its now in stock at the main warehouse...$20 per 50lb.....our order is being shipped to Dickson for us to pick up.....we we're going to be driving to Springfield to pick up our seed this week...very helpful folks there....but co-op is less per pound and we're saving on fuel plus time on the road....glad to get it local.

JCDEERMAN

Update on Cereal Rye....called Waverly and they show its now in stock at the main warehouse...$20 per 50lb.....our order is being shipped to Dickson for us to pick up.....we we're going to be driving to Springfield to pick up our seed this week...very helpful folks there....but co-op is less per pound and we're saving on fuel plus time on the road....glad to get it local.
Awesome - thanks for the update! I'll call the guy in Waverly

BSK

As for Winter Peas....when we were looking for cereal rye we asked The Hogan Seed Company in Springfield and he said they had winter peas for $1 per pound.....and various barasicas were $3 per pound.
You da MAN! Called Hogan Seed and they have Winter Peas. Going up Thursday to pick them up. Talked to Bob Hogan for some time. Fascinating dude. He sure loves seed! They also carry many varieties of Native Warm-Season Grasses and even wildflower seed.

DoubleRidge

You da MAN! Called Hogan Seed and they have Winter Peas. Going up Thursday to pick them up. Talked to Bob Hogan for some time. Fascinating dude. He sure loves seed! They also carry many varieties of Native Warm-Season Grasses and even wildflower seed.

Good deal...glad it worked out on the peas.....we were very impressed by the knowledge and passion the rep we spoke with had....very supportive.

DoubleRidge

Some more recent seed prices from local Co-op in Dickson. Super nice folks. Nice selection of brassicas for those interested in a barasica plot or for creating your own blend:

Purple Top Turnip $3.95 per lb.
Essex Dwarf Rape $18.99 - 10lb bag.
Eco-till Radish $10.99 - 3lb bag.

Also they finally did get a Co-op blend in. Think he said it was called "Lucky 7" and contains: wheat, oats, rape, crimson clover, turnips. $35.99 for 50lb.... little higher than last year's store blend...but then again everything is higher.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Any input on balansa clover ?
Montgomery county coop can get balansa. This year seems high! $117.65 a bag, Crimson at $85 a bag.

I have used it by itself and in a blend. It is simply amazing stuff. The tonnage is crazy. Search on here for posts and see the pictures I posted and comments from mega.
When planting in a blend I would not exceed 1 pound per acre or it will overwhelm everything next spring.

last fall i cover cropped my in ground garden with 1 lb balansa, 25 lbs cereal rye and 25 lbs black oats. plus 40 lbs triple 19 fertilizer. This year i didnt need to fertilize my popcorn, squash, okra or sunflowers.

Today priced purple top turnips at 50 lb $140 and daicon radishes at 50 lb $100 Southern States coop Cadiz, KY and Hopkinsville

Latest posts