Food Plots Winter Rye Questions

348Winchester

Back in mid October I heavily seeded, limed, and fertilized a 3/4 acre plot with mostly winter rye. There was some wheat thrown in that was left over as well but 80% of the seed sewn was rye. The drought delayed sprouting. The lower areas that hold moisture better have sprouted well and there is decent growth. There is still a lot of seed lying on the ground that is sprouting even though it is mid-December.

Have any of you ever fertilized your plots this late?

I have a couple of bags of 33-0-0 that were not spread due to the October drought.

Should I spread it?

yellalinehunter

I fertilized mine this past Thursday. It came up well considering the drought we had. I fertilized more to help give the deer food on into green up in the spring. I wouldn't worry with it being this late into the season to hunt over.

megalomaniac

Go ahead and hit it.

That being said, there is a stage (somewhere around tillering) that the plant is much more susceptible to freeze kill Popcorn would know for sure, but you don't want to fertilize just before that this time of the year if you are growing it for production. But for deer, you don't care if it winter kills in Feb.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Go ahead and hit it.

That being said, there is a stage (somewhere around tillering) that the plant is much more susceptible to freeze kill Popcorn would know for sure, but you don't want to fertilize just before that this time of the year if you are growing it for production. But for deer, you don't care if it winter kills in Feb.
I wouldn't hesitate, especially on a warming trend with a rain coming. The rye will really carry them through winter. It's why it's in our blend, always.
Like said above,
Rye needs to harden before the hard freeze it likes to get to promote tillering but with the weather we are having for the balance of this month I would go ahead and hit it. My biggest concern would be putting that DAP down to generously