Food Plots **UPDATE**Holy mackerel! Not planting cereal rye this year!!!

DoubleRidge

Was going to spray barasica plots with clethodim but had to order it online...TSC and Co-op both out....it will be here next Thursday....so with the forecast I'm going ahead with two cereal rye and crimson clover plots this weekend...then sometime in the next week or so, pending weather, I'll get the other plots planted.

wildlifefarmer

Finished up 4 acres this morning with top sowing crimson radish n buckwheat. Ground was hard as a rock yesterday and after planting oats and peas very dusty. Just hopefully it will RAIN!! Driest year since we owned the farm. Ponds are down over 2ft but none are dry. Let it rain!!

megalomaniac

Agreed, bring on the rain! All my stuff is now planted and limed except for the new 4ac spot.

That spot is gonna need Remedy plus roundup... so won't get.to plant it for another 2 to 3 weeks

BSK

Decent shot at scattered storms Saturday through Monday, but since I just sprayed, I need to wait until no sooner than next Wednesday to start tilling/planting. I'm watching the potential rain next weekend.

JCDEERMAN

Decent shot at scattered storms Saturday through Monday, but since I just sprayed, I need to wait until no sooner than next Wednesday to start tilling/planting. I'm watching the potential rain next weekend.
What did you spray? We did glyphosate today on 23 acres and drilling as soon as (hopefully) it starts raining tomorrow. Spraying a mix of gly and 2,4D hopefully sometime over the weekend for planting sometime in the next 3 weeks

BSK

What did you spray? We did glyphosate today on 23 acres and drilling as soon as (hopefully) it starts raining tomorrow. Spraying a mix of gly and 2,4D hopefully sometime over the weekend for planting sometime in the next 3 weeks
Gly. Want a week for good burn-down. And we're tilling and broadcasting, not drilling. Still trying to break up some of those hard-pack newly bulldozed plots.

JCDEERMAN

Gly. Want a week for good burn-down. And we're tilling and broadcasting, not drilling. Still trying to break up some of those hard-pack newly bulldozed plots.
Gly won't hurt your seed, but I totally get that hard ground. Some of ours are like concrete. If the rain comes and softens the soil, it's "drill baby drill"

BSK

Gly won't hurt your seed..
Yup, but it takes about a week to get a good kill of the existing foxtail grass in the older plots. Foxtail will reseed with all those seed heads being tilled under, but it's nice to restart from ground zero. In addition, I find dead grasses till under much easier than living grasses.

DoubleRidge

Heading out now to plant two of the plots that are ready....we've gotten some good rain this morning with a decent forecast for more to come this week.

JCDEERMAN

Got 9 acres drilled. Came a flood. One of our guys came and got me on the UTV once it started lightning. Waiting for it to pass and got another 7 acres to drill. Will plant clover plots and another blend one of our guys got from Whitetail Institute next weekend. Well, he will. When I'm done drilling, I'm DONE!

DoubleRidge

Heading out now to plant two of the plots that are ready....we've gotten some good rain this morning with a decent forecast for more to come this week.

Got the cereal rye on one of the plots and clipped one of the clover plots... then the bottom fell out... perfect timing. Checked on the other plot that I hoped to sow today but we didn't get a good kill from the previous spraying so I held off.....we've got some more spraying to do before the rest of the seed goes out....plus I need to pick up some more crimson clover this week.

BSK

I'm still waiting to make a planting decision. The Canadian, European and American forecast models all show something completely different for next weekend, spanning the range of no rain to torrential rain. I'll wait until there is some agreement between the 3 models before making a decision.

megalomaniac

The stuff I'm looking at shows basically no significant rain (other than a few random small showers) after the current moisture disturbance which ends Tues all the way through next weekend.

BSK

The stuff I'm looking at shows basically no significant rain (other than a few random small showers) after the current moisture disturbance which ends Tues all the way through next weekend.
That would be based on the U.S. (GFS) model. The Canadian model shows a tropical system moving north out of the Gulf and crossing western/central TN next weekend. The European model is half-way in between the two.

Latest posts