Food Plots **UPDATE**Holy mackerel! Not planting cereal rye this year!!!

JCDEERMAN

Yup, but it takes about a week to get a good kill of the existing foxtail grass in the older plots. Foxtail will reseed with all those seed heads being tilled under, but it's nice to restart from ground zero. In addition, I find dead grasses till under much easier than living grasses.
Gotcha - yea foxtail is a pain

JCDEERMAN

Jcdeerman...
Based on what you got yesterday and its been raining at your place for last 2 hours....you got your rain. Hope it don't bury the seed too deep!
Just saw that on the radar we were getting pounded - pink and purple. I sure hope it doesn't go too deep either!

Swampster

I'm cover cropping my bottom fields this year via aerial application and as of yesterday my price for wheat is $0.15/lb. Obviously I'm doing way more ground than most food plotters so maybe that has something to do with the modest price. Or, maybe it's just lower in ag regions maybe.
The farmer who rents from me does this every fall with some kind of mixture. I love it - much nicer looking in the winter than dead grain stubble, lots of food for wildlife all winter, and beautiful as some of it blooms in the spring. Since it is not part of our contract or anything, I think it shows a lot of respect for my land as well. Some renters never put anything back into the soil.

megalomaniac

The farmer who rents from me does this every fall with some kind of mixture. I love it - much nicer looking in the winter than dead grain stubble, lots of food for wildlife all winter, and beautiful as some of it blooms in the spring. Since it is not part of our contract or anything, I think it shows a lot of respect for my land as well. Some renters never put anything back into the soil.
Depending on the program, farmers can get as much as $40 per acre to plant cover crops from the govt. Good for the soil, good for wildlife, and good for the farmer.

Deer 1

Of what? Cereal rye? If that's the case, higher than last year but not insane.
Yes it was cereal rye at my local coop. Less than I was expecting. Now If It would only rain.
Annual ryes been about $50.
Perennial ryes been about$100

Last edited:

BSK

Yes it was cereal rye at my local coop. Less than I was expecting. Now If It would only rain.
Annual ryes been about $50.
Perennial ryes been about$100
Ouch, those prices hurt!

I'm not optimistic about rain. Still nothing in the 16-day forecast.

DoubleRidge

I'm not optimistic about rain. Still nothing in the 16-day forecast.

I'm doing all I can guys.....In the last two weeks I've mowed the yard....I've washed the truck....heck I even helped a gentleman at church pick up second cutting of square bale hay.....all of these activities normally generate a rain or at least a threat of rain... nope... nothing?

JCDEERMAN

I'm doing all I can guys.....In the last two weeks I've mowed the yard....I've washed the truck....heck I even helped a gentleman at church pick up second cutting of square bale hay.....all of these activities normally generate a rain or at least a threat of rain... nope... nothing?
I'm thinking about getting a monthly membership at the local car wash for unlimited washes. Surely that will do it.

Our plots have surprised me, especially in the shaded areas. However, they are barely hanging on. Something needs to happen quick

BSK

The first picture is what my plots usually look like at this time of year. The second picture is the same plot this year.

Attachments

• plots39.jpg
    plots39.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 38
  • plots38.jpg
    plots38.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 42

Latest posts