Food Plots Winter Rye is Amazing!

348Winchester

My newest plot was carved out of the woods last January. It was planted with buckwheat in May and again in August. The buckwheat struggled but that was expected since the area was just cut out of the forest. The plot was limed and fertilized with both buckwheat crops. In late September the plot was fertilized and limed again. The lime was bagged lime so the total amount called for was reached upon the third application. I did it this way to spread out the expense and hassle of scores of bags. The late summer/autumn drought was brutal as you well know. I seeded the plot three times right before predicted rains that either never came or grossly under performed. There was minimal germination. What little seed that sprouted was in low spots that collected what meager moisture that was available. By mid-November all hope was abandoned. Then there were a few rains over the following weeks. The plot suprisingly began to green up somewhat. There was a couple of bags of seed and fertilizer left over because I gave up on the project so I spread them in mid-December. To my amazement they have sprouted and grown much better than expected. Even after the heavy snow and subsequent deep freeze there is new growth. There are some thin spots and I plan to oversew those with the last bag of rye grain in early or middle March. I also plan to frost seed some clover into it in about three weeks. Winter rye is an absolute workhorse of a crop!

megalomaniac

You can make a dang carpet of the stuff if you are willing to spend the $$$ putting down 200 to 300lbs per acre of the seed!

Not sure if the clover can get a foothold though if you have it that thick.

backyardtndeer

Not sure what kind of rye you planted, but most rye grains do great and will grow well. I am a big fan of Pennington's winter grazer rye. It grows well most anywhere and is great for holding the soil together over the winter, compliments clover very well too.

JCDEERMAN

Cereal rye, wheat and crimson clover really pop in the early spring!
IMG_4583.jpeg

IMG_4582.jpeg

JCDEERMAN

That looks awesome!! Do you mow it after it all seeds out?
Not sure exactly when this pic was taken (probably mid-late April). We drill soybeans straight through all this standing crop. About 1-3 weeks later, we use a roller crimper to terminate all of it and act as a weed mat on top of the soybeans popping through in early-mid may.

70619849449__C0A08AC8-B56C-4F80-B699-F10956A6979B.jpeg

Split Brow

In my opinion, the single best planting for food plots, too many positives about it. Then throw in some type of clover to sweeten it up more!

BSK

I have never been able to get thick stands of crimson. It will do fair but never great for me.
The thickest stand I've ever produced was this year, and I didn't plant it. I simply mowed the previous spring's dead blooms down. They then germinated on their own in mid to late August. The crimson seed heads contain FAR more seed than what planting guidelines recommend. The picture below is one of my plots. I broadcast wheat into the plot in late September.

Attachments

• Crimson1.jpg
    Crimson1.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 12

EastTNboy

The thickest stand I've ever produced was this year, and I didn't plant it. I simply mowed the previous spring's dead blooms down. They then germinated on their own in mid to late August. The crimson seed heads contain FAR more seed than what planting guidelines recommend. The picture below is one of my plots. I broadcast wheat into the plot in late September.
sent you a message

Latest posts