Food Plots Winter peas

buckaroo

They probably like any other pea. I'd soak em over night then in the pot with some smoked hocks,bacon grease,onion,season salt . Let em cook till you ready a d enjoy some down home goodness. That 50lb sack will last you awhile 🤪
Oh and if you have more than you need you can plant em for your fall food plots too!!!!
Haha, so I caan eat them too?

yellalinehunter

I like adding to to a plot mixture. If you just plant them alone the deer will keep them mowed down. Sounds kinda cheap for that quantity. May want to look at the bag tag for the date it was bagged. Might be old, or your guys may have cheaper seed than me. Lol.

348Winchester

They work great in a blend with cereal grains and clover. They are a big seed that needs to be covered with soil and receive a lot of moisture to germinate. Therefore they can lay in the plot for a while before there is enough rain to sprout them. Deer love them!

Ski

I've planted them last several years and they do well. Easy to grow and deer love them. I've not planted anything yet that attracts deer like winter peas do. Peas, crimson clover, and rye are a staple in every plot I plant. I experiment with everything else but those three are static.

BSK

I've used Austrian Winter Peas in my fall plots for years. Extreme deer candy, but only in heavier clay soils. In sandier soils, deer don't prefer them as much.

Winter peas are a good candy to add to a mix, but don't rely on them as a staple. Deer eat them up too quickly.

megalomaniac

I'm not convinced they are worth adding to my blends. I've only used 3lbs per acre for the past few years, but deer aren't picking them out preferentially over the other stuff in my plots. I'll prob leave them out this year and add a bit more clover instead.

BSK

I'm not convinced they are worth adding to my blends. I've only used 3lbs per acre for the past few years, but deer aren't picking them out preferentially over the other stuff in my plots. I'll prob leave them out this year and add a bit more clover instead.
I don't know why, but over on the western Highland Rim, deer go crazy over them. Cross KY Lake into the Coastal Plain soils and deer DON'T go crazy over them. Get down into the MS and AL Coastal Plain sandy soils and deer won't touch them.

Latest posts