Food Plots Oats and winter wheat

Split Brow

If your in sw Virginia, Country Boy seed company is great, they have everything. That's where I get mine clover, rye, turnips and radishes.

BSK

Does your state have a farmer's Co-op system? I buy all my seed from the Tennessee Farmers' Co-ops (usually, there's one in every county).

BSK

I'm a big Crimson Clover fan. And as for wheat versus oats, either mix them, or plant half a field in oats and half in wheat and see which the deer prefer. I've seen it go both ways. The biggest downside to me is oats require a little better soil than wheat, and I've seen generic oats get frozen out in winter. Although they do sell winter-hardy oats that can take colder temps.

rem270

I just ordered the buck forage oats from Seed World USA for $34.95 per 50 lbs. I planted them last year and they did great. Found some at Rural King after I had planted last year so have 2 bags for this year already but ended up ordered 4 more earlier today. I know I'll at least need 3 bags for this year and will have an extra if needed. With shipping it brought the total to $56 a bag but I was more than willing to pay that since I can't find any local.

Ski

I just ordered the buck forage oats from Seed World USA for $34.95 per 50 lbs. I planted them last year and they did great. Found some at Rural King after I had planted last year so have 2 bags for this year already but ended up ordered 4 more earlier today. I know I'll at least need 3 bags for this year and will have an extra if needed. With shipping it brought the total to $56 a bag but I was more than willing to pay that since I can't find any local.

Do you find the buck forage oats to be as attractive and lasting as Dr. Kroll pumps them up to be? Or are they just oats? I've been meaning to try them largely because of how he advertises, but like you I have a hard time finding them locally.

JCDEERMAN

Do you find the buck forage oats to be as attractive and lasting as Dr. Kroll pumps them up to be? Or are they just oats? I've been meaning to try them largely because of how he advertises, but like you I have a hard time finding them locally.
Years ago I did an experiment with BFO and regular oats from coop. 1/2 the field was in each with a dividing line. Camera was set there. I couldn't tell a difference in preference whatsoever. All herds are different, but that was the conclusion I came to.

Ski

Years ago I did an experiment with BFO and regular oats from coop. 1/2 the field was in each with a dividing line. Camera was set there. I couldn't tell a difference in preference whatsoever. All herds are different, but that was the conclusion I came to.

Thank you! That's exactly what I was wondering. I can get oats from my co op.

DoubleRidge

Interesting to experiment with side by side comparisons.....similar experiment I saw online with oats was where a guy planted half the plot in feed oats and half in seed oats. Monitored with cameras set to video. Some days it seemed they used one side more than the other....but overall they used both....one thing was that the germination rate was a little better on the seed oat vs feed oat...and some warn against never using feed seed for the risk of introducing a weed seed that you may currently not have.....anyway, little off topic but along the same lines...interesting.

rem270

Well to be honest these are the only oats I've ever planted and that was just last year. I didn't even know Dr. Kroll advertised them lol. But I will say it's the best food plot I've ever had and the deer hammered them from Sept until April. I triple seeded and they came up thick and it's the best food plot I've ever had. Now, where I planted had been previously in row crop for probably 100 years so maybe there was good soil there from that to help with the plot.

Latest posts