Food Plots Thoughts on durana white clover, wheat, oats

grandjunctionhunter

Thinking about trying to plant as a mix....~30# oat/30# wheat/ 5# clover per acre...any suggestions? Not sure about what type of fertilizer since the clover doesn't need nitrogen, 0-20-20? or just do the 13-13-13?

Understanding the wheat/oats will be broadcast first and slightly deeper.

Ski

I bought 5lbs of Durana to try this year. Not expecting much but I have one plot that it would be perfect for if it works out. High up surrounded by big chestnut oaks and facing due south. It gets pounded all day long with sun. On wet years it's my best plot. But years like this it is STRUGGLING.

Boll Weevil

Search "durana" here...all kinds of discussion over the years and the mix you mention is fine. This is durana and w. wheat w/one section only wheat and the other clover + wheat for nurse crop.

More expensive; yes. But it's extremely drought tolerant, will go dormant then bounce back after rains/cooler weather, and lasts for years. I got 7 yrs out of this spot.

1694551272006.png

megalomaniac

Durana is an awesome clover. But if the plot location is not a dry site, I would use a cheaper clover. And again, do you want a perennial clover? Is this a plot you will not be turning again next year?
Exactly... if this is a plot you are going to completely replant next fall, don't waste $$$ on Durana, go with crimson instead. IF you are hoping for a perennial stand as a clover plot for next fall you don't replant, Durana is a great option.

grandjunctionhunter

My goal was to take the pressure off the clover in year one while still attracting deer. In hopes that next year we could just cut/spray the fields we mixed in the Durana. Historically, the deer have hammered the clover (not Durana) in Nov and early Dec so my goal was just to do a little extra this year in hope next years planting would be easier but still allowing plenty of nutrition/attractants for deer/turkeys.

Any recommendations on the fertilizer. Historically with wheat and oats we'd do 13-13-13 but sounds like that's not ideal when doing the durana. Curious if another option would work better or if the clover will provide enough nitrogen for the wheat and oats.

AlabamaSwamper

I switched to Durana this year. I've had good luck out of the Advantage Ladino but decided to test Durana in a big plot next to Ladino. Also put my old clover plots back in after planting corn in them. My ladino plots have been good but really struggle with heat and drought although they bounce back quick usually.

All ridge top plots do too much moisture isn't going to be an issue.

Latest posts