Food Plots Thoughts on wheat

DoubleRidge

I have 2 acres of good standing winter wheat, would it be a good idea to let it mature into May, spread buckwheat , then mow?
One year we did something similar....but we sprayed the plot then came back and broadcast buckwheat into standing dead vegetation...dead thatch laid down and buckwheat came up good.
But throw and mow will work as well.

BSK

One year we did something similar....but we sprayed the plot then came back and broadcast buckwheat into standing dead vegetation...dead thatch laid down and buckwheat came up good.
But throw and mow will work as well.
I would definitely spray right after mowing. The wheat may all be dead, but the first forbs and grasses will be coming up underneath. I made the mistake last year of not spraying what appeared to be "dead" crimson clover and wheat after spreading seed and mowing. The already germinated weeds and grasses grew faster than the seed I had broadcast could germinate. This year I won't make that mistake again.

gtk

Staff member
I have 2 acres of good standing winter wheat, would it be a good idea to let it mature into May, spread buckwheat , then mow?
One of my best food plots I ever had was done similar. I planted winter wheat one fall , then pretty much ignored it all summer. It was thick enough to keep the weeds "in check". Come Sept I cut it down, disked it back up, then planted clover & fertilized with 0-20-20.

The wheat sprouted back up quickly, and I believe it helped "shade" the clover, and hte clover did great as well. That plot actually lasted several seasons. For several years after that, i would just mow, fertilize, repeat. The wheat came back less & less each year, but the clover thrived.