TWRA meeting today

TheLBLman

That's all it takes to find an outbreak. No reason to waste a bunch of money testing for something that isn't there.
Very true.
What's more, there was no evidence of CWD in any adjoining states to TN.
So TWRA was actually ahead of the curve on CWD testing in the Southeast.

Once any evidence suggests greater odds of CWD being present,
testing is increased (as it was).

Wildcat#32

TWRA likely received $20 tops out of that amount. And, the officer likely had a minimum of 2-3 hours tied up in the process. They don't make a heck of a lot in salary, but, that wouldn't have even paid their hourly time.

And, it doesn't matter if they go to court or not.
exactly what does "2-3 hours tied up" have anything to do with this?? its his JOB!!! im sorry but kindergarten was a long time ago for me!!! If all you can do is call me names iv lost all respect for you!!!! Again we the people/hunters are paying his salary!!!!!

mike243

Folks think TWRA write tickets and get a boat load of $$ , scn was trying to point out that the $ they receive is very little of what's collected, he never stated it wasn't worth the officers time to write the ticket. Folks want to get all bent out of shape for no good reason. They have a job to do and folks make it harder, everybody think they are a lawyer and know the law lol.

TboneD

Alot of people think they can do the TWRA's job better than them.
Maybe so but a lot of folks just want to hold them and the commission's feet to the fire when it comes to the wildlife and public lands they are entrusted to steward. Nothing against the present commissioners but the body in the past has made decisions out of purely political motivations and TWRA's budget comes mainly from license sales as opposed to other states with income taxes. So I'm fairly convinced this is why they take such a liberal approach when it comes to seasons and limits compared to other states. I'm not saying the system is broken and needs to be replaced. And I'm not saying I don't appreciate a lot of things they have done. For instance, I'm all for the 2 buck limit statewide. However, I can't understand why we're not gonna stick with a 2 tom limit statewide or why it's legal to kill 3 does a day on so much public ground. I wonder if the former has ANYTHING to do with the possibility of collecting more TWRA revenue from a hunter that has to hunt a different area of the state for his third Tom. As for the latter I have no idea and don't know of any other state that would send such a message outside of CWD zones.

TboneD

How would TWRA get more $ by making folks travel for another bird? I have had to head west for a lot of years in order to hunt more than 1 buck or to shoot a doe, they never charged me xtra to do so, that was my choice to spend gas $$
How many folks have different private turkey properties they can hunt across the state? If a man hunts his own farm he doesn't even need a license and if it's private property you don't need a WMA permit. I was just saying that if one has to travel for the third bird there's a good chance TWRA might get more revenue, but of course the main reason for the change is most likely all the folks complaining about loss of opportunity.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Almost all of the officers I have met in the field were great guys, and it has always been a decent experience. My problem is with the Wildlife Commission, the politics involved to get appointed there, and, at least for some members, their seeming lack of knowledge of what the state's sportsmen want. They seem to have little desire for balancing what the sportsmen want with the best interest of the wildlife, and tend to want to go in directions that benefit their own desires/wants instead. Not saying all of them do, but that is my take on a fair number of them.

Snake

And that's in a year, not a day.

The 1st year my primary deer hunting county became Unit L,
one afternoon I killed 3 big ole does.

No desire to ever kill 3 doe again in a single day.
Too much work.

What's behind the 3 a day doe limit
is mostly psychological, simply letting hunters know it's "OK"
to kill a doe, even 3 in a day if you want.

Most TN deer hunters do not even kill a single doe in an entire season,
even in Unit L, where the limit is 3 a day.
I agree wholeheartedly with the three doe a day deal . Did it a few times but like you said it's just too much work . I was actually full filling an obligation to some people for deer. Then they got to where " you didn't clean it for me " ? Uhh no I just drove 200 miles !! It got to be a hassle as I don't know the HFH was implemented then or I just hadn't heard about it but I got over the numbers game.

Last edited:

Latest posts