TWRA Targeted Removal

Omega

Just received a letter from TWRA, seems my land in Hardeman county qualifies for the Targeted Removal Program. It says I, or my agent, can remove some deer outside of deer season, they just need to be submitted for testing. Is this the first year or has this been going on since CWD was first found?

Edit: Seems that you don't have to submit them for testing if in Hardeman or Fayette counties.
These permits are issued by County Wildlife Officers directly to landowners or their designated agents to allow the removal of deer on their property outside of deer season for the purpose of CWD management. This program is available only in Fayette and Hardeman counties OR on properties that are within a 3-mile radius of a TWRA-confirmed CWD-positive location. If the property lies within a county other than Fayette or Hardeman county, the property owner must submit all deer harvested on the property to TWRA for CWD testing. If you own land in Chester, Fayette, Gibson, Hardeman, Haywood, Henry, Lake, Lauderdale, Madison, McNairy, Obion, Shelby, Tipton, or Weakley county and are interested in Landowner CWD Management permits, please contact your County Wildlife Officer or the Region 1 TWRA office at 731-423-5725 or [email protected].

TWRA provides CWD testing services for deer removed as a part of this program in all counties except for Fayette and Hardeman. If desired, landowners in Fayette and Hardeman counties can work directly with diagnostic laboratories that accept public testing requests.

Last edited:

Boll Weevil

Another CWD non-starter by TWRA…no one is gonna do this. At least to any meaningful degree. A 3 month season, 3 does a day, earn a buck, and now this. If we aren't interested in killing more deer with the current regs what makes TWRA think we'll be interested with even broader opportunity?

redblood

Another CWD non-starter by TWRA…no one is gonna do this. At least to any meaningful degree. A 3 month season, 3 does a day, earn a buck, and now this. If we aren't interested in killing more deer with the current regs what makes TWRA think we'll be interested with even broader opportunity?
Agree 100 percent. After a long season of being able
To kill antlerless deer in unlimited numbers, no one is going to want to hunt pregnant does and shed bucks. TWRA has lost their edge!

killingtime 41

sounds like a scorched earth plan to me. Ok so answer me this. If we are to believe the prions are in the soil. Then even if you killed every deer then wouldn't CWD still be around in the soil. And if you say yes but they'll be less deer to carry the disease across the state. But my other point is outside of bucks in the rut. Doe groups don't normally travel 10 plus miles and back. But you have to kill a doe to get a buck tag. Not to mention all the other animals that do travel great distances. They are still plentiful alive and well. Cause they ain't hunted much if any. Just an uneducated thought.

mike243

So all the other states that have it what steps have they taken that's different from twra, from what I have read about the only thing they can do at this time is thin the herd to slow the spread, all these Dr's on here with the answers need to step up with a plan,

Latest posts