MO Starts CWD Targeted Deer Removal 1/16

mike243

Looks like bow hunting only? reckon this late in the season that's the best way to keep harvest numbers down. They must not be serious about knocking the numbers down.

DoubleRidge

Some different verbiage in Missouri's plan. Comments like "goals met" and "exit plan" Looks like if there are no positives detected in the mile radius of the previous positive then they stop...collecting more samples to measure where they are then adjusting or exiting area.

Last edited:

DoubleRidge

Looks like bow hunting only? reckon this late in the season that's the best way to keep harvest numbers down. They must not be serious about knocking the numbers down.
Dont believe its archery only? Believe the process starts after the late archery season closes...and the article mentions that if landowners dont want to participate then the agency will come shoot deer...and you can bet the agency isnt bow hunting.

mike243

No mention of guns but it states bow? are you reading guns there? maybe it's a subdivision setting? maybe my reading comprehension sucks more than normal. maybe they got more bow skills than we do here

DoubleRidge

No mention of guns but it states bow? are you reading guns there? maybe it's a subdivision setting? maybe my reading comprehension sucks more than normal. maybe they got more bow skills than we do here
No...it doesnt say gun...just says "archery season Ends January 15...then the cwd management program Begins"...so no, I'm not "reading gun" nor am I reading "subdivision setting" but I guess anything is possible?

backyardtndeer

maybe my reading comprehension sucks more than normal. maybe they got more bow skills than we do here
I watched the clip, no there was no mention of use of guns, but would assume that they let those landowners and hunters know what's legal. The clip, they said they will run their targeted killings for 2 months after season, their season closes January 15, the cwd target season opens in the 16th. What the woman said made good sense. Hope their plan works better for them than our states plan has worked.

mike243

I'm not sure it matters if you shoot deer after the season vs during season as it works ok the same in the end imo

DoubleRidge

Another observation from the article....couple of statements that got my attention and you read them both in relation to CWD quite often:

"so the goal of the program is to maintain a healthy deer population"

ok...I think we all agree that we want a healthy deer population...but at what cost? Eradicate now....to have a healthy herd in the future....maybe? But a dead herd is not a healthy herd?

Then the next statement is:

"while scientists work to develop a cure".

Interesting....but what could a cure possibly look like? And how would it be administered? Would the soil be treated? Medicated bait stations? Or? Cant imagine an effective way to administer anything to a wide spread wild herd?

I know this dead horse gets beat down every few days....but theres allot of emotion that surrounds the eradication efforts...and the fact that the practice may be worse than CWD itself ....and it could even slow the process of any natural immunity developing?....But I guess time will tell.

ROB

I'm not sure it matters if you shoot deer after the season vs during season as it works ok the same in the end imo
If the plan is to harvest primarily does, it can make a significant difference when they are harvested, with an earlier harvest being overall more beneficial, because:
1. Early in the fall, button bucks are more likely to be significantly smaller than their moms, so harvesting only big does will make harvesting a button less likely,
2, Harvesting does early leaves more mast for the survivors. This can be significant in areas where mast is the major form of nutrition in the late fall/early winter.
3, Harvesting does early leads to a much more favorable Buck/doe ration pre-rut, making for a stronger & more visible rut.
4. Allowing does to be harvested early takes advantage of the enthusiasm of some hunters to hunt deer, an advantage you don't have late in the season.
5. Allowing does to be harvested early can spread out the demand for deer processing. Otherwise, the glut is during modern firearm season in Late November. This can also be better for Hunters for the Hungry, as most of the HTFH deer currently come into the processors at the same time as the processor's money deer.

Ski

I'll hold off any criticism until I see how it works out for them. Hopefully they keep an open mind and work closely with their license holders. Nobody knows how to handle CWD yet and it's nice to see other states developing plans to experiment with different approaches. It would behoove MO to take a close look at other states' plans to see what's already being tried and what results they're getting. No reason for every state to try the same stuff. If everybody tries something different it will increase the odds somebody will find an effective approach.

rem270

Kentucky has their public meeting Thursday night about the next step since finding cwd in a neighboring county to the 5 high risk counties. I plan to attend to be able to hear first hand. I'm hopeful they won't get stupid like TN did.

Just baffles my mind that this was the last year of doing cwd checks in the 5 counties that were high risk and then all the sudden one is found in a neighboring county. I'm not a conspiracy theorist in the least bit but I know some who are and they called it to a T that it would just so happen to be found this year.

mike243

So what states are doing something different than Tn? there's a bunch of other states that's had it for a long time. It's easy to set back and tell somebody they are doing it wrong but fact is the higher the #'s the higher the infection rate is, That in turn will cause it to spread faster. it wont ever be stopped imo but slowing it down is about all they can do in case something is found to help.

Lost Lake

Dont believe its archery only? Believe the process starts after the late archery season closes...and the article mentions that if landowners dont want to participate then the agency will come shoot deer...and you can bet the agency isnt bow hunting.
My question is, will they just trespass on a person's land, day or night, and shoot? We know they probably will, but that ain't gonna sit well with some Missouri boys I'll bet.

DoubleRidge

My question is, will they just trespass on a person's land, day or night, and shoot? We know they probably will, but that ain't gonna sit well with some Missouri boys I'll bet.
Nothing would surprise me these days...but in this case I dont believe they would tresspass....the way it reads is you contact them:

"If you received a letter from the conservation department saying that you live in a CWD Core Area, you can shoot deer on your property during this two-month span.

If you don't feel comfortable shooting the deer yourself, you can contact MDC and they'll come and shoot the deer".

But I guess you could ask...what if I dont want to shoot deer after season...and I dont want the state to....then what happens? Probably nothing? But again, who knows these days?

I know I personally have zero interest in any eradication or sample collecting team coming on our property...if they need a deer for a random sample I'd rather be the one taking the deer...not to get to far off topic but I have zero interest in participating in the edradication of our local deer herd and the neighbors I've spoke with have no interest either.

Latest posts