Travel Time to hunt

artwork001

I try to avoid thinking about how much I spend or have spent over the years. By the pound very expensive meat lol. I am going out of state this year to take my grandson on his first Turkey hunt for Osceola turkey in south Florida. He's 10 and that was his birthday request. Cant price that one out. Normally I'm within an hour of the house and I use my boat to get to some spots ,so that's a little extra fuel.

Willysman

Hunt a farm about 3 miles from home. Also hunt the South Cherokee and Catoosa. SC about 50 miles, Catoosa 60 miles from home. Don't keep up with the money spent because any money spent hunting is well spent. But I know I'll have to dig deeper this year because of Uncle Joe.

Terrier

I used to drive an hour and fifteen minutes to hunt at a buddy's place, and I'd go up there 20-30 times per year... did that for about 13-14 years, then had the opportunity to buy it a while back. Now it's a short walk from my recliner to the gun rest on the laundry room window sill. :) Maintaining a property can be a lot of work and takes a lot of time that cuts into hunting time, so sometimes it's a trade off. It would be a lot easier if there wasn't this evil necessity called a "job." :rolleyes:

More often than not, I'll do the self-serve butchering. Depends on time available, and if the shot happened on a Saturday or a Sunday.

I'm gonna make the effort to actually get out in the woods this next season and spend some quality time in a tree... Commute time of about five minutes walking to a stand.

Regarding $, I'd have to start adding up the mortgage payments for the 3 BR / 2 Bath shooting house... Priceless, maybe? Godallmighty, I love it there...

Stalkhunter

I travel an hour and half one way to hunt and then stay at camp for the weekend. Travel time from camp is 15 minutes to one spot and 10 minutes to other spot. This season going back home to NY to hunt again. Been 6 years since I hunted home.

41Magnum

Anywhere from 20 min. to an hour drive,depends on where I'm going to hunt that day. If it's up on the mountain it's an hour drive and a 30 min to an hour walk, depends which stand/blind I hunt. National Forest land. We usually put in for Catoosa every year don't always go if we get drawn, just depends on the weather. Going to Wyoming this year for antelope if we get a tag.

JCDEERMAN

Our cabin is on our hunting property and it's exactly an hour away from my house. That's where I do 95% of my hunting. Also on a couple leases in Jackson county and that's about 2 hours from my house. There is also a cabin on that property (FIL's). Can either walk out the door on that property, drive 10 minutes to another property, or drive 30 minutes to another property.

gary66

I'll answer but you have to promise my wife will not be able to read this!
lol... I stopped counting the cost long ago...neither one of us know. I figure as long as I bring something home she will never question it. Seems wives start thinking things when men go and have nothing to show for it...

gary66

used to hunt in Va. with baby brother. southern Ohio is as far as I go now, I'm in the flat part of N.W. Ohio, farm country... about 4-5 hours away.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Define "travel time." 10-30 minutes to the boat ramp and unloaded (depends on which boat ramp that day), then 5-25 minutes by boat and unloaded, then 5-30 minutes hike in.

Only done 2 western hunts. Tags are cheaper than most annual leases. DIY only costs for gas and lodging, but I plan to camp next year, so that will save on lodging.

Lots of guys spend far more on leasing, food plots, and ATVs every year than I ever will on a DIY western hunt. It doesn't have to be expensive

Grnwing

I spend way too much time driving to and from spots. Sept thru Feb will be weekend trips to Arkansas(300 miles round trip). October is 10 day trip to ND, and usually another 10 day UT or ID hunt. November is pretty much TN/AR, unless traveling over Thanksgiving and that'd be WI, Fl, or MS. December is usually wrapping up TN and then finish out January and February back in Arkansas. During duck season, I ll put on 10k miles and then another 10k for the remaining hunting season. As far as cost, license fees this year around 1500. I really wish there was a way to add another October on the calendar! I try to at least take a week off every month from Oct- Jan to hunt somewhere.

It takes me about an hour and a half to get to my property in Grundy Co. out of state license get me for around $300. Kills me paying out of state when I own the land. However, rather pay that then have to put up with anyone else. Taxes on my 200 acres are around $250 a year, so they and what I put into my plots are about it.

TNRAMBLINGMAN

About 70 minutes to lease in middle TN. About 85 minutes or so to Kentucky. 1400 miles one way to AZ last year for elk hunt. Some years ago I went to CO twice, once for elk and once for deer. Have driven to Canada by myself years ago to hunt deer. About 1700 miles. Don't mind driving. Although if one is not careful you can use up a lot of the very few day in November on the road running from spot to spot.

redblood

I try to avoid thinking about how much I spend or have spent over the years. By the pound very expensive meat lol. I am going out of state this year to take my grandson on his first Turkey hunt for Osceola turkey in south Florida. He's 10 and that was his birthday request. Cant price that one out. Normally I'm within an hour of the house and I use my boat to get to some spots ,so that's a little extra fuel.
I hope yall have a great hunt!

Latest posts