How to hunt Cocke County

gpn22mcguire

I'll be hunting near Cosby in Cocke county the week before thanksgiving with a buddy I was stationed with.

The majority of my hunting has been rolling hills, ag fields, and swamps in south GA.

This property is pretty steep compared to what I'm used to. Runs between 2 ridges with a small valley and creek.

Any techniques or tips would be helpful.

I was there last year at the same time and saw 2 doe. Not what I'm used to for sure.

Thanks

Sasquatch Boogie Outdoors

things to focus on.:
Ridge saddles, they will often travel through those especially in steep terrain,
Thickets, the nastier the better, they'll head there to bed and check for the ladies.
Food, if there are fields near by then get between it and bedding cover. I'm no great hunter but that's what I'd do. I hunt similar terrain in Hawkins co. Be proud of any deer you take from the upper east end.

DeerCamp

How effective are food plots in the mountains?

My buddy just bought a farm in the Ozark mountains in Arkansas. I went over and helped him map out the property. I believe the food plots will be very effective there with so little ag around.

MidTnBuck

I was born and raised hunting the mountains in Cosby. Parents still live there on our family land. It's steep as a horses face and a man could see and shoot 10 bears before he ever saw a deer in most parts. Depends on what section of Cosby y'all are huntin to be honest, if your close to English mountain the hunting is a little better but still tough. If your hunting closer to my side which is the Hartford area its rough and higher elevations, LOTS of territory with the NF bordering most sections of private land in that area. Pittman Center side of Cosby is similar to Hartford side but lots of National Park land.

Most people say hunt acorn's but we have so many mature oak trees it would take you the entire trip to find the "Hot" tree. If it were me I'd hunt where the top of the valley meets the ridges or wherever the creek water gets the skinniest. There is no good way to hunt the wind in this type of territory but a general rule of thumb for us was hunt up in the morning but below the laurel thickets.

It will be rifle season so I honestly wouldn't fool with luggin a treestand all over if you're in the PC or Hartford area. Most of the boys that hunt at home still hunt that time of year. Generally Thanksgiving is a good time to be in the mountain and if you see a buck it's liable to be a good one. If you need anymore info or someone to help y'all get one outta there shoot me a PM.

DDD

I'll be hunting near Cosby in Cocke county the week before thanksgiving with a buddy I was stationed with.

The majority of my hunting has been rolling hills, ag fields, and swamps in south GA.

This property is pretty steep compared to what I'm used to. Runs between 2 ridges with a small valley and creek.

Any techniques or tips would be helpful.

I was there last year at the same time and saw 2 doe. Not what I'm used to for sure.

Thanks
Hunt the sides of the ridges, not the top. Hunt south and west facing slopes where there should be a lot of oaks. If you can find a place where there is a change in the slope where a narrow contour is less steep than the rest of the ground, that is a good thing. Sit above it, not on it. Put that together with a point where 2 or 3 ridges connect to one spot. Hunt off the ground.

puppy

Who is your buddy, I am a lifelong resident of Cocke Co and live close to Hwy 321 near the Lowes. I killed my first deer in 1984 in CNF in Cocke Co and still get humbled more times than I am able to drag one out.

Huntaholic

Road hunt. 2 way radios, cell phones for back up. LOL
Or invest in night vision equipment! Planking swears up and down the law wont do anything about people running around using night vision stuff!

Shanman

Rough terrain but some beautiful mountains. I would personally focus on the leeward side of those steep hills and if you can find intersecting fingers that would be great too. If you find scrapes and rubs on top, slide down the leeward side 75-100yds…… they'll be scent checking those tops.

Latest posts