Favorite Time to hunt

If you could only pick one, which would be your favorite time period to hunt in Tennessee

• Archery Season

Votes: 10 11.4%
  • Muzzleloader Season

Votes: 51 58.0%
  • Rifle Season

Votes: 27 30.7%

• Total voters

BSK

Very interesting for sure. I need to look back at our pics - I'm sure they tell the same story.

If I could chalk up my biggest failure this year, it would be focused on a delayed rut timing, rather than it being at the traditional time. Now, how would we know that at the time, we wouldn't. Even years with droughts and few acorns, most everything is at traditional timing. But these once-in-a-decade events most definitely won't sneak up on me again. Granted, we saw no range shift of older deer, for whatever the case may be, so I can't say the season would have been fruitful, but may have had better odds focusing on a slightly different timeframe
I agree completely. I should have seen it coming. Bu the last time we had these conditions (2007), we also had a massive EHD die-off. I thought the delayed rut in 2007 was due to so many deer having been sick in August and September. Well, it appears part of the problem was the drought and complete acorn failure (as proven by this year). Next time this happens, I won't be caught flat-footed. Let's hope it's another 15 years before we have another year like this year.

BSK

It's so strange how different rut activity is across the state of TN. I have hunted basically the Cumberland Plateau area for 40 years. I have never seen a mature buck on his feet in December that I can remember. The last few years, I have just given up on hunting December, unless I have a doe tag I want to fill. My buck sightings plummet when the page turns from November to December. I've tried every kind of strategy I know of to get on bucks in December. My trail cameras never even show any. Now, if you have a really good food source, I start seeing some on camera in late January on. I've never really seen any signs of a second rut around here in my life. I know others in my area probably have. But, I've just never seen much of any activity in December, outside of does feeding.
In the past, exact same thing on my place. Almost zero mature bucks on camera after the 1st week of December. And those middle-aged bucks that hung around post-rut (and it wouldn't be many) were like ghosts, totally nocturnal. December hunting was hardly worth the effort.

However, ever since we made massive changes to our habitat (heavily cut the timber off 1/5 of the property), things have changed. It may have been JCDEERMAN who predicted I would see more daylight activity longer into the season that I used to see once we had a lot of the property in cover. This has been a fact! Even before this weird year, since we cut the timber, we're holding mature bucks longer, and all age bucks are more active in daylight post-rut.

DMD

In the past, exact same thing on my place. Almost zero mature bucks on camera after the 1st week of December. And those middle-aged bucks that hung around post-rut (and it wouldn't be many) were like ghosts, totally nocturnal. December hunting was hardly worth the effort.

However, ever since we made massive changes to our habitat (heavily cut the timber off 1/5 of the property), things have changed. It may have been JCDEERMAN who predicted I would see more daylight activity longer into the season that I used to see once we had a lot of the property in cover. This has been a fact! Even before this weird year, since we cut the timber, we're holding mature bucks longer, and all age bucks are more active in daylight post-rut.
That is fantastic. I always figured a big part of my problem with the lack of December sightings is habitat. Just a large tract of timber. A couple of really small fields. I wish I could cut some timber. That is great info. Thanks BSK.

redblood

my favorite time to be in the woods is mid to late october- tolerable temps, fallen acorns and beautiful foliage.

early to mid november is probably the time i am most likely to have the opportunity to kill a big buck, but the killing is secondary to me now. Im just fine to zap a fat doe under golden foliage on a crisp clear 45 degree morning.

I killed my buck this yr on November 17th I believe, it was so cold i had to shoot him with a muzzleloader because i didnt think my frozen hand would work well enough to use my bow. fun hunt, but not a pleasant one

TJS209

Thanksgiving week. Think this is totally dependent on your location in relation to r
Pre rut timings and the weapon used during this time frame.

BSK

I killed my buck this yr on November 17th I believe, it was so cold i had to shoot him with a muzzleloader because i didnt think my frozen hand would work well enough to use my bow. fun hunt, but not a pleasant one
This year, on my place November 17 was the best day of the season for buck movement.

Snake

I chose muzzleloader simply because deer later on in the year have become somewhat nocturnal. I used to like first couple weeks in December while hunting Giles Co and Lincoln but your sightings are less than in November given decent hunting weather. Basically only time you'll see a decent buck is during the rut after a doe in esterous.

redblood

Heres the pics

Attachments

• 18C36CD2-88CC-4F5D-A142-647CDF240CF9.png
    18C36CD2-88CC-4F5D-A142-647CDF240CF9.png
    171 KB · Views: 45
  • 600F21A7-0712-4D72-A03E-AF65A2F72305.jpeg
    600F21A7-0712-4D72-A03E-AF65A2F72305.jpeg
    316.8 KB · Views: 38

BSK

Hes thin and limping now but still
Breathing. Hes one i will be excited to see on cameras in late july
What is it with all the bucks limping? Maybe I never noticed it before because I wasn't running video trail cameras. But it's shocking how many bucks I have on video cam this year and last that are limping.

Latest posts