Time

MUP

This season, unlike the many others, and especially on my last hunt of the season yesterday, prompted me to think of something I've rarely let cross my mind thru the years, but as I forced my tired hind end to get out there that last time this year, I wondered, and dwelled on the thought that this could be the last hunt for me. I've read some other posts about this this year even, but it settled on me while I was in the stand Saturday. Beautiful, cloudy, and drizzly day for a hunt, but with all it took for me to actually make myself go, I had to wonder. Health issues are creeping up on me and starting to affect my free time with Dr visits and planning for Dr visits, and calling them to ask them to redo their error in scheduling at the wrong facility etc, but I digress, time is becoming a more limiting factor, as well as just trying to feel like going. Anyone else feeling the effects of time and getting older?

Wiley

Steve, you've read my posts about this very thing and I'm out here this morning. Most likely this is my last hunt. I may go home later today having not killed a deer for the first time in decades. My priorities have changed, health ain't what it used to be, I'm old and the clock is ticking. My mind is still young but my body keeps telling me that lots of things will never be done again.

MUP

Steve, you've read my posts about this very thing and I'm out here this morning. Most likely this is my last hunt. I may go home later today having not killed a deer for the first time in decades. My priorities have changed, health ain't what it used to be, I'm old and the clock is ticking. My mind is still young but my body keeps telling me that lots of things will never be done again.
My priorities may be shifting as well. We still have the .22 matches to burn up!

Hduke86

Won't say it's old age for me or even health issues but the daily grind can get to me and snatch away my motivation. This year has been great for my youngest with turkey season being the best we've had and him taking a few deer. I had some pretty large and significant adjustments to make this year compared to the previous 4-5 years. It sort of tossed me for a loop but Lord willing I'll be done completely with that stuff in a month or two.

backyardtndeer

Definitely understand about Dr visits. I was slowing down and had lack of motivation to drag my rear end to a stand a couple years ago. My wife even fussed at me about not taking advantage of all my opportunities. Not sure what's happened, but I have been more motivated this year. If I didn't have this crud, I would have gone this weekend, but just can't shake the migraine that's with this crap and didn't want to make it worse by sitting in the wind when I know the chances of me killing another deer this season is slim to nil. May still take my son this afternoon if the wind lays down.

Billboy

I've often thought about the days when I may not be able to get out in the woods. Been in the woods since I was a kid. In my mid-fifties now and time is flying by. I can still climb any mtn I feel like, but I know those days will end someday. It's a little depressing, but at the same time I've been motivated to hunt even more this year. As long as my body will do it, I'll keep at it.

MUP

The desire is still there, for the most part, but the arthritis that's taking over in my back is really becoming a limiting factor as well. Having two separate accidents in my youth, where I had broken vertebrae from each, has caught up with me now. It's painful to lie down to sleep even, let alone standing/sitting and working thru the day. Good news is I haven't started taking any arthritis meds yet, just ibuprofen so far, but that's getting to be an almost daily regimen.

Tenntrapper

I wonder how much of it is social media. I know that for me, I spend waaay to much time on here. I don't do other social media platforms... mostly just tndeer. I can get up at 5, grab my phone, and next thing I know...it's noon...or 5....or 10,etc. I then feel like my day is wasted....but get up and do it again the next day. The whole time blaming "lack of time" for not going hunting/fishing....or other projects.
I really need to get this under control...but here I am...🙄

Chickenrig

I'm right there with ya'll .Time on this earth has a way of changing a persons perspective.
As i grow older and somewhat wiser 🥴 and a whole lot more in aches & pains it becomes less of a priority to go hunt.

Gravey

Bad part is...I would just take my phone and sit there reading tndeer instead of watching for deer... 😂
Find those spots where you don't have phone access and you won't look at it. We have some spots on our lease where you don't have enough service for the pages to load. 😂

As for the hunt I still have the drive although it's not what it was. My favorite part is siting around the campfire at night.

Wiley

Bad part is...I would just take my phone and sit there reading tndeer instead of watching for deer... 😂
I've been doing this for a day and a half now. I'm in a little 4x4 shooting house that sits on the ground. Checking in on here constantly. So far, since yesterday morning I have had 11different bucks and 2 does in front of me but no shooters. Got some videos that I'll post next week.

DMD

I got to recognizing my days of deer hunting are numbered a few years ago as i saw my older hunting friends slowing down, quitting, and passing away. I was starting to not feel well and my stamina for the season long grind was waning. I couldn't lean over and pick something up or if I dropped something on the platform of my climber, it was right near impossible to get it 😂. These things were a big part of my deciding to do something about it. I shed a boatload of weight and started running. At 58, I still know my days are limited - but I feel better than I have in many years and I'm able to do anything i could at 25 and I can enjoy whatever days I have left to deer hunt.

Latest posts