Time

MUP

Same story here I have the want to. Just no drive to follow through anymore. I'm tired all the time it seems. I'm making appointments to the doc to see why. It's just not a normal tired. I can sleep 8 hours and still be tired. That really drags any motivation I might have had right away. My lower back blows out 2 weeks I took off work last week of November first week December. Funny part is it blew out leaning over table cleaning deer meat somebody else gave me.
Have them check your testosterone level for sure. They'll likely recommend a sleep study as well. That's where I'm at, plus a couple other things being tested.

CliffordN

I turned 74 in November. My motivation comes from realizing that at some point I will not be able to go. I got back into a climber this year, and even killed a buck while I was in one. I also spent a lot of time hunting on the ground, some in a lock on, and some in ladder stands, all depending on how I felt that day. I was accompanied by two younger friends, one 62, the other 67. Together, we dragged em out, and we had a blast.
I was out there yesterday, trying to fill the second buck tag. And, I am about to head out this morning to see if I can find a doe, because I decided to make some sausage.
Each day is precious to me, and I can go when I want to. The luxury of having that much free time, allows me to choose the days. Before, I was at the mercy of my job, and had to go on terrible days, when the weather conditions were awful, or lose a chance to be out there.
I am truly glad those days are behind me now. Looking forward to next season, and planning to be in the woods scouting and planning some changes in the next few days. It ain't over till it's over, right?

tdt5446

This season, unlike the many others, and especially on my last hunt of the season yesterday, prompted me to think of something I've rarely let cross my mind thru the years, but as I forced my tired hind end to get out there that last time this year, I wondered, and dwelled on the thought that this could be the last hunt for me. I've read some other posts about this this year even, but it settled on me while I was in the stand Saturday. Beautiful, cloudy, and drizzly day for a hunt, but with all it took for me to actually make myself go, I had to wonder. Health issues are creeping up on me and starting to affect my free time with Dr visits and planning for Dr visits, and calling them to ask them to redo their error in scheduling at the wrong facility etc, but I digress, time is becoming a more limiting factor, as well as just trying to feel like going. Anyone else feeling the effects of time and getting older?
I understand exactly how you feel! My hunting and fishing time is limited for the same reasons you have listed. These days, my success is sometimes measured by the successes of those I have mentored through the years. It is inspiring to see "seniors" still getting out there and sharing pics of their harvests. It has been a good ride, and here is hoping there are a few more hunts left for the both of us!

mike243

Have been struggling with shoulder problems for a few years and it got worse this year, will have to get it fixed soon, the thought of never hunting again is depressing but shooting a 300wm hurts bad, it also impacts every other thing I need to do or want to do, can't cast to fish like I use to, wore my body out making a living, lot of life left I hope for both of us lol

muddyboots

56 here and have no issues. I had nearly quit. My places that I could hunt were not what I wanted and my desire to go had left. Fast forward to now I have some new places to go and have made my old places better and I'm back motivated. I had a year like mup is talking about with 2 ruptured disks but I powered through by using the pain meds. That saved me. I realize don't help everyone but it kept my life going for a year. Knowing I have a chance to kill a giant everytime I go has really helped me to stay motivated. Good luck guys. Enjoy it when u feel good. Don't sweat it when you don't go.

BSK

56 here and have no issues. I had nearly quit. My places that I could hunt were not what I wanted and my desire to go had left. Fast forward to now I have some new places to go and have made my old places better and I'm back motivated. I had a year like mup is talking about with 2 ruptured disks but I powered through by using the pain meds. That saved me. I realize don't help everyone but it kept my life going for a year. Knowing I have a chance to kill a giant everytime I go has really helped me to stay motivated. Good luck guys. Enjoy it when u feel good. Don't sweat it when you don't go.
muddyboots, what did you have done about your disks?

TNhunter

I used to just hunt from opening day of bow to the last evening of the season most every weekend I was in a stand. I'd scout before the season. Now I don't step in the woods until muzzleloader season and don't usually hunt after the weekend after Thanksgiving. If I make it out 4-6 times I'm lucky. I miss it for sure. But to be honest those four weeks of Nov are the best time to be in the woods anyways.

agelessssone

I used to just hunt from opening day of bow to the last evening of the season most every weekend I was in a stand. I'd scout before the season. Now I don't step in the woods until muzzleloader season and don't usually hunt after the weekend after Thanksgiving. If I make it out 4-6 times I'm lucky. I miss it for sure. But to be honest those four weeks of Nov are the best time to be in the woods anyways.
You sound so much like me.
I hunted the 14, 15th and 17th of November to beat the rifle season guys to the processor.
Took two bucks and one doe to fill the freezer.
I no longer hunt for the thrill of the chase or the kill, just for the meat as me and my family really enjoy our venison dinners.
Don't know what the next few years will bring, but sure hate to miss out on venison.

megalomaniac

Hunting is supposed to be FUN! the best thing about getting older is you are over killing the biggest deer in the county. Once you get over that, you focus on what brings you the most gratification. For me, it's making sure I recruit the next generation.

Took my daughter's boyfriend to the farm this year. My daughter really wanted to sacrifice her hunting for her boyfriend (girls do that silly stuff). So the 3 of us hunted hard 5 days straight. We passed up a bunch of young bucks, and on the last hour of the last day, this 3.5yo the adults had passed up multiple times came out. He drilled him, and was the most excited I've seen a kid in years. His first deer ever, nice 3.5yo. That's what it's all about.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231223_105743_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231223_105743_Gallery.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 3

huvrman

Bad part is...I would just take my phone and sit there reading tndeer instead of watching for deer... 😂
I can't imagine spending five hours in a stand without something to read, game to play, or a text to send. Yet, as a teen did it all the time.

muddyboots

So glad to hear that. I'm sure I'm headed in the same direction in the not too distant future.
It will get to 24 hrs of pain and you will give in. Good luck. I know everyone is different but I have had zero problems since. Going on 10 years. The dr told me it will mess up again but enjoy it while it's good!! Dr OShaughnessy is who I had if it matters. That's just who my primary dr recommended.

Latest posts