Planning time off

DMD

You will get all kinds of answers. I've been hunting Roane and Morgan County for years. First three weeks of November are good. Weather plays the biggest factor in narrowing it down from there. The last week of November can be really good too. As far as the best week, too many other factors to narrow that down a year ahead, imo. Weather, food sources, hunting pressure, etc all play a factor in determining best week.

BSK

Hard to say for certain but this is where trail cams shine. Having historical trail cam data will show you a span of time when that specific property has the most daylight activity for bucks. My place in Ohio is last week of October. Here in southern middle TN it's second week of November. And it's a repeating pattern year after year in terms of timeline.
Hes got cams up but they just went up this year so not alot of data to collect from. I like this idea though.

We've been discussing possibly setting up some food plots or something, but the area is all woods. Lots of work.

BT
You're going to love the cam data, if you use it wisely. To say I'm a bit anal about my trail-camera data would be a serious understatement. Below is a graph of all older buck camera events over the last 7 years from a single property, October through December (the red line is total events, the black line just those events that occurred during legal shooting hours ["Daylight"]). Looking at this data makes it clear what are traditionally the best days to be hunting on this property. Every property will be different.

Attachments

• Daily Older Buck.jpg
    Daily Older Buck.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 6

Black Titan

You're going to love the cam data, if you use it wisely. To say I'm a bit anal about my trail-camera data would be a serious understatement. Below is a graph of all older buck camera events over the last 7 years from a single property, October through December (the red line is total events, the black line just those events that occurred during legal shooting hours ["Daylight"]). Looking at this data makes it clear what are traditionally the best days to be hunting on this property. Every property will be different.

Hmmm....for me to extrapolate the correct data from that chart, I'm going to need the EXACT gps coordinates of those trail cams 😅

We will have to do this going forward. This is his first year on the property and he's got several cams up. Havent seen any monsters but there's some decent 6 points and 2 7 points up there pretty consistently.

We'll have to work on getting a system down. I like what you've done with the charts. Due to work and life, he hasn't been able to be consistent in checking the cards and any kind of data collection. I'll have to see if he will let me dig a little further into it. So far he just sends me screen captures of some of the deer that show up.

BT

Ski

Due to work and life, he hasn't been able to be consistent in checking the cards and any kind of data collection. I'll have to see if he will let me dig a little further into it. So far he just sends me screen captures of some of the deer that show up.

That's the beauty of it. The info you get this year doesn't matter for this season. You can wait until season closes to check cams. You're only after the big picture, the time frame when the most and biggest bucks are active on the property. It'll repeat next year same time. And with every successive year's data you will begin seeing repeating dates, specific days that are hot. Nothing is guaranteed but it sure increases the odds.

BSK

Hmmm....for me to extrapolate the correct data from that chart, I'm going to need the EXACT gps coordinates of those trail cams 😅

We will have to do this going forward. This is his first year on the property and he's got several cams up. Havent seen any monsters but there's some decent 6 points and 2 7 points up there pretty consistently.

We'll have to work on getting a system down. I like what you've done with the charts. Due to work and life, he hasn't been able to be consistent in checking the cards and any kind of data collection. I'll have to see if he will let me dig a little further into it. So far he just sends me screen captures of some of the deer that show up.

BT
Excel Spreadsheets are your friend! I log every buck picture (or at least, every "event," the time a buck first triggers the camera). I enter the date, time, location, and estimated buck age. That would be a good starting point for analyzing trail-camera data.

Latest posts