Time

Chiflyguy

This season, unlike the many others, and especially on my last hunt of the season yesterday, prompted me to think of something I've rarely let cross my mind thru the years, but as I forced my tired hind end to get out there that last time this year, I wondered, and dwelled on the thought that this could be the last hunt for me. I've read some other posts about this this year even, but it settled on me while I was in the stand Saturday. Beautiful, cloudy, and drizzly day for a hunt, but with all it took for me to actually make myself go, I had to wonder. Health issues are creeping up on me and starting to affect my free time with Dr visits and planning for Dr visits, and calling them to ask them to redo their error in scheduling at the wrong facility etc, but I digress, time is becoming a more limiting factor, as well as just trying to feel like going. Anyone else feeling the effects of time and getting older?
Hunt when you really want to.
I forced myself this season.
Take care of your health first.
Do you fish?

Rabbitkil

Many ( myself included ) would probably have more drive and energy to actually hunt if they took more care of their bodies and worked on getting in better shape during the offseason.

I know losing 70lbs this year has made my desire come back but the "want" hasn't just because I have had no one to hunt with since dad passed. Never was about the kill for me

But my brother is seemingly finally getting more desire to hunt so maybe he will stick with it and I'll have someone to hunt with again

MUP

Hunt when you really want to.
I forced myself this season.
Take care of your health first.
Do you fish?
I used to fish but just don't anymore. The mining pits around on the mtn used to be my favorite places to fish. Snake infested, high wall shale banks that you could slide off into the water from if you weren't on your game, but man that was some good fishing, caught up to 6+ lb bass out of those waters.

killingtime 41

Same story here I have the want to. Just no drive to follow through anymore. I'm tired all the time it seems. I'm making appointments to the doc to see why. It's just not a normal tired. I can sleep 8 hours and still be tired. That really drags any motivation I might have had right away. My lower back blows out 2 weeks I took off work last week of November first week December. Funny part is it blew out leaning over table cleaning deer meat somebody else gave me.

Hduke86

I would start running and exercising, but when your back feels like it's going to snap with sudden jolts or impacts it just ain't going to happen. Diet is my option at this point
Get you a membership to YMCA and swim or get on a glider bike. I know the old ladies would love to see you in a Speedo down at the Y

MUP

Get you a membership to YMCA and swim or get on a glider bike. I know the old ladies would love to see you in a Speedo down at the Y
The Simpsons Loop GIF

Snake

Yeah same ole sing and dance routine for me . Did enjoy going out the few times I did go out and with success it helps keeping my drive to go . Being 69 I've got a really bad back so I have to push myself to just go . It's really not that difficult to get to a stand I can either walk about 100 to 150 yards or drive to about 100 to 300 yards to either stand I want to hunt out of . Not being able to sleep keeps me tired and if I take something it makes me feel drained the next day . Not really complaining because I've be blessed and when I go my last hunt I'll still thank the Lord for the many deer I've killed . We all know there will be that " last " hunt so we just have to take it in stride and be appreciative of the time we've had in God's creation.

Rackseeker

I was kinda getting that way but my son in law hunted with me this season. And kinda got me going again. We had a good season with 3 solid 4.5 yr old bucks. He had a chance at another shooter but the buck was chasing a doe and he couldn't get a shot on him. We talked on the way home this morning about what we were going to do different next season. Being 52 yrs old and trying to keep up with a 25 yr old in the mountain I feel like I'm still in pretty good shape.

Creek

I have really been surprised at how fast the passing of time seems to be increasing with age.
I bought a cheap clock at WM and removed the back cover, hooked a cordless drill to it in reverse at full speed for five hours straight but just like the rest of my body functions, it didn't work :confused:
Dont forget, never take your eyes off the grand prize. I know, easier said than done.

Last edited:

mike52

I'm in a small hunting club in Wilson County. At one of our meetings to discuss things that would help the club,we were discussing about building something as cheap as possible. One of the younger member said " That will not last 20 years." I will be 72 in Feb and another member will be 74. WE looked at each other and in unison said "SO ? " Have not lost desire to hunt but not near as mad at them as I once was.

Lost Lake

I understand, but from a slightly different perspective. I have two close hunting buddies, one two years younger, (I'm 54) and the other soon to be 70 this Spring. I hunted alone a lot up until around 30, but these two guys became great friends and it's been a blast.

But, the 70 year old is dealing with crippling neuropathy in his feet. We do everything possible to keep him going without damaging his pride. Most times he's pretty good about letting us fret over him. I've threatened to do whatever it takes though, to get him to a stand if he wants.

I see the day coming when he'll not be able to walk to his stands, and we've been thru some awesome and rugged hunts over the years. As rough as it'll be on him, it'll be rough on us as well when he no longer joins us. He's not an overly emotional person, and doesn't let on much but I know it'll take some of the fire out of him.

We are at the age to where we have fewer hunts ahead of us than behind, but I'm gonna do everything possible to go until my body says enough, then go some more.

Speedwell-Hunter

I have rewritten all of our property's management goals knowing we only have about 10-15 years of hunting left. All of the hunters I hunt with (family members) are in their 60s and early 70s. Will we be climbing into ladder stands in our late 70s or early 80s? Doubtful.
Get some towers brother? I want you to hunt until your 80s

Latest posts